MichaelX's maintainance

Maintenance, repair, troubleshooting, etc.
MichaelX
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region:: Romania
Motorcycles:: 1997 YAMAHA XJ 600 N
Romania

Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:02 am

I finally found the chain stretcher/aligner thing i lost on the road somewhere http://garajulmoto.ro/intinzator-lant-y ... j-divesion. I asked for a price on the OEM one but it was 31 euros only for the plate, so i searched some more for 2nd hand ones and i found those 14 euro including shipping so i guess it was a good deal, they should be here next week. Hopefully i dint bend the brake disk, but i saw the chain got a bit of stretch (wheel was out of alignment).
Btw this guy has a centerstand for sale but i think shipping from Romania is a bit expensive http://garajulmoto.ro/Piese%20din%20dez ... j-divesion
1997 XJ600N Diversion
-(rusted inside)Marving Master 4 in 2 exhaust system
-DID X-Ring Chain 520 VX-Gold 110 Link
-Oxford Adventure Style Heated Grips
MichaelX
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Romania

Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:31 am

I got the chain aligner plate and i will install it some day when i get to the bike, but i think no more riding this year as weather is cold and raining and maybe we get snow soon.
1997 XJ600N Diversion
MichaelX
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Romania

Tue May 26, 2015 2:50 am

It's been a while since i did anything on the bike and now its time to get it out of the house for some riding, but first some care is in order.

I did the insurance, installed the chain/wheel alignment thing on the swingarm and after sitting for the whole winter spring without starting it i thought it would not start so easy, but it did! So the things i changed last year payed off.
Things i need to change is the oil, fix my rear brake (squishy and i have to stand on it to lock the rear wheel), give it a good cleaning, and get some soft bags or maybe a tank bag for trips with the wife.
This year i want to work on cosmetics of the bike, it looks a bit worn out.

On other news i got another bike, a Suzuki Freewind XF 650 for some offroading with my brother.

This is how she stands now:)
1997 XJ600N Diversion
MichaelX
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Romania

Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:25 am

Quick update:
Upon inspecting the rear brake i saw the problem, 1 brake pad is touching metal on metal the other one has about half a mm of pad left on it, my bad:D.
So i am going to get EBC FA104HH brake pads on the rear, i hope they are good, what do you think?
Last 250km trip took a toll on me because engine is way out of tune and it gets worse and worse, it vibrates and buzzes so much i can feel it in the foot pegs and after even after 60km my hands are numb from it. So i talked to a guy and he says to start with a carburetor sync and see if it fixes it, if not we are going to do valves and check the jets.
ATM I'm using 95 octane fuel, should i get 98 99 or 100? Can that affect it?

Any suggestions?
1997 XJ600N Diversion
SpeedRacerOnline
Buyin' the Goods, Online!
Buyin' the Goods, Online!
Region:: Michigan
Motorcycles:: '92 & '93 Yamaha XJ600S, '74 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
United States of America

Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:06 am

EBC is my personal favorite brand of motorcycle brake pads. Very good quality without stupid high prices.

While it's technically possible for different octane fuel to affect your engine's performance, pretty much the only way you'd notice it is if there was already something else wrong. I'd add to the advice you've got so far; get the carbs tuned and sync'd. Valves probably won't have anything to do with the buzzing, but if you're due for an adjustment, get it done while you're thinking about it.
"I want to drive. I want to feel all of it: freedom, wind, curves, feedback, acceleration, unsteadiness, fear, joy... I don't want to ride. I want to drive."
- Speed's XJ Journal
MichaelX
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Romania

Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:43 am

I needed a new pair of grips because the stock ones started disintegrating and stick to my gloves so i looked up some grips and found this pair of Oxford premium adventure heated grips on sale, 45 euros. The grips are almost the same length as stock 2mm shorter so it was a bonus. Install was easy, hardest part was taking the old grips off. I struggled with throttle side a bit and then thought why not use some liquid soap on the screwdriver and see if it works and believe me it worked so well it too a few seconds to get them off! I took my time routing the cables and hiding them, being a naked bike its a struggle to hide all the cables and wires but i did it and i love the looks and feel of them.
Here is what came in the box
Difference in length
left and right grips

Hopefully this week i get my carbs synchronized and start riding this thing more.
1997 XJ600N Diversion
MichaelX
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Romania

Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:12 am

Carburetors synchronized and its made a huge difference on how the bike runs! It eliminated a knocking noise in the engine but the buzzing is not gone because its the righthand exhaust that its moving in the mounts and i need to fix it soon. the good news its now i know what the problem is and its not a problem with the engine.
1997 XJ600N Diversion
MichaelX
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Romania

Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:26 am

Fixed it, made a O-ring from the rubber bumper things you take off from a washing machine, it had the same OD and ID of the rubber damper, just cut a slice, put it between the peg mount and the washer, tighten it and it worked, no more moving exhaust, took like 2 minutes:)
1997 XJ600N Diversion
predrag80
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Motorcycles:: 1998 Yamaha XJ600S
Romania

Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:52 am

Super. Save the spare part for friends :)
MichaelX
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Romania

Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:10 am

Ofc, i got plenty of those. Confirmed no more buzzing! Goes smooth now:)
1997 XJ600N Diversion

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us