Exhaust removal

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
Crimson
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars

Is there something difficult about removing the exhaust on the XJ600S? I need to remove the exhaust to fix a seized sump plug bolt (it's an aftermarket Nexxus 4-into-1 exhaust and access to this bolt is inadequate to carry out any remedial measures, as it's at an angle whether using a socket or a normal spanner). The previous owner of this bike said he fitted this exhaust, and found it monumentally difficult. However, I don't see what the problem would be... Perhaps he just wasn't good with bikes, which is why the valve clearances and carb mixtures were out, and the clutch was slipping.. Isn't it just an easy job of unbolting it, pulling the downpipes out of the cylinder head, picking out the old copper gaskets, then fitting new ones and popping them back in? Shouldn't it be easy? Perhaps there's something I'm overlooking about this exhaust. Doesn't the Nexxus fit well? Or is it extremely heavy and difficult to re-fit?

Thanks in advance
A record of maintenance items carried out on my bike:
https://crimsonxj.wordpress.com/

This topic has 2 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login