When I ran out of petrol, I really ran out of petrol!!!

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
BoxJarv
New to XJR
New to XJR

Hi all, First post for me here on this site and boy does it look like gold mine of know-how regarding the XJ600.
To the point, I recently ventured out on my first commute to work on recently acquired XJ600N 1994. Wanted to see how many kms the main fuel amount would take me before switching to RES. The bike started spluttering and I duly switched to RES. Spluttering continued until eventually, the bike conked out completely. Bike refused to start and the feeling was that no fuel was getting to the carbs. Guardian angel returned to me with 5 litres of petrol which I duly filled the tank with. Long story short, after approx an hour of start attempts the bike started firing and eventually revved into life. Felt unsure if PRI position was doing anything.

After getting home I home proceeded to remove tank and inspect the petcock assembly. When I removed it, I found that none of the filter tubes were sitting in the petcock body. Even stranger, I could only find the the short "reserve" filter tube. The longer main tube was nowhere to be found! I was glad to discover this none the less because it explained why I actually had no reserve petrol to get me to the nearest petrol station. I have just read the great explanation on this site for renovating the petcock. I certainly intend to give it a reconditioning. FIrst challenge will be to find a local stockist for those filter tubes that sit inside the tank. They dont seem to be included in any refurbishing kits.

Looking forward to learning and sharing experiences with this fine model of motorcycle

This topic has 7 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login