Windshield Cleaning / Paint Removal

Maintenance, repair, troubleshooting, etc.
TonyKZ1
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Missouri, U.S.A.
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1997 Yamaha XJ600s Seca II
United States of America

Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:14 am

Thanks for all the info, guys.
Wow, that does sound like a ton of work. But I'll try it, 400-600/800-1000-1500-2000 sandpaper and then the rubbing compound.
Thanks, Tony
1997 Yamaha Seca II - mostly stock, Racetech upgraded forks, FZ6R rear shock, Oxford Adventure Style Heated Grips, Barkbusters Blizzard Cold Weather Handguards, a Scottoiler vSystem chain oiler. My Mileage Tracker Page.

cicatriz63
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: PA
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1996 XJ600S

Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:36 pm

So i had the same problem. The PO painted the windshield black so I decided hey maybe I'll try and make it clear again. So I found some paint thinner and poured it on there. Worked great, so I figured I'd speed things up and pour a bunch on. Well turns out paint thinner eats plastic so I ended up with a bunch of river like grooves. So I decided to sand it. Went all the way to 2000 and the windshield still looks completely white. I didn't try the rubbing compound but judging how mine looks I doubt you'd ever get it clear again.

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:42 am

cicatriz63 wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:36 pm
So i had the same problem. The PO painted the windshield black so I decided hey maybe I'll try and make it clear again. So I found some paint thinner and poured it on there. Worked great, so I figured I'd speed things up and pour a bunch on. Well turns out paint thinner eats plastic so I ended up with a bunch of river like grooves. So I decided to sand it. Went all the way to 2000 and the windshield still looks completely white. I didn't try the rubbing compound but judging how mine looks I doubt you'd ever get it clear again.
Unless the plastic is crazed, it should clear up. Even at 2k grit, you have scratches. The 3m polish removes those.

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us

Call to Action:

Forum Images

Ride Relay

Cool Projects:

Predrag's Resto

Renegade's 93