New Paint for the XJ

Maintenance, repair, troubleshooting, etc.
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region:: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles:: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:00 pm

Pseudonym wrote:found them! The slashes in your pic's link are the wrong way bwahaha!

Doh!

I had forgotten how good the shine on this clear is. Here's a better shot of the tail section showing the surface. When it's light outside and I have this stuff back on the bike, I'll get a better picture:

The clear i'm using is made by SprayMax and is sold in a rattle-can. I buy it from R&E Paint Supply online:

http://www.repaintsupply.com/pd_2_part_2k_aerosol.cfm
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:01 pm

Here are some updated pictures with much of the bike back together. I do still need to clean her up, polish things and put the 2k clear on the fairing/fender/rear tail sides. Oh, and paint/stripe the wheels and paint the rearsets. Lotsa work still to do, I guess.

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Started working on the wheels tonight about 8 PM. The hardest part of painting wheels: MASKING!!

Painted both wheels with Duplicolor Engine enamel in Low Gloss Black. I wanted to use wheel paint but it wasn't available in black, locally.

And the bike back together with black striped wheels (picture taken in the dark at 1:08 AM in the morning). Better, daylight, photos to follow!:

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Here she is in the daylight. I added some clear 3M tape to a few rub points (where the keyfob rubs, where the seat rubs the tail, etc) and she's looking great! Oh, and engine guards too (hey, I got 'em cheap on EBay).

I have a 400 mile trip to take her on today, so wish me luck with that one!

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

10ldman wrote:Radare, where did you find those fork guards?
They're made by Traxxion Dynamics. I bought the ones for an SV650.

http://www.traxxion.com/ConventioalForkGuardKit.aspx
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:02 pm

I rode from Denver, out to La Junta Colorado and back thorugh Penrose and up to Palmer Lake. 380 mile trip. Worst wind I've ever ridden in; 40 mph with 55mph gusts. The XJ performed admirably and never missed a beat.

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:02 pm

shadowfind wrote:Did you primer over the original Yamaha decals on the tank or did you remove them somehow?

What was the colour code of paint you used for the red? I will eventually need to do some work on mine and that red looks like a close match to the frame.
I actually heated up the decals with a heat gun until they bubbled and then scraped them off with a razor-blade scraper. That left gouges since the decals are under the clearcoat, so I then sanded them out and primed the tank.

You can see them sanded off here (and notice that my tank has been painted a few times):

The color I used is Victory Red. It's a GM color. It's close but a little more tomato-red and a little-less metallic red than the frame color. There is a color, Cardinal Red, which looks like it might be a better match.
Scooby86
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region:: Midwest
Motorcycles:: 96 Yamaha XJ600

Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:19 am

Started working on the wheels tonight about 8 PM. The hardest part of painting wheels: MASKING!!

Painted both wheels with Duplicolor Engine enamel in Low Gloss Black. I wanted to use wheel paint but it wasn't available in black, locally.

What did you use to Mask it off? I'm new to painting, ok I'm being honest, I new to all motorcycle stuff! Did you prime before you painted them black?
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:22 am

I used 3M brand blue tape I bought at Lowes. It works well but it's stupid expensive for what it is.

I've painted my wheels with engine enamel too. It's just as durable as the wheel paint. Good choice!

If you scuff the wheels well enough (use a scotchbrite pad), you shouldn't need primer.

Good luck!
Scooby86
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region:: Midwest
Motorcycles:: 96 Yamaha XJ600

Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:26 am

I will definitely have to check that out, I think a black bike with silver wheels looks kinda funny. Now that I have seen yours I like it. I will see what I can talk my hubby into! He isn't too much into modifications or painting or anything like that. But the other day, he did say "this is YOUR bike"!!!! When he said that, that pretty much meant I could do anything except paint the body of it. I wish I lived closer to CO! I think we could do some damage to my bike! I'm all about modifying and upgrades, can ya tell?!?!

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us