Longer side stand

Maintenance, repair, troubleshooting, etc.
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:35 pm

Based on Kanten's information, I decided to buy an FZ600 stand for my '92. Here's how it works and what was required to fit it on the XJ.

I bought the sidestand from a 1986 FZ600, using Kanten's photos for reference.

The stock sidestand measures 9 1/2 inches (242 mm) from pivot to foot. The FZ600 side stand measures 11 inches (280 mm) from pivot to foot. In other words, the FZ600 sidestand is 1 1/2 inches (38 mm) longer than the XJ side stand. Here are the two, side by side:

The FZ600 side stand has a boss which I'm assuming contacts the FZ600 frame. This won't work with the XJ. Use an angle grinder and carefully cut the boss off and reshape the end of the stand:

Use the XJ's stock side stand hardware. The FZ600 sidestand has the bolt enter from the backside (as opposed to entering from the front side on the XJ). There is enough clearance to fit it without issue. Here's the finished deal:

Max118
New to XJR
New to XJR
Region or State: Aberystwyth
Motorcycles Owned Currently: Yamaha XJ600N 1997
Wales

Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:33 pm

Great info as I have just fitted an Kawasaki er6 shock to mine and had this problem, I am going to remove my centre stand as this is now hanging in mid air and totally ineffective and it is now coming against the chain, I have also noticed that on the er6 the shock is mounted the other way round does it matter that it is upside down on the XJ or do I have to put the shock adjuster at the top, would appreciate some advice ta guys :) :D

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:44 am

Max118 wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:33 pm
Great info as I have just fitted an Kawasaki er6 shock to mine and had this problem, I am going to remove my centre stand as this is now hanging in mid air and totally ineffective and it is now coming against the chain, I have also noticed that on the er6 the shock is mounted the other way round does it matter that it is upside down on the XJ or do I have to put the shock adjuster at the top, would appreciate some advice ta guys :) :D
Adjuster should go toward the swingarm.

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us