Tip for measuring fork oil height

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder

I came up with this last year while doing the fork overhaul on my SV650. To measure the height of the fork oil in the fork tube, compress the fork without the spring, add the recommended amount of oil and then use a long zip-tie as a dip-stick. The little grooves on the zip tie will give an accurate location of the oils height. I simply push the zip tie into the fork and rest it on the square head. I then count the measure the oil level on the dipstick, with calipers, and then adjust by adding or removing fluid.

The fork oil should be 111 mm (4.37 inches) from the top of the compressed fork tube on '92-'95 Seca II's.
The fork oil should be 116 mm (4.57 inches) from the top of the compressed fork tube no '96+ Seca II's.

The capacity is approximately 12.8 ounces (US) of fork oil per fork leg, for all Seca II's.

This topic has 29 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login