After crash check list question.

Share the ride report whether it be a day ride or a world trip.
flemsxj
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: New Jersey
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 2003 Yamaha YZ250F

Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:15 pm

Hi all

So had my first real get off on the XJ this past Saturday. Nothing serious but have to work on my emergency braking for sure.

Anyway not gonna bore you with a boring crash story. Just the important parts and my question for you. I'm okay. Little road rash on my arm and took the handle bar to the chest so nice bruise there. Nothing broken.
The bike took less damage than I thought so happy about that. It fell to the left side. Gas tank has a nice new dent, lost left foot peg (of course I have an extra right lol) and the handle bars are nice and bent. So not to bad.

I just started it up. Came to life pretty easily. Left side exhaust was a little smokey. Cylinders 1 and 4 I believe. Saturday morning I had been doing carb work and had it running the best it has all year, no smoke and smooth idling. Figured I'll be pulling the carbs and just checking everything over. Wanted to ask you guys if there is anything I should be looking for after a crash that I might not think of. Any ideas about the smokey exhaust? But mostly what problems could be hiding that I should look into?

Thanks for any tips guys. Ride safe. Watch out for those idiots that don't know what blinkers are.

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:16 am

You should ride so that you never find yourself needing to emergency brake. If you find you are needing to brake hard, frequently, its a sign you're not leaving enough room between you and others OR you are not paying enough attention to the things around you. When on the bike, you have to ride not-only for yourself but for everyone else. You have to pay attention to what they are doing and guess what their next move is, even before they know. It requires a lot of mental attention.

I'll get off my soapbox, now. Post-crash, you should pull the tank and the airbox and give it a good cleaning. When the bike tips over, fuel and oil are pulled into the airbox and can contaminate your air filter. The smoking you saw was likely this mixture being burned off.

Also, check your oil and make sure its full. Smell it and if it stinks of fuel, change it.

flemsxj
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: New Jersey
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 2003 Yamaha YZ250F

Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:29 am

Yeah I totally get what you are saying. I just started riding on the street this year and have not gotten as much time on the bike as I would like. I am still getting use to being out in traffic and as much advice and tips I read I have to remember to stay more attentive than the cars around me. It was a stupid mistake on my part that cause the fall, I know that. I was out for about an hour just cruising around enjoying the weather. I was a few blocks from home and just let my mind slip and next thing I know I'm coming up on the car ahead too fast. Again, my bad, just glad I only got a scrap and the bike is in one piece.

But for the bike advice you left, thanks. Cleaned it out and I think the old XJ is gonna be just fine.

jaszczomb
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: Łódź, Poland
Motorcycles Owned Currently: xj 600s '99

Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:27 pm

radare wrote:You should ride so that you never find yourself needing to emergency brake.
Totally agree, but even you ride this way, you should train such braking regularly - you never know when you will have to use this skill on the road.

Martyn41
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Ireland
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1997 XJ600S Diversion

Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:27 pm

Came off my 600s this morning :(
My own stupid fault.... :oops:
Bike fine.... Me ? well a little damage to my right knee...
Would have got away with no knee damage IF I had been wearing my motorcycle trousers ( wearing jeans )
Lesson learnt.... Motorcycle trousers all the time from now on....

nadaforumdork
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Oregon
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1996 Yamaha SecaII

Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:05 pm

Glad to hear you are safe and mostly undamaged after the crash.

Being on the defense while riding a motorcycle or driving a car is always the best way to be. We are operating large deadly machines that in my opinion people do not give the respect to driving or riding that they should. I always cringe when I see a motorcyclist using a cell phone while riding, and every time I see a driver in a car using their cell phone I think about how they are not only taking their own life for granted by doing that, but also the life of the people around them that are walking or driving. Something has to change with this mentality that "its never going to happen to me" because it happens to everyone, its not if, its when.

My general rule that I follow and teach people for driving is, give your self a 3 second space between you and the driver in front you. That means, pick a fixed point on the road, a sign post, a over pass, a parked car or building and when the car in front of you passes that fixed point you start counting, "one one thousand, two one thousand, three one thousand" and if you don't make it to "three one thousand" than you ease off the gas and give your self more space between you and the car in front of you.

Im not trying to lecture you, these were just the thoughts that came to me when I read your initial post.

Best of luck
-nfd
96 Yamaha Seca II

Shimonu
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Sweden
Motorcycles Owned Currently: Yamaha FJ1200 -92, Yamaha XJ600S Seca II -93

Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:43 am

All the gear all the time. If it's too hot to wear gear then it's too hot to ride.
Always ride like everyone is out to kill you. Always try to ride so you can handle even the oddest things, like the car in front will brake even though nothing is in front of it. Evaluate yourself and your ability to ride, are you tired, hungry, intoxicated then leave the bike alone.

If you're doing stupid shit, do it with tons of margins and without risking anybody else's life.

Do I always follow these? No, I know I've ridden both tired and hungry for example but some of these shouldn't be tampered with.

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us