DIY automatic chain oiler

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
igorsinkovec
New to XJR
New to XJR

I'm designing an automatic chain oiler. I got so sick and tired of cleaning and lubing the chain all the time that I started considering a shaft drive bike to ease my pain, until I found out about chain oilers (lucky for my Divvy - I'm sure she was scared of me getting rid of it). I'm quite pedantic and naturally I fuss a lot over the cleanliness of the chain, bits of sand and gravel sticking to it in particular. I quit using sticky chain lube sprays for that reason and currently I'm using Motul Chain Paste which is a bit better in that regard. It's still a pain to apply though. I use a toothbrush for that (not my own, of course - I use my wife's). After two years of bike ownership I still haven't got used to manually lubing the chain so I'll give a try on an automatic oiler and see where that takes me.

The goals for the oiler are for it to work as good as or better than Scottoiler, be as cheap to buy as two cans of spray lube, and built from new, easily obtainable components so anyone can repeat the build on their own bike. Also, it has to be automatic, otherwise I'll either forget to use it, or be too lazy to.

So far, following extensive research, I only have an incomplete list of materials, but I'm making a promise now that I will see the project through even if at this stage it's only a wishlist of bits. I want to build it before summer and test it over a long distance before the riding season ends this year.

So these are the goals. I'm welcoming any comments and/or suggestions by anyone who has/is using an oiler of any sorts. I don't have any experience with oilers so any input will be valuable. Anyone wishing to join in building their own version and testing it is welcome too. The only thing I wouldn't like to see here is advocating manual lubing methods or products. Not here anyway. Thanks.

Stay tuned for updates :)

Igor
"... when my M1 and I kissed for the first time on the grass at Welkom, when she looked straight in my eyes and told me ‘I love you!’" - [Valentino Rossi in his 2010 open letter to Yamaha]

This topic has 17 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login