Front Brake issue

All the work you do in the workshop. Maintenance, repair, troubleshooting, customizing, etc.
Peregrine
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Salem, OR
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1992 Seca 2

Front Brake issue

Post by Peregrine » Sun May 21, 2017 10:12 pm

So I was out for a short ride and the front brake bound up. Managed to get home and a couple weeks later I took off the front caliper and disassembled it. Stuck it in the ultrasonic cleaner with some dawn and simple green and came out nice, no pits that I could find. Put it all back together, and back on the bike, went ahead and drained the front master and hose since the fluid was a bit brownish old and filled new fluid in and pumped the brake. Nothing seems to happen. It doesn't build any pressure. It was fine and working before taking the caliper off so I am not sure what the crap. Hot day and frustrating day in the garage today. Suggestions? :cry:

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II

Re: Front Brake issue

Post by radare » Sun May 21, 2017 11:49 pm

It takes ages to bleed the master. Do the following. Fill the master cylinder up and then pull on the lever very slightly, maybe 1/2" or so. Bubbles should come up from the bottom of the master cylinder. Repeat this step. By using these small pulls, it allows the master to self-bleed and you move much more quickly. Once you have most of the air out and the lever starts to feel more firm, pull the lever in, hold it, and release the bleed screw. Air and fluid should move out the tube and into the bottle. Tighten the bleed screw while still holding the lever in (don't release the lever with the bleed screw open or you'll have to start over). Release the lever and repeat. Continue until you have a firm lever.

Remember, the key is short pulls on the lever to allow the air to escape. And don't let the master run dry.

Peregrine
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Salem, OR
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1992 Seca 2

Post by Peregrine » Mon May 22, 2017 10:14 pm

Yeah.... ages and ages.....

Went ahead and, since it was dry... rebuilt the master since I wasn't seeing any little bubbles.... now it's giving the occasional little bubble from that front itty itty itttttttty bitty port, and the larger back port... That'll teach me to drain it down completely....

Jimbo
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: IL
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1994 Yamaha Seca II

Post by Jimbo » Thu May 25, 2017 11:59 am

I have always had good luck by simply tying the front brake lever pulled in with a bungee cord or a rag tied around the brake lever and throttle. Then with the bike leaned on the sidestand. position the handlebars to the left so the throttle side and master cylinder are at the highest point of the bike (pretty much how you would leave your bike on its sidestand anyway). Then leave the bike overnight. This allows for any air bubbles to slowly bleed upwards and out. Then pull off your bungee or tied rag off in the morning and you have a nice firm brake. This technique has worked on every bike that I have ever owned with a hydraulic front disc brake.

andrewed1
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: Sydney, Australia
Motorcycles Owned Currently: XJ600 Seca II - 1992 & a 2nd 92 xj600s

Post by andrewed1 » Fri May 26, 2017 3:54 am

Jimbo... i like that method ....

I just do the reverse bleed metgod...

** pump the liquid in from the caliper and it fills the M/C.. ***
.. this way it fluid pushers the air out and also bleeds the m/c at the same time...

do it a few times and it's done

bottem
New to XJR
New to XJR
Region or State: Bergen
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1998, Yamaha, XJ600N

Post by bottem » Tue May 30, 2017 2:22 pm

A nice tip there Jimbo. I'm gonna try that the next time!