Spark plug twisted off.

All the work you do in the workshop. Maintenance, repair, troubleshooting, customizing, etc.
AlecJ
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: South Africa
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1999 XJ600N, TTR125S

Spark plug twisted off.

Post by AlecJ » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:04 am

Ok so that just happened yesterday! how I got that right is by simply not thinking.

Now I tried to remove it from the outside but it just would not work. I had to remove the entire topend.

After the top was removed the rest of the plug came out quite easy, simply slammed out the ceramic bit and softly hammered a Torx bit into the remaining part of the sparkplug.

one thing I noticed is that one of my valves had this crust of hard soot? carbon buildup? it was really hard but I chipped it off. it was very much like the carbon buildup inside a suppressor on a rifle :prob: now that tells me i am seriously running rich? I am kind of irritated with myself that I did not take more than 4 pictures.

I ride solo

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II

Re: Spark plug twisted off.

Post by radare » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:51 am

That is a lot of work for a spark plug. Good ob on taking the time to get it out and do it right.

For the buildup on the valve; was it an intake valve or an exhaust valve? And how's the fuel quality where you live. If the fuel gets stale, it can result in a varnish buildup on the intake valves. And fuel additives or contaminants will often stick to the exhaust valves.