Offroad crash with the XJ

Share the ride report whether it be a day ride or a world trip.
MichaelX
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: Romania
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1997 YAMAHA XJ 600 N
Romania

Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:07 pm

Went for a solo ride into the nearby area and there is a road that connects 2 villages thru forest hills but its not paved and there is this huge incline halfway thru. So i get there but recent rains made a ditch in the middle of the road so i took the right side, all was going well and halfway into the climb i fell on the left side into the ditch and my foot get caught under the bike. it was 7:20PM and night was closing in fast. Noooo i thought and i remember my brother telling me never go offroad alone because u can get trapped under the bike. Waited a bit and noone around so i gather my strength and managed to lift the bike a bit and got my leg out. Wow that took allot of effort but i had to do it. now the bike its almost upside down into the ditch i try to pick it up but i cant lift it! I struggle to lift it and hold it for couple of minutes but there is no way i can lift it, i get tired and cant hold it no more, i had to put it down, but it rotated and it was gonna sit on the speedometer, i have to let go as i dont have any energy left, i hear a crack. there goes the speedometer:(. I cant believe it, there is no one around for 4 km each direction. I try to lift it again and again but i cant im exhausted and i start getting dehydrated. I paused for a moment to think, "ill rotate the bike a bit so the front wheel gets in the ditch when i try to lift it", that dint work, it was still wheels up and whole weight towards downhill. More rotation! I pull the front, the rear the front the rear and after half an hour since i droped it i manage to get it 180degrees facing downhill, a bit more effort and i get it 2 wheels into the ditch and its almost upright! Its now almost 8PM and getting dark. Time to start it, not a chance, crank and crank and crank but nothing. when i was under gas was pouring out like crazy think i lost 2 litters there. I start rolling down a bit put it in gear so i can use clutch to brake the rear and then i get stuck in the ditch, tried to start it some more, i was holding the start button for 1 min nothing:S... put it in prime and back to on, put the choke on and then barely started but it kept dying. and then it started running, got out of the ditch turned it of so i can go slow downhill then it dint want to start again, so i pull in the clutch put in in 3rd, get some speed and after rear locking for about 3m it started, yey im saved! revved it a bit, went all the way down that hill, looked back and said, ill get u another time! Stopped for a bit to check the damages, left cover and peg is scratched, muffler scratched, broken speedometer cup and bike was smoking like crazy, white smoke. Ill inspect it more tomorrow morning as it was too dark to see. i took it easy and rode it home without a problem! Ill post a pic tomorrow as im exhausted now, and i learned my lesson i wont go alone offroad anymore! Going off now as my leg feels like its burning and it hurts.
Stay safe out there and good night(day).
1997 XJ600N Diversion
-(rusted inside)Marving Master 4 in 2 exhaust system
-DID X-Ring Chain 520 VX-Gold 110 Link
-Oxford Adventure Style Heated Grips

Bigfeet51
Keeps up on the news!
Keeps up on the news!
Region or State: LONG ISLAND NY
Motorcycles Owned Currently: Yamaha Seca II 92
St Lucia

Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:11 pm

Thanks God you're alright. I rather have a burnt leg than a broken one.

Casper
Almost as Awesome as Murdock
Almost as Awesome as Murdock
Region or State: Motor City (MI)
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1994 XJ600, 2006 SV650

Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:30 am

Good job getting out from under the bike.
Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing.

mikee112
User Administrator
User Administrator
Region or State: UK
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '99 Yamaha XJ 600n
Great Britain

Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:06 pm

Wow.... good job you got out before it was too dark or the Vampires might get you :lolno: ( I believe Count Dracula was from Romania, well Transylvania.....lol )

predrag80
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1998 Yamaha XJ600S

Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:55 am

Thank God you are OK. Don`t worry about the bike. Get well and we`ll think of something.

@mikee112: Transilvania is just a part of Romania. Nothing more, nothing less!

MichaelX
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Romania

Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:48 pm

Thank you, im ok now, ankle was a bit swollen but its just a bruise.

(sorry for crap 8Bit quality) This is after i turned the bike around to go back.

I managed to screw the speedometer cover back but its still a bit loose.
The lefthand grip unglued again, mirror, timing cover and left exhaust is scratched. It smoked a bit but now its fine.
1997 XJ600N Diversion

ammvio54
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: Dayton, Ohio
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1993 Yamaha Seca II

Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:58 pm

Glad to hear you're alright! As the boy scouts always say, have a buddy! ;). Hope you get the bike back in the same condition! :thumbsup:

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:20 am

Glad to hear you're alright. If you find yourself on roads like this often, consider a set of those IRC tires and maybe a nice set of hand protectors. The tires will help with the loose dirt and the guards will save your levers in a fall. Maybe a good set of engine guards too.

MichaelX
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Romania

Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:51 pm

Well i never find myself on roads like this, i avoid them, i avoid even bumpy asphalt roads:)) It was dumb of me to try and head that way. So from now on street bikes belong to street riding only. But i want to do more offroading in the future, last saturday i went to the local MX track with my brothers honda XR650R and wow it was crazy, i did some very slow laps, no jumping for me:)). I've seen a race there and those guys where jumping 2-3meters up in the air and i was just crawling along, good thing none was around to laugh their ass off!
Maybe in the future ill get one for the dirt riding.
1997 XJ600N Diversion

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us