Ride Challenges

Join a riding challenge, meet other XJRiders, or find a new road.

Are you interested in entering a ride challenge this year?

Yes.
88%
No.
6%
Maybe, if it's interesting enough.
6%

Total votes: 17
fateddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Region or State: North Colorado
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1996 XJ600N, 1991 Suzuki DR350
United States of America

Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:21 pm

Nice. That is exactly the sort of thing I had in mind.
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

Tag7768
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: California
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1992 seca2

Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:42 pm

Here's something from my yacht racing days. pick a distance say 100 miles. It's ok if it's a route you know, but its more fun if you don't. post the route, guess how long it will take you to do the distance. cover your speedometer but not your tach, start your timer, put it away--- try not to use other clocks. run your route record your ending time. submit the difference. With GPS backup if you have it. Traffic, weather, sunday leaf peepers all affect the timing. riding a consistent speed through sections is critical. (I.E. 65 straights 45 curvy sections) no speedometer makes it more of a challenge due to hills ( example speed @ 4k in 5th = 6500 in 4th? ) Since it covers a large span of geography, elevation change and curvy sections could be a difficulty factor, (+1000 ft elevation change or 25 miles of curved section; multiply your finish difference in minutes by 0.95)or you could keep it simple. Taking breaks is allowed, just factor them in to your estimated finish time before you start. Log it in to a google doc or post it here.
You learn:
your bikes speed at different rpms in different gears (good to do before you guess)
smooth, consistent riding
judging time while riding, (use the sun, how many miles til your butt hurts?)
discourages racing
you can do it with one or two riders and you get a nice trip in.

a little more work than some of the other ideas, but fun all the same.

fateddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:00 am

Ok, here’s a draft of the first challenge. I want to get at least one of these up soon since not everyone has to deal with snow. I’m calling this one the Backroad 350. The basic idea is to do 350 miles in 12 hours, avoiding all interstates, causeways, autobahns, or otherwise divided, high speed, mostly straight highways. If a little is necessary to connect backroads, that’s cool, as long as the majority of the miles are on smaller roads. Below are the basic rules I’ve come up with. I’ll leave this up for a few days before making a new official thread for it and initiating the challenge. Let me know if anything seems unreasonable. Naturally, in the official thread, the rules will be worded a little less hastily. For those of you outside the US who are interested, please let me know if you’d like to see anything changed to specifically accommodate travel in your country(ies).

The Backroad 350
Come up with a route totaling 350 miles (563 km) or more. Map it out using Google Maps or something similar. Upload a screenshot of the route, clearly displaying mileage. Once you post this, you are officially entering the challenge. The challenge must be completed within 7 days or your entry will be disqualified.

Travel the route in 12 hours or less. This is an average speed of about 30 mph, so that should allow plenty of time for breaks, fuelups, meals, maybe even a short nap.

Take a picture of every gas receipt next to the odometer, so that location, date, time, and mileage is clearly displayed in one picture. If a gas pump doesn’t print a receipt, take a picture of your mileage at a gas pump or city limit sign, or something that is proof of your mileage at the given location.

Take a picture of your bike in front of as many city and county line signs as possible.

Interstate must only be used to connect backroads.

Point-to-point, out-and-back, and loops are all acceptable.

When you have completed the ride, post a ride report in a single post in the thread. Include all pictures of gas receipts next to odometer in chronological order. Include any other pictures of neat stuff you took along the way.

Successful completion of the challenge will earn you a sticker for now (see below). If enough people complete it to make it worth the cost, I’ll have a batch of patches made up. If it really takes off, maybe we can do a t-shirt.

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:08 am

I want that sticker! And maybe I can pony up a good prize for the first person who completes this.

Casper
Almost as Awesome as Murdock
Almost as Awesome as Murdock
Region or State: Motor City (MI)
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1994 XJ600, 2006 SV650

Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:56 pm

I'm out of the competition... my odo hasn't changed in 15000 miles.
Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing.

fateddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:17 pm

I was wondering if that might come up. I thought maybe if we could do a picture of a gps screen or a screenshot of a simple gps app on a phone it wouldn't prevent people from doing it because of a technicality.

SpeedRacerOnline
Buyin' the Goods, Online!
Buyin' the Goods, Online!
Region or State: Michigan
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 & '93 Yamaha XJ600S, '74 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
United States of America

Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:29 am

I'm out of the competition. Windchill advisory of as low as -20, and around 8-10 inches of snow on the ground! :)
"I want to drive. I want to feel all of it: freedom, wind, curves, feedback, acceleration, unsteadiness, fear, joy... I don't want to ride. I want to drive."
- Speed's XJ Journal

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us

Call to Action:

Forum Images

Ride Relay

Cool Projects:

Predrag's Resto