bar weights

All the work you do in the workshop. Maintenance, repair, troubleshooting, customizing, etc.
Hadaveha
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: Alabama
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1992 xj600 s. 1984 Honda vt500c

bar weights

Post by Hadaveha » Wed May 17, 2017 11:14 am

guys this is so freaking embarrassing to ask, but I bought a set of bar weights off of ebay, I poped the caps off the end of my bar to find no threads to mount to weights to am I missing something

Crimson
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: London
Motorcycles Owned Currently: XJ600S

Re: bar weights

Post by Crimson » Wed May 17, 2017 11:22 am

Hey man, it was a good decision and well worth buying bar end weights. Mine are really heavy and they just seem to damp every vibration from the bars, perfectly.

It seems weird that your bars don't have threads to mount them. Mine do, and I'm confident mine are the stock bars. The bar end weights are fixed using an Allen key. I would imagine you don't have stock handlebars, if you don't have threads. It doesn't make a whole lot of difference though IMO. If the weights are heavy and equal, they're worth fitting. So you could stuff them in with rubber washers and/or lots of winds of good electrical tape. Just get them in there. The last Ebay bar end weights I bought looked the business but were actually light. What you want are the heaviest ones you can get. Then you'll really see the benefits. These are just my opinions and not gospel. Hope this helps.
A record of maintenance items carried out on my bike:
https://crimsonxj.wordpress.com/

SpeedRacerOnline
Buyin' the Goods, Online!
Region or State: Michigan
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 & '93 Yamaha XJ600S, '74 Suzuki TS185 Sierra

Post by SpeedRacerOnline » Wed May 17, 2017 7:08 pm

Yup, if you can shine a flashlight in the end of your bars and don't have threads, you probably have aftermarket bars. In fact, I'm 90% certain you have aftermarket bars if you have caps that pop off the end. Factory bars come with ends that thread into welded inserts inside the bars. If you can exchange the weights, there are other options that use an insert that expands inside the bars to hold them in place.
"I want to drive. I want to feel all of it: freedom, wind, curves, feedback, acceleration, unsteadiness, fear, joy... I don't want to ride. I want to drive."
- Speed's XJ Journal

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II

Post by radare » Wed May 17, 2017 7:50 pm

I'm running an old pair of Honda bar-end weights on the Scrambler. It has Bikemaster Daytona bars with no threads for bar ends. So I made a set of retainers to hold the weights in place. Here's a schematic of what I did:

Essentially, you are making a clamp which holds the bar-end in place. When you tighten down the socket cap screw, the rubber hose expands and grips the bar, holding the weight in place. Use some JB weld between the hose and the washer on one end, and between the hose and the flange nut. This will hold the hose still while the bolt turns.

fateddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Region or State: North Colorado
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1996 XJ600N, 1991 Suzuki DR350

Post by fateddy » Wed May 17, 2017 8:06 pm

If you don't want to construct your own, these Tusk inserts can be had affordably. I've got them on my DR350 (also a 7/8" bar) and they work quite well. May not accommodate a weight that is too long, though.

I'm running Bikemaster European bars on my XJ with no bar end weights. I got a pair of cheap aluminum bar ends and put a bike inner tube full of sand inside the bar, though. Works better than the stock bars with the stock weights.
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

Hadaveha
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars

Post by Hadaveha » Thu May 18, 2017 6:41 pm

I'm going to make them work I went up to 20wt oil in the shocks. But now the vibration has gotten worse, so bar ends and may have to drop to a 15 wt

fateddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Region or State: North Colorado
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1996 XJ600N, 1991 Suzuki DR350

Post by fateddy » Fri May 19, 2017 11:16 am

Seriously, just snake an inner tube full of sand or shot in there. Takes about a half hour at most and is cheaper than another bottle of fork oil. Decreasing suspension capabilities to dampen bar vibration is like letting air out of the tires to lower the ride height.
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

Hadaveha
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars

Post by Hadaveha » Sun May 21, 2017 2:30 pm

Easy brother I didn't say dropping from 20wt to 15wt just because of bar vibrations, It's just this particular bike with 20wt. Feels like it has a rigid front end. If it's any help with the rode vibrations that's would be a bonus

SpeedRacerOnline
Region or State: Michigan
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 & '93 Yamaha XJ600S, '74 Suzuki TS185 Sierra

Post by SpeedRacerOnline » Sun May 21, 2017 8:42 pm

Yeah, rider weight will make a big difference there. I use 20wt and love the feeling, but I'm a hefty guy for such a small bike. I can see how someone the weight I should be might feel 20wt was too stiff. 15wt might serve that person better.

I think Eddy's point is simply that decreasing handling capabilities just to soothe vibrations is a foolish way to do things; and he's right. However, if it's mostly because it's not handling comfortably for you, that is another story. It did initially sound like you were just looking to cure the vibrations though, so I can see the misunderstanding there.
"I want to drive. I want to feel all of it: freedom, wind, curves, feedback, acceleration, unsteadiness, fear, joy... I don't want to ride. I want to drive."
- Speed's XJ Journal

Hadaveha
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars

Post by Hadaveha » Mon May 22, 2017 11:27 am

I used 20wt in all my other bikes and love the feel, but I think you are right. The 15wt. Should be well worth a try. I'm hope to eventually turn this into a bit of a poor mans version of a BMW F650. Not a try dual sport but a bike you can ride on a gravel, or even dirt road