R&D: 17" Rear Wheel Swap (RF600/Bandit 600)

Maintenance, repair, troubleshooting, etc.
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region:: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles:: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:32 am

After 500 miles, it's time for a review/followup.

How are things holding up?
I've had no teething-issues whatsoever with the rear wheel swap. The rear brakes are working well, the chain and sprockets alignment is spot-on and the hybrid torque arm is doing it's thing without issue. I've had nothing to fix, change or modify.

What changes have you noticed in handling?
Keep in mind that these are seat-of-the-pants statements so-to-speak. The bike feels agile; it feels like it responds more quickly to steering inputs and it wants to lay right over in the corners. I noticed during the first few rides, that it was easy to over-turn in the corner and I had to give the bike less input on the bars.

Grooves in concreted roadways feel less obvious and the bike feels absolutely stable at all legal speeds. I couldn't induce instability at 80mph by rocking the handlebars.

The FZ6R shock and the low-profile rear tire had really tightened up the rear suspension. It's sporty and firm now. It may be too firm though time will tell. I need to get out and take it through some good clean canyon roads to tell for sure. I'll update you all in the summer when I can do that.

How do the Suzuki brakes feel?:
The Suzuki GS500 brakes (with EBC HH pads) feel great. I don't know if its the caliper or the new stainless steel line but the brakes feel much more responsive; there is decent modulation but the pedal feels much more rigid when I push on it hard. I haven't tried to lock up the rear brakes yet as I'm still breaking in the pads/rotor.

Is there anything you'd do differently?
I am running a 150/60 rear tire and a 46T sprocket. This puts the bike at 4k RPM, in 6th gear, at 55 mph. The vibrations peak at about 60mph and by 65mph, she's smooth as glass. I seem to cruise a lot at 55mph, though, and I do notice the vibrations. I would consider installing a 150/70 and a 49T sprocket, if I were to do it again, to move the location of the vibes higher in the speed range.

Other than that, though, no, I wouldn't change a thing. I was originally second guessing my decision to install Suzuki brakes, but after using the bike in the new condition, I think it was a good one. They clean up the installation and keep things looking stock. And by building a hybrid torque-arm, things look like they were meant to be this way.
JTUK33
New to XJR
New to XJR
Region:: Midlands
Motorcycles:: XJ600 97, VFR750 86

Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:23 am

Hi, I'm new here and I've been reading through this post with real interest and I'm considering doing the same thing, I just wanted to ask why the rear caliper bracket from a GS500 wasn't used? the GS500 has 6303 rear bearings so must have a 17mm axle, is the width of the GS500 bracket no good? James
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:26 am

JTUK33 wrote:Hi, I'm new here and I've been reading through this post with real interest and I'm considering doing the same thing, I just wanted to ask why the rear caliper bracket from a GS500 wasn't used? the GS500 has 6303 rear bearings so must have a 17mm axle, is the width of the GS500 bracket no good? James
The GS500 caliper bracket just isn't thick enough. I needed the brake bracket to be 34mm thick at the rear axle; the GS500 bracket measures only 22mm thick. I wanted to be able to do the conversion without having two brackets on the righthand side of the wheel.

Here's the GS500 bracket I bought:

Whereas the Bandit 600 caliper bracket gets quite thick at the rear axle:

I had thought about making a spacer out of aluminum, that I would attach to the GS500 caliper bracket with a pair of screws, but decided if I were going that far, I might as well modify the Bandit spacer instead. Here's what I was thinking with the aluminum spacer idea; I would drill the spacer and attach this to it using a pair of oval-head screws:

Firebolt
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region:: France, Belfort
Motorcycles:: 00', Yamaha XJ 600

Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:22 am

Hello Radare !

I'm new on the forum and I currently installed a 600 Bandit rear wheel on the XJ 600 swing arm.
But I have a important question about this wheel : It's necessary to have a 1995-2000 ? Or 2000-2005 (or +) it's possible to assembly ?
Because the main reason to bought an 1995-2000 rear wheel is the design which is very similar to the XJ 600 design.
But from a technical point of view, are there differences between 1995-2000 and 2000-2005 (diameter, axe distances, ...) ?
It's possible to use the 500 GSE sprocket carrier on this rear wheel (2000-2005) ?
And in your tutorial you use the RF600 rear sprocket or the 500 GSE rear sprocket ? Because the chain sizing of the front sprocket in the XJ 600 have to used an 520 pitch chain, or RF600 is in 530

Thank you very much for your help

Best regards,

Mickaël
Casper
Almost as Awesome as Murdock
Region:: Motor City (MI)
Motorcycles:: 1994 XJ600, 2006 SV650

Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:57 am

Small list of Suzuki 17" wheels:

GS500E rear wheel:
PN# Not Listed
17" x 3.5"
17 mm Axle
Three spoke swept

B6 Gen 1 rear wheel:
PN# Not Listed
17" x 4.5"
20 mm Axle
Three spoke swept

RF600 rear wheel:
PN# Not Listed
17" x 4.5"
20 mm Axle
Three spoke swept

Katana 600 Gen 1 rear wheel:
PN# 1110831
17" x 3.5"
17 mm Axle
Three spoke swept

Katana 600 Gen 2 rear wheel:
PN# 1110773
17" x 4.5"
17 mm Axle
Three spoke straight

B6 Gen 2 rear wheel:
PN# 1110777
17" x 4.5"
20 mm Axle
Three spoke straight

SV650 Gen 1 rear wheel:
PN# 1110775
17" x 4.5"
17 mm Axle
Three spoke straight

SV650 Gen 2 rear wheel:
PN# 1110776
17" x 4.5"
20 mm Axle
Three spoke straight

(I have a huge list of wheel sizes, axles, bearings, spoke count, spoke style... all to find the Gen 1 GSF600 to put onto my XJ.)

Suzuki was very intelligent when setting these wheels up. They all have the same bearing seat diameters, the same 5 lugs on the cush drive (different thicknesses on the cush drives), one of three sprockets (same pattern, different thicknesses), one of three rotors (three diameters, 2 mounting patterns), and one of two recommended tire widths (3.5" or 4.5"). I have a small collection of Suzuki wheels and it's only growing bigger at the moment... I can tell you that the SV650 rear wheels are the same as the Gen 2 Bandit rear wheels (part numbers agree as the last digit is only due to different colors) and they are 0.5 cm wider at the hub than the Gen 1 Bandit rear wheels (checked this myself earlier today due to curiosity).

Since nobody here has put a Gen 2 Bandit rear on the XJ600 yet, we don't have exact measurements on what is needed. You can use the GS500E sprocket carrier (cush drive) on the Gen 2 Bandit rear as well. You can either keep the bike using a 520 chain or change it to a different width, the reason to use the GS500E sprocket over the RF600R sprocket is to keep the bike using a 520 chain.

I guess I hadn't noticed the Euro 2000+ XJs still had 18" wheels. However, with a stock 150 width tire, not many people seem to want to change them. What is your goal with this swap and do you have access to the machine tools (or are very handy with a grinder) to create spacers?
Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing.
Firebolt
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:02 am

Casper wrote:Small list of Suzuki 17" wheels:

Since nobody here has put a Gen 2 Bandit rear on the XJ600 yet, we don't have exact measurements on what is needed. You can use the GS500E sprocket carrier (cush drive) on the Gen 2 Bandit rear as well. You can either keep the bike using a 520 chain or change it to a different width, the reason to use the GS500E sprocket over the RF600R sprocket is to keep the bike using a 520 chain.

I guess I hadn't noticed the Euro 2000+ XJs still had 18" wheels. However, with a stock 150 width tire, not many people seem to want to change them. What is your goal with this swap and do you have access to the machine tools (or are very handy with a grinder) to create spacers?

Thanks for your informations Casper, I hope that the GS500E sprocket fit as well on the Bandit Gen 2 rear wheel. I going to buy this parts and I will tell us if it's fit or not. That's right, the 520 chain is also the second reason to fit an GS500E sprocket, after to reduce the width of the Bandit 600 rear wheel so that allow to assembly her in the XJ600 swing arm
Yes the XJ600 rear wheel was in 18" and 130 mm width, and only 3 old tyres technologies on the market. So that's why I decide to have an ''modern" rear wheel on my XJ600 with a large choice of tyres.
Yes I have acces by my father's friend to the machine tools to make spacer that I need.
My instagram account ;)
https://instagram.com/heritagemotorcycles/
Casper
Region:: Motor City (MI)
Motorcycles:: 1994 XJ600, 2006 SV650

Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:01 am

If you could post up what spacers you use for your wheel, that would be awesome.

Both Radare and I have used a shim behind the sprocket in order to realign the chain.

Since you have access to a metal lathe, you can also face the GSF600 sprocket carrier down to width instead of using a GS500E sprocket carrier.
Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing.
Firebolt
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:25 am

Casper wrote:If you could post up what spacers you use for your wheel, that would be awesome.

Both Radare and I have used a shim behind the sprocket in order to realign the chain.

Since you have access to a metal lathe, you can also face the GSF600 sprocket carrier down to width instead of using a GS500E sprocket carrier.

Yes I will repost all modification you need to fit the B6 phase 2 on the XJ600 swing arm with the GS500E sprocket carrier.

I'm going to bought the GS500E sprocket carrier, but are there specifique year of GS500E sprocket carrier to bought ? Or all years of GS500E are the same ? (width, axe, number of screw, diameter of sprocket carrier (87 mm that's right ?),.. ) ?

Thank to help me Casper :thumbsup:
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:36 am

Firebolt wrote:I'm going to bought the GS500E sprocket carrier, but are there specifique year of GS500E sprocket carrier to bought ? Or all years of GS500E are the same ? (width, axe, number of screw, diameter of sprocket carrier (87 mm that's right ?),.. ) ?
As far as I know, the sprocket carriers for the GS500 are all the same, both for the GS500E and GS500F. They have different part numbers for pre and post 2005 but I couldn't find a difference. I used the later design with mine as they seemed to be in better shape than the earlier ones.
Firebolt
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:54 am

radare wrote:
Firebolt wrote:I'm going to bought the GS500E sprocket carrier, but are there specifique year of GS500E sprocket carrier to bought ? Or all years of GS500E are the same ? (width, axe, number of screw, diameter of sprocket carrier (87 mm that's right ?),.. ) ?
As far as I know, the sprocket carriers for the GS500 are all the same, both for the GS500E and GS500F. They have different part numbers for pre and post 2005 but I couldn't find a difference. I used the later design with mine as they seemed to be in better shape than the earlier ones.

Thank Radare :thumbsup:
Perfect ! I currently buying the GS500E sprocket carrier

I will keep you informed as soon as we will have fit the rear wheel

Thanks again Casper and Radare

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us