Minimalistic mufflers?

All the work you do in the workshop. Maintenance, repair, troubleshooting, customizing, etc.
AleksanderMoRod
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:50 am
Region or State: Norway
Motorcycles Owned Currently: Yamaha XJ 600 S Diversion

Minimalistic mufflers?

Post by AleksanderMoRod » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:58 am

Hi!
I'm looking to replace the mufflers on my XJ, and I'm planning to keep it minimalistic.
Anybody know what exhaust/mufflers is used on this beauty?

Image

JohnOfTheJungle
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:02 pm
Region or State: New York
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 93 XJ600 Seca II

Re: Minimalistic mufflers?

Post by JohnOfTheJungle » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:02 pm

I don't know but that's a sweet looking bike...gives me some inspiration for my own. You could always ask on their FB page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Garage9/

A lot of guys put Sportster mufflers on older Hondas, looks sort of like that - http://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-2003-Harle ... 2000827978

AleksanderMoRod
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:50 am
Region or State: Norway
Motorcycles Owned Currently: Yamaha XJ 600 S Diversion

Re: Minimalistic mufflers?

Post by AleksanderMoRod » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:11 am

It is sweet looking indeed. My inspiration for my build.
Thanks for the tip! I commented on their video of the bike, asking what muffler was used. Hope I get a reply. They use a 4-1 exhaust system, but it will work just as well on 4-2.

I have considered the Sportster muffler. Not too costly. I think I will stay away from the big racing mufflers.

buckinghamjf68
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:51 pm
Region or State: UK
Motorcycles Owned Currently: Honda XL 125CC, XJ6 diversion

Re: Minimalistic mufflers?

Post by buckinghamjf68 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:10 am

Definitely one of the better ones out there... the tank patina?

Jason

JohnOfTheJungle
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:02 pm
Region or State: New York
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 93 XJ600 Seca II

Re: Minimalistic mufflers?

Post by JohnOfTheJungle » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:22 am

Just came across this one on eBay - shape looks very similar to the one on that bike: http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXHAUST-YAMAHA- ... 19&vxp=mtr

It'll be a cold day in hell before I buy a muffler that costs more than my bike though :)

AleksanderMoRod
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:50 am
Region or State: Norway
Motorcycles Owned Currently: Yamaha XJ 600 S Diversion

Re: Minimalistic mufflers?

Post by AleksanderMoRod » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:44 am

JohnOfTheJungle wrote:Just came across this one on eBay - shape looks very similar to the one on that bike: http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXHAUST-YAMAHA- ... 19&vxp=mtr

It'll be a cold day in hell before I buy a muffler that costs more than my bike though :)
Wow! That has a really nice sound! (Check link)

I see on eBay you can get a slip-on for around 350$

https://youtu.be/RlCZNAIcvS8?t=39

AleksanderMoRod
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:50 am
Region or State: Norway
Motorcycles Owned Currently: Yamaha XJ 600 S Diversion

Re: Minimalistic mufflers?

Post by AleksanderMoRod » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:49 am

Update: I got a response from Garage9. The exhaust is Laser from Yamaha R1.
But I gotta say, I really like the GPR-exhaust.

User avatar
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Posts: 8241
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:42 pm
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
Location: Denver, CO
Contact:

Re: Minimalistic mufflers?

Post by radare » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:56 pm

From the photo of the Cafe bike above, it looks like he has a 4:1 header (or a custom adapter tube) with an Emgo Taper-chrome muffler.

You can get a 4:1 headers on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-XJ-600-1 ... bb&vxp=mtr

Image


Then, a short adapter pipe to get from the larger header diameter to the smaller Emgo-muffler diameter. Followed by a set of taper-chrome Emgo mufflers:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/15-Shorty-Unive ... 5a&vxp=mtr

Image

User avatar
Cali92xj600
New to XJR
New to XJR
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:11 pm
Region or State: CA
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1992 Xj600 S
Location: CROCKETT

Re: Minimalistic mufflers?

Post by Cali92xj600 » Sun May 28, 2017 2:10 am

radare wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:56 pm
From the photo of the Cafe bike above, it looks like he has a 4:1 header (or a custom adapter tube) with an Emgo Taper-chrome muffler.

You can get a 4:1 headers on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-XJ-600-1 ... bb&vxp=mtr

Image


Then, a short adapter pipe to get from the larger header diameter to the smaller Emgo-muffler diameter. Followed by a set of taper-chrome Emgo mufflers:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/15-Shorty-Unive ... 5a&vxp=mtr

Image
That link for the 4 to 1 is from a 1983 xj600?

Would FZR 4 to 1 Headers work? like this one..

FZR 4 to 1

I won this auction on ebay and was going to try to get another and have dual with the stock exhaust? That works right?

vance and hines slip on SSR2


Cali

User avatar
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Posts: 8241
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:42 pm
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
Location: Denver, CO
Contact:

Re: Minimalistic mufflers?

Post by radare » Sun May 28, 2017 10:58 pm

Cali92xj600 wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 2:10 am
radare wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:56 pm
From the photo of the Cafe bike above, it looks like he has a 4:1 header (or a custom adapter tube) with an Emgo Taper-chrome muffler.

You can get a 4:1 headers on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-XJ-600-1 ... bb&vxp=mtr

Image


Then, a short adapter pipe to get from the larger header diameter to the smaller Emgo-muffler diameter. Followed by a set of taper-chrome Emgo mufflers:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/15-Shorty-Unive ... 5a&vxp=mtr

Image
That link for the 4 to 1 is from a 1983 xj600?

Would FZR 4 to 1 Headers work? like this one..

FZR 4 to 1

I won this auction on ebay and was going to try to get another and have dual with the stock exhaust? That works right?

vance and hines slip on SSR2


Cali
The FZR headers won't work. The angle of the enigne and the cylinder spacing is different. The link above was funky; the 4:1 I meant to reference is from Delkevic. They have a shop here in Englewood (though this auction is for the UK) so you should be able to find the same thing US-side from their website.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-XJ600-4- ... SwGIRXaAnr

Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users