Factory Gauge Bulb

Maintenance, repair, troubleshooting, etc.
Dubbs
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: KY
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1994 Yamaha XJ600

Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:03 pm

Does anyone know the factory gauge bulb size? The bulb on my tach side went out last week, and I am going to try to replace it soon. I looked online, and haven't been able to find any where that list the size. I even checked the Wall here, but I maybe over looking it.

Of course I can take the bike apart and see what size it is, but I didn't want to have to take it apart, get the bulb size put it together again, go get a bulb, and finally take it a part a second time to replace it.

ride92
XJOTM July 2013
XJOTM July 2013
Region or State: Wisconsin
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1992 Yamaha Seca II

Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:58 pm

The stock bulb is number 158. It's a 12v 1.7w bulb. At least that is what is stamped on the bulbs that I have sitting on the work bench. I believe 194 and 168 can be used too both are those are a bit brighter. It looks like the 194 has the longest life. They do make led replacement bulbs in that size too
Check out my build of "Project Sonar": viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3048

"'Having somebody help you doesn't mean you failed, it just means you're not in it alone."

Dubbs
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:22 pm

Thanks. I was thinking about stopping by the local auto parts store to pick one up. I like the idea of an LED one, just because of the brightness, so I will see if they have one in stock. Knowing the stores around here they most likely won't.

a_morti
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Gibraltar
Motorcycles Owned Currently: XJ600S project; 2004 F650GS; 1998 CBR900RR

Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:00 pm

My bike had 3w wedge bulbs in there. 501 w3w is the design number I think. 5w is easy to find as it is commonly used on vehicle sidelights but don't be tempted as it could melt your speedometer for you. LED bulbs are often cheaply made and rarely give a good spread of light when retrofitted in this way.

Dubbs
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:58 am

I ended up getting a LED 194, and it looks nice and bright. If I am correct there should be three lights in the gauge, based on the Youtube video below, at about the 14 second mark. I had originally only thought that there was only two lights behind the gauges. After putting in the LED light it is clear that there should be three, and that one went out and the previous owner didn't replace it. Also found out that the previous owner didn't take care of the bike that well because while figuring out how to remove the light, found that the gauges were covered in a rubber glue/sealant, and that some of the screw housings was broken. Just means one more part to have to repair in the future.

HVN0_uCerM8

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:26 pm

There are (7) bulbs total in the instrument cluster. As Ride mentioned, they are #158 or suitably replaced by #194.

Of those seven bulbs:
  • (3) are used for illumination
    (1) is used for the neutral indicator
    (1) is used for the high-beam indicator
    (1) is used for the signal indicator
    (1) is used for oil warning indicator.

Dubbs
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:49 am

Yea, I was able to find the ones that I needed (the 194s), and got them in LED. Kind of upset because I paid 13 a bulb, and I saw them at a truck stop for 5 a bulb.

TonyKZ1
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Missouri, U.S.A.
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1997 Yamaha XJ600s Seca II
United States of America

Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:59 am

Here's where I've bought some of mine in the past, superbrightleds. If I remember right, they're based in St. Louis, MO. I had to replace all 3 of the illumination ones after buying the bike, I guess I ought to go ahead and replace them with the leds as some of you have done.
1997 Yamaha Seca II - mostly stock, Racetech upgraded forks, FZ6R rear shock, Oxford Adventure Style Heated Grips, Barkbusters Blizzard Cold Weather Handguards, a Scottoiler vSystem chain oiler. My Mileage Tracker Page.

evoxboost892
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Washington
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 94 XJ600 Seca II

Tue May 26, 2015 11:14 pm

Hey guys, I know this question is probably really dumb, but I cant seem to find out to do this. At about 30 seconds into the video, he turns on the gauge illumination. I just recently purchased my bike and started it at night and my gauges were not illuminated. Is there a switch I have to turn on for this? If so, where is it? Thanks for baring with my knowledge. :cry:
Vehicles:
XJ600 (In the process of naked style conversion)
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X (Full Bolt Ons, 380 WHP)

Full Circle
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Region or State: Ontario, Canada
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 07 FZ6

Wed May 27, 2015 6:44 am

evoxboost892 wrote:Hey guys, I know this question is probably really dumb, but I cant seem to find out to do this. At about 30 seconds into the video, he turns on the gauge illumination. I just recently purchased my bike and started it at night and my gauges were not illuminated. Is there a switch I have to turn on for this? If so, where is it? Thanks for baring with my knowledge. :cry:
Nope, no switch, the gauge illumination is always on, at least on mine. I'd check all your bulbs and connections.

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us