head light bulb

Maintenance, repair, troubleshooting, etc.
Hadaveha
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: Alabama
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1992 xj600 s. 1984 Honda vt500c

Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:40 am

my headlight died last night, I was thinking of trying to find a LED bulb has anyone done any research on LED that will fit in the seca

Casper
Almost as Awesome as Murdock
Almost as Awesome as Murdock
Region or State: Motor City (MI)
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1994 XJ600, 2006 SV650

Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:18 pm

LEDs and HIDs do not work properly in the Seca II reflectors.
Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing.

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:09 pm

Now, if you do a naked conversion, install a trucklite led light and enjoy the sweetness of led lighting.

Hadaveha
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: Alabama
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1992 xj600 s. 1984 Honda vt500c

Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:49 am

Does any happen to know the build number by chance

Renegade
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: NJ - New Jersey
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1993 Yamaha XJ600S

Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:04 pm

I saw this post a while ago, just after I had ordered myself a cheap LED replacment, after a while of riding with it, I have to say I quite like it.

The camera doesn't show it very well, but it really lights the road up nicely. While looks like a conventrated spot, I can tell you that the light is being spread out and illuminating quite a lot
Renegade
"In the day we sweat out on the streets of an runaway American dream,
At night we ride through mansions of glory in suicide machines..."

Giuan
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: France
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1993 Yamaha XJ600

Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:02 am

Are you telling that's a H4 mount LED bulb? That's amazing! Usually LEDs don't project very much, that's why HID lamps are used...Can you give more detail on that bulb?

Renegade
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: NJ - New Jersey
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1993 Yamaha XJ600S

Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:34 pm

Yeah, Giuan, that's exactly what I'm running. I bought mine from Wish, but I know you can find them on ebay and other sites for pretty cheap these days. Where I Got Mine

It went into the socket just like the standard bulb, same connector; just plug and play. I did lower my beam a little to be sure I'm not blinding anyone; there is a fine line between "You WILL see me," and "You won't see anything!"

Low Beam in my garage, camera about 5.5 feet up from the ground.

Personally I love the LED headlights, and I think they work great, I have LED units like these in both my bike and my car; but others will have their own opinions.
Renegade
"In the day we sweat out on the streets of an runaway American dream,
At night we ride through mansions of glory in suicide machines..."

draco751
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Region or State: Orlando, FL
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 93 SECA II

Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:04 pm

Hadaveha wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:40 am
my headlight died last night, I was thinking of trying to find a LED bulb has anyone done any research on LED that will fit in the seca
Have you purchased a bulb yet? I see you posted this initially back in June.
I ask because I've got a little project up my sleeves soon here that you may be interested in.
If I only had an hour to live I would spend it at work, because in there an hour feels like an eternity.

TonyKZ1
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Missouri, U.S.A.
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1997 Yamaha XJ600s Seca II
United States of America

Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:47 am

If you're interested, this is the LED Bulb from superbringleds.com that I've installed in my Seca II. It works great, nice and bright, and uses half the power that the H4 halogen bulb took. A co-worker of mine has also installed this in his Honda CB500x and it is working great in his bike too.
1997 Yamaha Seca II - mostly stock, Racetech upgraded forks, FZ6R rear shock, Oxford Adventure Style Heated Grips, Barkbusters Blizzard Cold Weather Handguards, a Scottoiler vSystem chain oiler. My Mileage Tracker Page.

draco751
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Region or State: Orlando, FL
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 93 SECA II

Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:10 am

TonyKZ1 wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:47 am
If you're interested, this is the LED Bulb from superbringleds.com that I've installed in my Seca II. It works great, nice and bright, and uses half the power that the H4 halogen bulb took. A co-worker of mine has also installed this in his Honda CB500x and it is working great in his bike too.
I am usually a big fan of superbrightleds.com as I've used them in the past many times, as seen here on this forum as well. Though with headlights I ended up getting curious and found a YouTube video (posted below) where a bunch of manufactures were included in a comparison with some standardized testings which looked for brightness, color, construction quality, cooling, and most importantly the spread/beam pattern and center point. All the bulbs were used in the same housing aimed at the same spot and compared visually with manual settings on a camera so there was no variant in results due to a camera's automatic adjustment of metering light. If I remember correctly the top bulb ended up being from a company called GTR lighting. Earlier this week I reached out to them and asked to purchase one of their HB4 bulbs that fit the Seca headlight as they generally are sold in pairs and hopefully by this weekend or possibly next I'll have it in my hands and able to do some testing on my own here. I'm interested in seeing how the halogen bulb I have in currently compares to the LED. I'll likely make a post about it here as well for others to reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQF5ESBHLrw
If I only had an hour to live I would spend it at work, because in there an hour feels like an eternity.

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us