bar weights

Maintenance, repair, troubleshooting, etc.
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Mon May 22, 2017 11:44 am

Hadaveha wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 11:27 am
Not a try dual sport but a bike you can ride on a gravel, or even dirt road
You can really ride the bike, as-stock, on dirt and gravel roads.

But honestly, I know what you're saying! ;)

Hadaveha
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: Alabama
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1992 xj600 s. 1984 Honda vt500c

Mon May 22, 2017 3:31 pm

I did like you said, radare. I bought the Kenda Cruisers. They are pretty capable, I think, as a dirt road tire.

webman94
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: arizona
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1997 Yamaha Seca II

Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:02 pm

radare wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 7:50 pm
I'm running an old pair of Honda bar-end weights on the Scrambler. It has Bikemaster Daytona bars with no threads for bar ends. So I made a set of retainers to hold the weights in place. Here's a schematic of what I did:

Essentially, you are making a clamp which holds the bar-end in place. When you tighten down the socket cap screw, the rubber hose expands and grips the bar, holding the weight in place. Use some JB weld between the hose and the washer on one end, and between the hose and the flange nut. This will hold the hose still while the bolt turns.
This is really clever, radare! I'm saving your sketch for future reference. The Napoleon bar end mirrors I ran on my old Ducati Monster worked the same way, but I never thought of using the same principle to make bar weights work, let alone using off the shelf stuff I already have!

Raypless
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Ski Norway
Motorcycles Owned Currently: Yamaha Diversion XJ600

Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:43 am

Hi there gentlemen,

I was going to create a new topic asking about how to remove or adjust the inside core of the handlebar, but maybe here is a good place to ask since it's kind of the same subject.
The thing is that i bought some weights because mine are quiet damaged but i noticed that the inside thread is imposible (or too hard) to move either inside or outside, the left side weight is more out than the right one and it does not look good. I searched in google but my cores doesn't look like the ones i've seen in related tutorials from other bikes. I have a Diversion with stock handlebars. I would appreciate if someone can tell me how to move them or remove them.
Cheers to all!
"Race the rain, raide the wind, chase the sunset"

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:40 am

Raypless wrote:
Hi there gentlemen,

I was going to create a new topic asking about how to remove or adjust the inside core of the handlebar, but maybe here is a good place to ask since it's kind of the same subject.
The thing is that i bought some weights because mine are quiet damaged but i noticed that the inside thread is imposible (or too hard) to move either inside or outside, the left side weight is more out than the right one and it does not look good. I searched in google but my cores doesn't look like the ones i've seen in related tutorials from other bikes. I have a Diversion with stock handlebars. I would appreciate if someone can tell me how to move them or remove them.
Cheers to all!
Are the threads you mention inside the handlebar or on the bar weights?

Raypless
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Ski Norway
Motorcycles Owned Currently: Yamaha Diversion XJ600

Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:07 pm

radare wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:40 am
Raypless wrote:
Hi there gentlemen,

Cheers to all!
Are the threads you mention inside the handlebar or on the bar weights?
They are inside, i attach two picture so i can show you better.

"Race the rain, raide the wind, chase the sunset"

Michaelphilip
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: California
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1993 yamaha xj600s

Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:52 pm

The ones i got off ebay are light too and it makes a huge differnce as far as feeling it i am going to add some led into mine they have a hollow center and then a cap over the bolt that holds them i. I figur if i fill that with led it sould be ablut as heavy as the stock ones
You can run but you will just die tired

Crimson
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: London
Motorcycles Owned Currently: XJ600S

Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:31 am

They work by phase cancellation of a resonant frequency. So what I would do is, measure the length in a straight line from the centre of the standard handlebar to the outermost end of the standard weight, and call this number 'wavelength.' Then weigh the standard bar-end weight, and call this number 'mass'. Then you will have a mass to wavelength ratio. That way, an aftermarket bar of any length, as long as it's made of the same mild steel as the handlebar, should be able to get the same phase cancellation effect as the standard handlebar-and-bar-end-weight combo, by adjusting the amount of weight in the bar ends until you get the same ratio.
A record of maintenance items carried out on my bike:
https://crimsonxj.wordpress.com/

Renegade
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: NJ - New Jersey
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1993 Yamaha XJ600S

Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:13 am

I did something kinda like this on my last bike; added bar ends where there hadn't been. if you want to go a cheap route and you can weld, find a nut that will fit the mounting threads of the bar end and weld it to the bar. Since I was adding bar end mirros and the bolt was so small compared to the inside diameter of the bar, I welded the nut to a washer that match the bar, then welded the washer to the bar with the nut on the inside. It worked wonders and only cost me about $1.50 and an hour of time

Obviously only do this if you know that this is the route you want to take and stay on
Renegade
"In the day we sweat out on the streets of an runaway American dream,
At night we ride through mansions of glory in suicide machines..."

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us

Call to Action:

Forum Images

Ride Relay