Ammvio's Crash

Share the ride report whether it be a day ride or a world trip.
ammvio54
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: Dayton, Ohio
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1993 Yamaha Seca II

Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:35 pm

This past Wednesday I was coming home from work; I went to turn off of the state route my parents live off of (I'm living with them for the summer) and a semi rear ended me while I was riding my bike. The rear frame got wedged into the grill of the truck and the rear wheel got pinned under the bumper--luckily this somehow kept my bike upright as the semi came to a stop some 800 feet down the road. Even more luckily, after being knocked out from hitting my head (thankfully I had my helmet on) I stayed on the bike.

I ended up staying at the hospital for 2.5 days. I somehow escaped the accident with only a broken left shoulder blade, broken rib, and a small cut on my spleen, from the rib. I didn't get any burns or scraps, since I stayed on the bike.

Here are some pictures my dad took of the bike. Along with that, my helmet was cracked in the back.

I'm just happy it wasn't worse, as it could have been a lot worse. The semi driver was cited for not maintaining a safe distance.

SonnyB
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Georgia
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1992 Yamaha xj600 SECAII

Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:12 pm

Hate it that it happened. Glad you came out as well as you did from that situation.

nadaforumdork
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Oregon
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1996 Yamaha SecaII

Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:49 pm

:o wow! Scary situation! Glad you are here to tell us your story.
Here's to better rides in the future

-nfd
96 Yamaha Seca II

Leroy
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Western North Carolina
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 95 Seca II, 92 DR350, 92 Virago 750, 02 PW50

Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:44 am

glad you made it through that with what injuries you had, all things considered.

replacing it with another one?

fateddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Region or State: North Colorado
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1996 XJ600N, 1991 Suzuki DR350
United States of America

Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:01 pm

Holy shit!

How did it happen? Do you remember?
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

mikee112
User Administrator
User Administrator
Region or State: UK
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '99 Yamaha XJ 600n
Great Britain

Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:17 pm

Wow.. Lucky to be alive Dude :o

arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Region or State: Goes, Netherlands
Motorcycles Owned Currently: BMW R 1150 GS
Netherlands

Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:35 pm

Wow... That could have turned out so much worse. Man, you are so lucky.

And the fact that you stayed on... Wow!

ammvio54
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: Dayton, Ohio
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1993 Yamaha Seca II

Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:18 pm

Thanks, guys. I appreciate everything!

Luckily, I was knocked out when the semi hit me so I don't remember the accident or the a short amount of time before and after the accident. I don't think I would want to remember it either.

They believe I stayed on the bike because the seat wedged me between it and the gas tank, since the seat was pushed up by the front of the truck. I'm still amazed I didn't fall off the bike or didn't get any scratches or road rash.

As for another bike as a replacement, I'm not sure yet. It'll have to wait until insurance and everything is sorted out. And, if I do decide to ride again it'll probably take some sweet talking to my girlfriend ;) . It's just a tad depressing also that I just spent most of the winter restoring the bike. But I can't complain too much--the outcome could have been a lot worse.

arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Region or State: Goes, Netherlands
Motorcycles Owned Currently: BMW R 1150 GS
Netherlands

Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:38 am

At least try to swing your leg over some kind of bike as soon as possible. Just to make sure that the accident isn't the last thing you had on a bike. ;) :twocents:

radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region or State: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:57 am

I saw this right after you posted it but wanted to think about it before I posted.

It really sucks that this happened, especially given that you just put your heart and soul into that XJ. I am so glad you are here to tell us about it. Surviving an 800' ride on the grill of a semi is a rare event. I don't know if Yamaha thought about rear impacts but this one sure did crumple up to protect you.

If I were you, I might count my lucky stars and never get on a bike again. And if you go that route, I don't think any of us will fault you. As my wife put it; you don't get too many of these 'miracles' in a lifetime. That being said, if you do decide to keep riding AND you want to put the XJ back on the road, I will be more than happy to help. If you can get it to Denver, I will gladly go through it and make it right; and I'll do it for free, furnishing all parts and labor necessary. This offer lasts indefinitely so no hurry on deciding what you want to do next.

I am glad you are still with us!

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us