R&D: 17" Rear Wheel Swap (RF600/Bandit 600)

Maintenance, repair, troubleshooting, etc.
ChrisMcLaughlin
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region:: San Diego
Motorcycles:: 1995 Yamaha XJ 600 / 1993 Yamaha FZR 600

Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:41 am

Great write up! Thanks for sharing all that info! I was thinking my XJ rear tire seemed really small, especially compared to my 93 fzr 600 rear wheel lol.

I heard someone put a front tire on my rear wheel and put it on backwards. Idk why : /
Casper
Almost as Awesome as Murdock
Almost as Awesome as Murdock
Region:: Motor City (MI)
Motorcycles:: 1994 XJ600, 2006 SV650

Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:07 am

ChrisMcLaughlin wrote:I heard someone put a front tire on my rear wheel and put it on backwards. Idk why : /
Interesting thing about motorcycle wheel treads, the front wheel is usually opposite the rear wheel with more emphasis on braking versus forward thrust. A front wheel on the rear wheel backwards (of a similar size of the 130 mm) will provide a similar feel to a rear wheel of said size. This is useful when tire shopping for a certain tire type that doesn't normally come in your wheel sizes.

Another possibility is a similar concept to bicycles. The more similar the two wheel's profiles, the less the bike pitches through a turn and the more responsive the handling is. Try running a leaner profile out back if you want to ride faster and know that your bike isn't going to be power sliding the rear around. (The XJ just isn't a 100+ HP sportbike, it doesn't "need" the bigger tires for traction reasons. We just like them to have that look and enjoy the choices it makes available...)
Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing.
ChrisMcLaughlin
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region:: San Diego
Motorcycles:: 1995 Yamaha XJ 600 / 1993 Yamaha FZR 600

Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:24 am

Ah interesting! thanks! My mechanic is rebuilding my brakes, replacing chain and sprockets, and replaced my rear tire too. The old skinny tire felt alright once I got used to it, but freeway speeds with wind seemed a little harder to turn than I am used to, was thinking maybe due to skinnier tires?

At any rate, I love riding! WOOO haha
pdworak
New to XJR
New to XJR
Region:: Il
Motorcycles:: 1993 Yamaha Seca II

Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:31 pm

I've embarked on the swap. Got most of the parts including a very nice wheel off an RF600. One correction: the left hand spacer is Kawasaki P/N 92027-1197. One thing I will do differently is to leave the right hand spacer (Kawasaki P/N 92152-0844) alone and shave an extra 1 mm off the inboard side of the caliper bracket. I think that will be easier to do and perfect alignment is less critical on this part.

One last thing, how can I get the fancy-schmancy 3mm sprocket spacer?
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region:: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles:: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:41 pm

pdworak wrote:One correction: the left hand spacer is Kawasaki P/N 92027-1197. One thing I will do differently is to leave the right hand spacer (Kawasaki P/N 92152-0844) alone and shave an extra 1 mm off the inboard side of the caliper bracket. I think that will be easier to do and perfect alignment is less critical on this part.

One last thing, how can I get the fancy-schmancy 3mm sprocket spacer?
I think you're right on that Kawasaki P/N being 92027-1197. I'll correct that in the original post. Thank you.

Also, regarding shaving down the right-hand spacer: That spacer aligns the caliper on the disc. If you leave it as-is and shave down the caliper bracket, you will end up with a caliper that is shifted 1mm to the right and not centered on the disc. The inboard brake pad will drag on the rotor. It will also shift your wheel 1mm off center to the right resulting in a chain misalignment. The right-hand spacer has to be machined down to center the caliper on the disc and make it all align correctly. I know it's a lot of work to do it that way but its unavoidable.

EDIT: If you don't want to machine a righthand spacer, you can use the stock spacer from the RF600/Bandit 600. It's the right thickness but for a 20mm axle, so you would have to shim it similarly to the brake caliper spacer.

I don't think I have any more of those 3mm sprocket spacers. You can download the DXF file, here. It will provide the geometry needed to replicate the spacer. Download it and go to BigBlueSaw.com, upload it and have them make you one out of 0.125" 6061 aluminum. It'll cost just under $100 for 5 of them. Alternatively, find some 3mm thick shimming washers and use those.
pdworak
New to XJR
New to XJR

Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:04 am

Thanks for the info on the sprocket spacer. I'll look into having some made up. As for the caliper bracket, maybe I'm missing something, but regardless of whether I shave 1 mm off the spacer or 1 mm off the inboard side of the bracket, the caliper should be in exactly the same place. All that will shift is where the 2 parts make contact.
Big Blue Saw Parts
New to XJR
New to XJR
Region:: Atlanta
Motorcycles:: 2059 Lawmaster

Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:42 am

Thanks for the link, radare. Let me know if you need more info on having the sprocket spacers waterjet cut.
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:50 am

Big Blue Saw Parts wrote:Thanks for the link, radare. Let me know if you need more info on having the sprocket spacers waterjet cut.
You all have made many good parts for me, quickly, conveniently and with good quality, meeting my expectations each time. If the demand for the spacers (or headlamp brackets) increases, I'll have you all cut another set. The last batch worked well. Thanks!
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:52 am

pdworak wrote:Thanks for the info on the sprocket spacer. I'll look into having some made up. As for the caliper bracket, maybe I'm missing something, but regardless of whether I shave 1 mm off the spacer or 1 mm off the inboard side of the bracket, the caliper should be in exactly the same place. All that will shift is where the 2 parts make contact.
You will understand why leaving the right-hand spacer at 15mm won't work, when you go to assemble it. The caliper won't be centered on the disc and the inbound brake pad will drag the rotor. The 14mm dimension between the wheel and caliper bracket is a critical measurement. Don't say I didn't warn you, though. :ponder:
pdworak
New to XJR
New to XJR

Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:26 pm

I have gone over this about 10 times now and I think you're not getting what I plan to do. I will machine down the caliper bracket on the swingarm side per your instructions to 34mm. Then, I will shave another 1 mm off the wheel side so the caliper bracket will now be 33 mm. I will leave the RH spacer at the OEM 15 mm dimension. I am 100% positive this will place the caliper in the same location as shaving 1 mm off the RH spacer.

Even if it is 1 mm off, it really doesn't matter because the first time you apply the brakes, the 2 opposing pistons in the caliper will center themselves on the rotor and work just like normal afterwards. The only issues might be contact between the caliper and rotor or insufficient clearance on one side to get a new pad in, though I doubt 1 mm will make that much difference.

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us