Bike won't run on reserve. Bad pump?

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
cicatriz63
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

So I posted this is another thread but after I read the original thread realized it was a different issue that deserved its own thread.

Twice now I've had issues where my gas runs low to where I should be able to flip it over to reserve and make it to a gas station to fill up. Both times the bike just died when flipped to reserve. The most recent time I opened the the tank and I could see that there was still fuel in the tank, it just refused to run while on prime or reserve. I was also only around 120 miles on the trip which is lower than what I would normally need to flip over based on my current calculated mpgs. I replaced the fuel lines and fuel filter but not the vacuum lines as they all look fine. The bike runs fine on reserve when the tank is full so the petcock is working. Currently I have a generic fuel filter from autozone but I just got an oem to put on. The only other thing I can think of would be the fuel pump since it seems once there is not more pressure from all the gas forcing it through it just doesn't flow enough. Before I rebuilt the carbs and replaced the fuel lines it ran fine up to completely empty. Any thoughts?

This topic has 2 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login