Questions for renovations

Maintenance, repair, troubleshooting, etc.
92-600
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: oregon,USA
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 92 600xj seca 2/ Honda rebel 250 custom

Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:53 am

so what is the difference between the r6 front end swap compared to the frz front swap? If i can i would like to keep it all one, so i dont have to remember what is what for replacement parts. Can i do r6 forks, dual disk brakes, calipers and will it be the same or not as easy?

Casper
Almost as Awesome as Murdock
Almost as Awesome as Murdock
Region or State: Motor City (MI)
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1994 XJ600, 2006 SV650

Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:22 pm

Main difference is the FZR600 forks have the same steering stem as the XJ600, whereas the R6 will have a different stem (I think its shorter?) and will require more work. If you upgrade the front suspension a lot, the rear suspension will become noticeable lacking.
Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing.

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:43 pm

Another good consideration is the YZF600R front end. You'll need the fork, wheel, fender and triple (upper and lower) but it'll bolt in place. The YZF forks are adjustable and 41mm. Of course, the FZR front end can be had quite a bit cheaper. And if you're keeping the stock handlebars and fairing, the FZR600 option works with your stock triple.

Here's my '92 with the FZR600 front end:

And the same bike with the YZF600R front end (and VFR750 clip ons):

ride92
XJOTM July 2013
XJOTM July 2013
Region or State: Wisconsin
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1992 Yamaha Seca II

Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:51 pm

I think you might be having a bit of confusion when it come to the FZR600 and R6 front end. The FZR600 is pretty much a direct swap, like for like, except the FZR forks are a bit taller. I would also recommend getting the FZR wheels. The front will need a the axle and spacers and the rear is a direct swap. The FZR rims are a bit wider and open a few more options for tires. What most people are doing when they do a FZR fork swap is to use the R6 blue dot calipers from, can't remember the years. They bolt right to the FZR fork mounts. The reason is that they are newer, less worn, and rebuild parts more readily available, they are also in abundance on ebay for a decent set. You can make a Hybrid fork set that uses the the FZR lowers and XJ uppers like what Radare did, that way they will mount the same way into the triple. If you plan on going with clipons the FZR uppers will be better to allow you to mount the clip-ons on top of the triple if you want.
Check out my build of "Project Sonar": viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3048

"'Having somebody help you doesn't mean you failed, it just means you're not in it alone."

evoxboost892
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Washington
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 94 XJ600 Seca II

Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:40 pm

would I have to buy the fzr front fender fairing and bracket with the fzr600 front forks? or would i need it with the fzr600R front forks? or both?
Vehicles:
XJ600 (In the process of naked style conversion)
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X (Full Bolt Ons, 380 WHP)

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us

Call to Action:

Forum Images

Ride Relay

Cool Projects:

Predrag's Resto

Renegade's 93