The Backroad 350 is our first ride challenge. Essentially, the challenge is to ride 350 miles within 12 hours, avoiding interstates, causeways, autobahns, or otherwise high-speed roadways. This is not a time challenge; no special recognition will be given for fast completion. In fact, the point of this challenge is to get away from the idea of getting anywhere in particular fast. The 12 hour time limit is to ensure that it's completed in one day, with enough daylight hours to not have to spend too much time in the dark.
- Come up with a route totaling 350 miles (563 km) or more. Map it out using Google Maps or other mapping software of your choice. Take a screenshot of the route, clearly displaying mileage. Start a new post in the Ride Challenge forum showing your route and the route's distance. Once you post this, you are officially entering the challenge. The challenge must be completed within 7 days or your entry will be disqualified.
- Travel the route in 12 hours or less. This is an average speed of about 30 mph, so that should allow plenty of time for breaks, fuelups, meals, maybe even a short nap.
- Take a picture of every gas receipt (preferably next to the odometer), so that location, date, time, and mileage is clearly displayed in one picture. If the pump doesn't print a receipt and you can't get one from inside, take a picture of the gas station's address. They're usually on or next to the front door somewhere. If you don't have a functioning odometer, provide proof of where you are. Even a cell-phone screenshot showing your location is acceptable.
- Take a picture of your bike in front of as many city and county line signs as possible. Pictures make people want to read your post.
- Interstate/divided highway/high-speed highways must only be used to connect backroads.
- Don't take shortcuts. What's the point of that? You're on the honor system for the most part. Even though there aren't any consequences for cheating, it would be kind of dumb.
- Point-to-point, out-and-back, and loops are all acceptable.
- When you have completed the ride, post a ride report in your initial post in this thread (the one in which you posted your screenshot of the route and entered the challenge). Include all pictures of gas receipts in chronological order. Include any other pictures of neat stuff you took along the way.
- Ride safe and have fun. Take pictures. Get a good meal somewhere.
Now get out and ride!