MichaelX's maintainance

Maintenance, repair, troubleshooting, etc.
MichaelX
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: Romania
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1997 YAMAHA XJ 600 N
Romania

Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:22 am

I dint use my bike since oct 2012 and now it has alot of issues, brakes are always on for some reason (not the brake lights), battery has leaked a bit, and clutch lever gets stuck and hard to pull. I put oil in the cable but its the same.
I stored the bike in my livingroom so its away from the elements... what can i do? if i change the brake pads, and clutch cable will that fix it? :help:
1997 XJ600N Diversion
-(rusted inside)Marving Master 4 in 2 exhaust system
-DID X-Ring Chain 520 VX-Gold 110 Link
-Oxford Adventure Style Heated Grips

fateddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Region or State: North Colorado
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1996 XJ600N, 1991 Suzuki DR350
United States of America

Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:09 am

Brakes: Rebuild. Your pistons are seized and your gaskets are probably shot.

Battery: Get a new one.

Clutch cable: Get a new one.
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

Jim Moore
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Jax, FL
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1993 XJ6

Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:36 am

fateddy wrote:Brakes: Rebuild. Your pistons are seized and your gaskets are probably shot.

Battery: Get a new one.

Clutch cable: Get a new one.
Concur. Concur. concur.

That said, you might be able to get away with pulling your caliper and using a big screwdriver to push the pads out, thenuse the lever to push them back in. Do that a bunch of times and it may solve your peoblem temporarily. In the long run you are probably going to need to rebuild the calipers.
Jim Moore
Jax, Fl

MichaelX
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Romania

Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:31 pm

Thanks for the reply guys, but one more dillema, the brake pads are supposed to touch the rotor when riding, or not? If they do, doesn't that create friction and overheating the brakes?
Anyway i will try the screwdriver method, good ideea, also what can i use as cleaners for the calipers?
I'm afraid i'll ruin something and get them to leak because i dont know much about how the calipers work, but if the screwdriver method doesn't work ill try the rebuild.
1997 XJ600N Diversion

fateddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Region or State: North Colorado
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1996 XJ600N, 1991 Suzuki DR350
United States of America

Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:47 pm

The pads will drag a bit since there's no return spring. The tension isn't enough to overheat them, though. They adjust themselves to where they need to be. If they're creating enough pressure to provide braking force, though, there's a problem.
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Region or State: Goes, Netherlands
Motorcycles Owned Currently: Yamaha TT600 / BMW R 1150 GS
Netherlands

Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:12 am

Personally, I would pull the calipers and rebuild them. Brakes are too important to mess with.

MichaelX
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Romania

Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:38 am

I was searching and reading about brakes and i come across this:

''NOTE2: All original Yamaha front master cylinders have an extremely tiny "blow back" hole (actually a pressure release return passage) in the center of the bottom of the reservoir floor that must be clear and un-blocked in order for your master cylinder to function properly----if this hole is plugged, it will prevent the calipers from fully releasing when the brakes are NOT being applied, causing the brakes to always be slightly engaged. Brake system "dragging" will result, as well as brake rotor over-heating and warpage after a period of time.

This tiny hole is located within an area that is best described as what appears to be the beginning of a drilled hole that was "never completely drilled through" (this will make sense when you actually view the floor of the reservoir). In the very center of such area is this pressure release passage, and it takes about 1-2 un-stranded strands of wire to poke through this hole and remove any debris or gunk. This hole is not the much larger reservoir-to-piston chamber fluid transfer hole, which is huge compared to this pressure-relief passage. The pressure relief passage hole is normally just to the "side" or "behind" the larger (1mm diameter) fluid transfer hole, and "in line" with the centerline of the piston chamber, but "behind" the fluid transfer hole, towards the brake hand lever side of the master cylinder.

When rebuilding your master cylinder, make sure that this tiny relief passage is free and clear! Failure to clean this passage fully is one of the major over-looked "gotch-ya!" situations that arise when rebuilding your master cylinder.''
This is the link: http://www.xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=44636.html

I guess after reading this i must rebuild all the brake system, get stainless steel brake lines, and repaint front master cylinder!
1997 XJ600N Diversion

MichaelX
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Romania

Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:41 am

I was looking at the bike and saw alot of oil at the shifter, so i removed the cover where the front sprocket is and i saw i was missing a neutral safety switch screw, anyone know the size and type of those screws? Is it normal to have oil there?
1997 XJ600N Diversion

Full Circle
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Region or State: Ontario, Canada
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 07 FZ6

Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:38 am

The screw for the switch is an M5, I don't remember the length, maybe 8 mm, but measure one of the existing to make sure.

As for the oil, it could very well be just fling off from the chain. It gets pretty grimy in there. There's 3 spots under the sprocket cover that oil could possibly leak from. One is from an o-ring behind the neutral switch, which could just be leaking from the missing screw. Two is from the seal behind the sprocket shaft and three from the seal behind the shift shaft.

I'd clean everything up, tighten everything down and ride for a bit and keep checking once in a while to see if it's a leak.

MichaelX
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Romania

Thu May 01, 2014 2:24 pm

Hello, i have not posted for some time, in the meantime i bough new tires, battery, spark plugs, oil and filter.
Today i started to take off the tires and that was a pain because the brakes where locked on, after a bit more forcing it it came off.Then i took a look at the pads and they are still good, but a piston , the small one is stuck in the on position and the other big piston is retracted. So i decided to take the caliper off, used the lever to get the pistons out (read about it here, TY). Now my question is how do i clean them, what do i need to get to clean the pistons and caliper? oh and what not to use?
1997 XJ600N Diversion