Idles and runs but no spark in 1 and 4

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
RainslayerX
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Hi, my name is Richard and i'm from the Netherlands, long time lurker and this will be my first post here. I'm 21 years old and starting from today i own 2 XJ600 bikes. One from 92 and the second from 98. My 92 bike is currently being transformed into something else and today i bought a lovely broken 98 from a friend.

My 92 in current state (Idea from the POS bike)

and the 98 (Took the picture in december while it did run)

So my friend bought the bike a few months ago. shortly after, it started to break down. Carbs went out of sync while riding which is really weird, we synced it and idle everything was good but we noticed that it ran on 3 cylinders. We didn't do anything about that because shortly after while riding a cable got snapped and shorted. A mechanic fixed those and after it ran again. Great! Shortly after that another short. Only this time the whole bike broke down. The front light was melted, the CDI got fried and smelt baaadly and the battery wasn't holding its charge anymore. I partially blame the messed up cables and maybe the 92 rectifier that was in the bike ?weird?.

So what have i done till now: I bought a CDI from the UK and a new 97> rectifier from banggood. I tried running it of a car battery but for some reason i had no spark in cylinder 1 and 4. So i also bought a coil for 1 and 4 and tried that. Nothing. Tested the cables on continuity and all was okay. Eventually my test method was wrong and it was giving a spark but very very softly. Only jumps around 1mm and almost not visible in daylight. Removed the spark plugs and they smelled after fuel so fuel is getting to them. Switched all plugs with 2 new ones and switched places and so on but same results.

The bike does turn, when turning the bike *bobs* in the right exhaust but nothing in the left. Only some wind from the starter.

I'm out of ideas... I am hoping some of you guys have some ideas i could try and test to get this bike working again.
Thanks in advance!
Last edited by RainslayerX on Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This topic has 7 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login