Spark plug twisted off.

All the work you do in the workshop. Maintenance, repair, troubleshooting, customizing, etc.
AlecJ
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: South Africa
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1999 XJ600N, TTR125S

Spark plug twisted off.

Post by AlecJ » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:04 am

Ok so that just happened yesterday! how I got that right is by simply not thinking.

Now I tried to remove it from the outside but it just would not work. I had to remove the entire topend.

After the top was removed the rest of the plug came out quite easy, simply slammed out the ceramic bit and softly hammered a Torx bit into the remaining part of the sparkplug.

one thing I noticed is that one of my valves had this crust of hard soot? carbon buildup? it was really hard but I chipped it off. it was very much like the carbon buildup inside a suppressor on a rifle :prob: now that tells me i am seriously running rich? I am kind of irritated with myself that I did not take more than 4 pictures.

I ride solo

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II

Re: Spark plug twisted off.

Post by radare » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:51 am

That is a lot of work for a spark plug. Good ob on taking the time to get it out and do it right.

For the buildup on the valve; was it an intake valve or an exhaust valve? And how's the fuel quality where you live. If the fuel gets stale, it can result in a varnish buildup on the intake valves. And fuel additives or contaminants will often stick to the exhaust valves.

AlecJ
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: South Africa
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1999 XJ600N, TTR125S

Re: Spark plug twisted off.

Post by AlecJ » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:29 am

radare wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:51 am
That is a lot of work for a spark plug. Good ob on taking the time to get it out and do it right.

For the buildup on the valve; was it an intake valve or an exhaust valve? And how's the fuel quality where you live. If the fuel gets stale, it can result in a varnish buildup on the intake valves. And fuel additives or contaminants will often stick to the exhaust valves.

It was a lot of work yes, but rather all the effort rather than a piece of the spark plug on the inside knocking the piston.

The buildup was on the exhaust valve on cyl no 2. I have no Idea what our fuel quality is compared to yours, but it is better than what is fount in our neighboring countries. We have lots of additives in the fuel but it does not stand in the engine, I go through 1-2 tanks per week.

it is quite a big chunck and hard now what if it broke free I am sure it will cause some internal damage :prob:
I ride solo