Hydrolocking My Bike

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
draco751
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

So this is embarrassing but I figure maybe this will help someone down the road. A couple months ago before I completely ripped the teeth on my starter idler gear I took a little video of my bike having a starting problem. Little did I know the problem was actually it hydrolocking. If you are unfamiliar with that term here's an excerpt from Wikipedia.
Hydrolock (a shorthand notation for hydrostatic lock) is an abnormal condition of any device which is designed to compress a gas by mechanically restraining it; most commonly the reciprocating internal combustion engine, the case this article refers to unless otherwise noted. Hydrolock occurs when a volume of liquid greater than the volume of the cylinder at its minimum (end of the piston's stroke) enters the cylinder. Since most common liquids are uncompressable the piston cannot complete its travel; either the engine must stop rotating or a mechanical failure must occur.
tl;dr You cannot compress liquids in the engine or bad stuff happens!

I knew what hydrolock was back then but just assumed my problem was a starter or solenoid issue. Eventually this got worse. It wouldn't turn over at all. I tried over and over, and even jumped it thinking my battery was weak which was a really stupid idea since that is when the starter chewed up the teeth on the idle gear from the extra available power.

But alas, here is the video pre gear destruction, if any of you have a bike that does this, STOP TRYING TO START IT! And instead find out why your cylinders are full of a liquid! My problem ended up being the float needle and seat o-rings in the carbs.
:crazy: :wallbash: :grenade:
[youtube]roT0AmWLRuo[/youtube]

Now today I'm just waiting on my idle gear 2 to arrive so I can finish putting this bike back together and officially learn from my mistake back in early December.
If I only had an hour to live I would spend it at work, because in there an hour feels like an eternity.

This topic has 3 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login