Working on Valve Clearance/Adjusting

Maintenance, repair, troubleshooting, etc.
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:50 am

Sorry guys. I've been traveling so much, my time isn't what it used to be. I'll see if I can find time to get the write up finished. Honestly, though, I followed the procedure in the Haynes manual when I did it. It involves losing the cam gears and rolling the can slightly. I'll try and get on it tonight.

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:21 am

Here's the procedure for installing the cams, straight from the manual. This is the one I followed. It seems tedious but it works and when done, your alignment dots are spot-on.

When correctly installed, you will be able to see the alignment dot through the alignment hole in the cam cap on each cam. They will be visible with a mirror.

I just posted up the procedure per the Haynes manual. You need to cam chain to be tight when setting the marks. The procedure has you move the crank and cams slightly to get the slack out. If you set the marks, install the chain and then the tensioner, things will be off a tooth or two.

aviatortony
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: Arizona
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 2007 r1, 1996 seca ii, 1998 Vulcan 1500 Classic

Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:30 am

No problem, I do appreciate the response though. I have been trying to install the cams with the sprockets still bolted to the cams.. may be my reason why I am struggling.. :ponder:

So, my understanding is that the cams should be installed and aligned with the dots (while the sprocket is loose; bolts are undone) then.. spin the sprockets to remove slack and then install bolt, then the same for the intake side.. then turn the crankshaft to get to the other side of the sprockets to install the other bolts?

BoxJarv
New to XJR
New to XJR
Region or State: Sweden
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1994 Yamaha XJ600N

Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:35 am

Can anyone help me to locate the shim calculator that is mentioned exists on this site? I have searched a lot and can't seem to find it!! I'd really appreciate it to double check that my selections I've done from the ws manual are correct.

/Gianni

MattP
Formerly spr1
Region or State: Silesia
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1996 XJ 600 Diversion
Poland

Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:24 pm

BoxJarv wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:35 am
Can anyone help me to locate the shim calculator that is mentioned exists on this site? I have searched a lot and can't seem to find it!! I'd really appreciate it to double check that my selections I've done from the ws manual are correct.

/Gianni
There you go mate. Good luck!
'96 Seca II
Matt

BoxJarv
New to XJR
New to XJR
Region or State: Sweden
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1994 Yamaha XJ600N

Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:11 am

Many thanks! I've spent more time interpreting the instruction for choosing the correct shim size and got into a bit of a muddle. I suspect it's pretty straight forward really.The Sole aim is to get the clearance within spec. If the measured clearance is too small, you need a thinner shim than the one fitted. If the clearance is too large, you need a thicker shim than the one fitted. knowing the measured clearance, the currently fitted shin size and the intended correct clearance is all you need to establish (!) From here, some simple arithmetic should allow you to choose the new shim size.

If I've misunderstood anything at this stage, then it's back to the drawing board!

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us

Call to Action:

Forum Images

Ride Relay

Cool Projects:

Predrag's Resto

Renegade's 93