Windshield Cleaning / Paint Removal

All the work you do in the workshop. Maintenance, repair, troubleshooting, customizing, etc.
TonyKZ1
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Missouri, U.S.A.
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1997 Yamaha Seca II

Windshield Cleaning / Paint Removal

Post by TonyKZ1 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:27 am

When I bought my Seca II, the p.o. had painted the windshield with a flat black color. I didn't care for it but couldn't find an affordable replacement windshield. So I've been trying to remove the paint with little success. Finally I found a paint removal product from Goo-Gone in a spray bottle at Menards Hardware Store. It worked, but took some time and some scrubbing with a nylon brush. Now I see why the p.o. painted it. I've still have some polishing to do to remove the haze / discoloration.
And here it is a little closer.

edited to reflect moving the photos to our gallery vs. photobucket.
1997 Yamaha Seca II - mostly stock, Racetech upgraded forks, FZ6R rear shock, Oxford Sports Style Heated Grips, Barkbusters Blizzard Cold Weather Handguards, a Scottoiler vSystem chain oiler. My Mileage Tracker Page.

TonyKZ1
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast

Re: Windshield Cleaning / Paint Removal

Post by TonyKZ1 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:04 am

After coming home late last night, my son seeing the now cleaned windshield said I ought to re-paint it. :lolno:
1997 Yamaha Seca II - mostly stock, Racetech upgraded forks, FZ6R rear shock, Oxford Sports Style Heated Grips, Barkbusters Blizzard Cold Weather Handguards, a Scottoiler vSystem chain oiler. My Mileage Tracker Page.

Jimbo
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: IL
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1994 Yamaha Seca II

Post by Jimbo » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:51 am

I was in a similar position with one of my bikes. I polished it the best I could but it still was yellowed and hazy. To repaint it, I would recommend painting the "backside". This way the smooth plastic acts like a clear coat for the paint on the reverse side and looks like a nice gloss black that won't be effected by bugs, stones , etc. that will hit it over time. Easy to clean too this way.

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II

Post by radare » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:32 pm

I would sand it out to 2k grit and buff it with some rubbing compound.

Crimson
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: London
Motorcycles Owned Currently: XJ600S

Post by Crimson » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:00 pm

As radare says, you should scuff it all over, equally, with sandpaper, until it's all equally scuffed. Then wash the screen, change to a finer grade of sandpaper, and repeat. Continue repeating this procedure with ever-finer sandpaper grades. It will probably be transparent but hazy when you're done. Then buff the hell out of it with Brasso (it's ultra-fine, and much cheaper than jeweller's rouge) before applying a spray of Pledge. Pledge contains silica. If you can be bothered with all that, you will get it looking like new.
A record of maintenance items carried out on my bike:
https://crimsonxj.wordpress.com/

SpeedRacerOnline
Buyin' the Goods, Online!
Region or State: Michigan
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 & '93 Yamaha XJ600S, '74 Suzuki TS185 Sierra

Post by SpeedRacerOnline » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:45 pm

radare wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:32 pm
You might even go finer. In our Auto Body class, we have a fancy expensive 3M headlight polishing kit that works great for restoring yellowed headlights. With it, we go up to 3k grit, and then we use Wizard's Mystic Cut polishing compound to finish the job (not cheap, but excellent stuff).
"I want to drive. I want to feel all of it: freedom, wind, curves, feedback, acceleration, unsteadiness, fear, joy... I don't want to ride. I want to drive."
- Speed's XJ Journal

mikee112
User Administrator
User Administrator
Region or State: UK
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '99 Yamaha XJ 600n

Post by mikee112 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:08 am

SpeedRacerOnline wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:45 pm
radare wrote:
You might even go finer. In our Auto Body class, we have a fancy expensive 3M headlight polishing kit that works great for restoring yellowed headlights. With it, we go up to 3k grit, and then we use Wizard's Mystic Cut polishing compound to finish the job (not cheap, but excellent stuff).
WOW !
52 bucks you could buy a new ( used ) screen :quiet:

SpeedRacerOnline
Region or State: Michigan
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 & '93 Yamaha XJ600S, '74 Suzuki TS185 Sierra

Post by SpeedRacerOnline » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:13 pm

mikee112 wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:08 am
WOW !
Yeah, it's not bought for that job specifically. That's what they use for polishing fresh paint jobs in the shop. We just use it for that too since we have it and it's great stuff.
"I want to drive. I want to feel all of it: freedom, wind, curves, feedback, acceleration, unsteadiness, fear, joy... I don't want to ride. I want to drive."
- Speed's XJ Journal

TonyKZ1
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast

Post by TonyKZ1 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:10 am

mikee112 wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:08 am
SpeedRacerOnline wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:45 pm
radare wrote:
WOW !
I wish we could as that would be great, but here in the U.S.I haven't found any ones on eBay or craigslist that weren't already cracked/broken/badly yellowed. Not sure what the shipping would be for one from overseas.

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II

Post by radare » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:23 am

Go to your local WalMart and buy some 3M rubbing compound. I use it on everything from polishing the paint on my cars to removing yellowing from headlights. It runs about $5 as I recall. Get a $5 pack of microfibre cloths while you're there.

I promise it'll work out well for you.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/3M-8-oz-Rubb ... d/17056839

Sand your screen with 400 grit wet or dry until all the haze/paint/residue is removed. Then step up to 600-grit (if you can find it, if not, go to 800 grit). Sand until all of the 400-grit scratches are out. Then move up to 1000, then 1500 and then 2000. Once you're done with 2000, put some of the rubbing compound on a microfibre cloth and begin buffing by hand. It's a ton of work but it works.

How to Restore your Paint's Shine