Fuel Economy- Open Gas cap

The basic forum. Want to show off your XJ or ask questions about it? Maybe you're not sure where to post? Put it here.
HowDoICarbs
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around

So besides the fact that my bike mostly runs rich, i was wondering if constantly having my gas cap open would effect my fuel economy? Back when i was doing basic work i bought a new ignition and gas cap with a lock the only problem was that after i put on my new gas cap (which as a side note if you ever need to do be sure to cover up the open hole VERY good, because a screw falling in there is a mess let me tell you) and locked it down and went for a spin the bike would sputter and die, presumably because no air? could escape the tank and it just became a vacuum of sorts. So i just left it be and ive mostly been riding around with an open tank but i feel like its time to fix that problem. My thought is the main culprit is a rusted tank, my tank does have some rust splotches in it and they like to get stirred up when i fuel up. Ive seen some posts on here about removing rust from the tank but how about removing rust from the little rod that runs to the gas cap that lets (air?) out?
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas

This topic has 3 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login