Ride Challenge: The Backroad 150

Join a riding challenge, meet other XJRiders, or find a new road.
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Fri May 12, 2017 8:50 am

In similar to Fateddy's Backroad 350, I'd like to introduce the Backroad 150. The intent with this ride challenge is to get users out riding and for them to document their ride. For the rules, I've used many of those that Fateddy developed but have loosed them up somewhat to encourage participation.

Introducing the Backroad 150.
The challenge for the Backroad 150 is to ride 150 miles within 8 hours, avoiding interstates, causeways, autobahns, or otherwise high-speed roadways. The challenge is not timed and, for safety reasons, no special recognition will be given for fast completion. The point of this challenge is to move away form the notion that you need to get anywhere in a particular hurry, especially while riding. The 8 hour time limit is more to ensure that it's completed in one day, with enough daylight hours to not have to spend too much time in the dark.

Rules for this Challenge
  • Come up with a route totaling 150 miles (241 km) or more. Map it out using Google Maps or other mapping software of your choice. Start a new post in the Onto the Next Adventure forum showing your route and the route's distance. Once you post this, you are officially entering the challenge. The challenge must be completed within 30 days of this post or your entry will be disqualified.
  • Travel the route in 8 hours or less. This is an average speed of about 20 mph so that should allow plenty of time for breaks, fuel ups, meals, maybe even a short nap.
  • Take a picture of your bike in front of as many city, county-line or other locational signs as possible. Pictures make people want to read your post.
  • Interstate/divided highway/high-speed highways must only be used to connect backroads.
  • Don't take shortcuts. What's the point of that? You're on the honor system for the most part. Even though there aren't any consequences for cheating, it would be kind of dumb.
  • Point-to-point, out-and-back, and loops are all acceptable.
  • When you have completed the ride, post a ride report in your initial challenge thread (the one in which you accepted the challenge). Include any other pictures of neat stuff you took along the way.
  • Ride safe and have fun. Take pictures. Get a good meal somewhere.
Successful completion of the challenge will earn you a cool sticker (see below).

Now get out and ride, damnit!

arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Region or State: Goes, Netherlands
Motorcycles Owned Currently: BMW R 1150 GS
Netherlands

Sat May 13, 2017 8:12 am

I think this is much more doable. The main reason for me is the maximum speed as well. Lots of backroads here are restricted to 50mph with the more rural ones being restricted to 37. Having to do an average speed of 30 mph is then completely undoable. ;) 20 is better.

Casper
Almost as Awesome as Murdock
Region or State: Motor City (MI)
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1994 XJ600, 2006 SV650

Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:34 am

I will be taking up this challenge tomorrow! It's not backroads, but it will be slow and enjoyable.

I plan on heading down through many of the local townships surrounding Detroit and then back home. Route home depends on how long dinner takes.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/42.6235 ... 699153!3e0

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Kellogg ... 367407!3e0
Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing.

arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Netherlands

Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:17 am

Go Casper!

Casper

Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:42 am

Disclaimer: This wasn't 150 miles, only 65. My shipment didn't arrive in the morning, so I had to run home to get it off of the porch. I plan on getting back out and doing another long ride soon enough.

I checked the air in the tires and the level of oil in the engine and went for a little ride.

As requested, here are the photos!

Utica

Rochester

Auburn Hills

This house called "The Den" is a complete, old home that was disassembled and resettled in this town. Inside you can still see hand hewn beams and timber frame joining techniques.

TANK!

I wish they would point the turret the correct way, but what ever.

Pontiac

Keego Harbor

Orchard Lake

Oddly, I still haven't been on the water in Michigan.

A little farther up the trail was the awesome entrance...

to a mansion.

Farmington Hills Police Department
The officer pulling into the parking lot wasn't amused.

Another gazeebo in need of a motorcycle.

Southfield Police Department

Ferndale

Royal Oak was doing something fancy, it costs money to go to a street fair?

That was the ride, now off to dinner.
Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing.

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:21 am

Casper wrote:
Disclaimer: This wasn't 150 miles, only 65. My shipment didn't arrive in the morning, so I had to run home to get it off of the porch. I plan on getting back out and doing another long ride soon enough.

I checked the air in the tires and the level of oil in the engine and went for a little ride.
Looks like you had a good time and I suspect even tooled around.
Casper wrote:
That Strand building is pretty cool, especially the old neon sign. Looks to be from the 30's? Any idea what it was or is?

arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Netherlands

Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:13 am

I'm suspecting it is the The Flagstar Strand Theatre for the Performing Arts. Looks nice.

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
United States of America

Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:46 am

arnehulstein wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:13 am
I'm suspecting it is the The Flagstar Strand Theatre for the Performing Arts. Looks nice.
You googled that, didn't you?! ;)

I imagine it went something like this: http://lmgtfy.com/?iie=1&q=Strand+Theater+Pontiac

arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Netherlands

Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:32 am

Hahahaha, of course not. 8-)

In fact, I only googled Strand Pontiac and there it was. ;)

Casper

Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:38 am

Learn something new everyday.

The google video was awesome, I didn't realize they added more to their site then just the search. Unfortunately it doesn't help me because they are using a Mac.

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us