Ammvio's Crash

Share the ride report whether it be a day ride or a world trip.
arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Region or State: Goes, Netherlands
Motorcycles Owned Currently: BMW R 1150 GS
Netherlands

Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:30 am

radare wrote:This offer lasts indefinitely so no hurry on deciding what you want to do next.

That's what I think of this initiative. And if I would live anywhere close, I would swing around to Radare's place and help him do that. (Though, I'm not sure he would want me to help him... And it is easy to say from this side of the ocean. ;) )

SpeedRacerOnline
Buyin' the Goods, Online!
Buyin' the Goods, Online!
Region or State: Michigan
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 & '93 Yamaha XJ600S, '74 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
United States of America

Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:28 pm

Oh man Ammvio! Thank God you're alive to tell us about this! There are so many ways that could have been so much worse. You take your time, take care of yourself, and get completely healed. I do hope you ride again someday, but I also understand why you might not want to (including your girlfriend...just hearing about this made my wife say she almost wishes I didn't ride).
radare wrote:If you can get it to Denver, I will gladly go through it and make it right; and I'll do it for free, furnishing all parts and labor necessary. This offer lasts indefinitely so no hurry on deciding what you want to do next.

I am glad you are still with us!
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Radare, you are a stand-up guy. Your kindness and generosity never ceases to impress me! :thumbsup:

Ammvio, I don't have as much to offer as Radare, but if there is anything I can do to help, I'm only a few hours drive away.
"I want to drive. I want to feel all of it: freedom, wind, curves, feedback, acceleration, unsteadiness, fear, joy... I don't want to ride. I want to drive."
- Speed's XJ Journal

ammvio54
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: Dayton, Ohio
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1993 Yamaha Seca II

Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:01 pm

radare wrote:I saw this right after you posted it but wanted to think about it before I posted.
I can't thank you, Radare, and everyone else on this site enough for everything everyone has done, said, and offered before and during this time as I've been a member on the site. I'm truly amazed at the generosity and kindness members of this site display to everyone. :clap: :clap:

As of right now I'm not sure what my plans are yet. With the holiday I haven't heard anything from either insurance companies yet. My mind also isn't clear from the medicine I'm taking.

Thanks again for everything everyone has said and offered. I greatly appreciate it! :thumbsup: :)

SonnyB
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Georgia
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1992 Yamaha xj600 SECAII

Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:13 pm

radare wrote:I saw this right after you posted it but wanted to think about it before I posted.

It really sucks that this happened, especially given that you just put your heart and soul into that XJ. I am so glad you are here to tell us about it. Surviving an 800' ride on the grill of a semi is a rare event. I don't know if Yamaha thought about rear impacts but this one sure did crumple up to protect you.

If I were you, I might count my lucky stars and never get on a bike again. And if you go that route, I don't think any of us will fault you. As my wife put it; you don't get too many of these 'miracles' in a lifetime. That being said, if you do decide to keep riding AND you want to put the XJ back on the road, I will be more than happy to help. If you can get it to Denver, I will gladly go through it and make it right; and I'll do it for free, furnishing all parts and labor necessary. This offer lasts indefinitely so no hurry on deciding what you want to do next.

I am glad you are still with us!
It is the sincere attitude and things such as this that radare and other members of this forum do for one another that make me really glad I picked an XJ for my first bike and was able to find and become a part of this community

fateddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Region or State: North Colorado
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1996 XJ600N, 1991 Suzuki DR350
United States of America

Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:50 pm

If you take radare up on the offer, I'll be happy to jump in and help a bit too. I have a few pieces left from my bike you're welcome to whether you do or not. Couple wheels, rear suspension etc. Free to you, of course. Heal up, there will always be bikes when you're ready again.
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

Maddy
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Devon
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1992 xj600 diversion 2000 xj600 diversion

Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:20 am

If I can help from over here in Blighty I have some parts I would send over,

And all you guys rule- this is exactly why this forum is so great!!

ammvio54
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: Dayton, Ohio
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1993 Yamaha Seca II

Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:33 pm

I just wanted to give an update on the crash since I've been kind of idle on the site, since the accident. The bike was in worse condition than I originally thought it was--the entire frame was twisted and the rear was much worse than I had expected. The insurance also wanted over $400 for the salvage deduction; so with everything compounding, I decided to let the bike go. I figured I could get over $400 out of the bike in parts, but didn't think time would be worth it. Besides, surprisingly, the insurance offered me an amount that I thought was pretty fair for the bike.

My injuries are healing well; actually quicker than the doctors expected! I have almost all range of motion in my shoulder, with just a small bit of pain when over my head. My neck is also still sore (from the whiplash) but is getting better as well. Overall, I'm feeling much, much better!

I've decided to take a break from riding, at least owning, a bike for a little while (my brother has two older Yamaha's that I'll probably ride occasionally). I discussed it a little with my fiance (I've gotten engaged since the accident!! :thumbsup: :) ) and she really wanted me to take a break. So, I've decided to take a break for a little while but really do hope to own another bike sometime! Another XJ, fingers crossed ;)

I still plan to remain fairly active on the site, I've visited it a couple of times per week since the accident and hope to continue. Also, I have a few random parts I've never used that I'll be posting in the For Sale section if anyone is interested, too!

GettingOld
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: SC
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 93 Seca II 91 Nighthawk

Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:45 am

Glad to hear you are healing well, and congrats on the engagement.

nadaforumdork
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: Oregon
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1996 Yamaha SecaII

Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:16 pm

Congratulations on your engagement!

Happy to hear you are healing well, I'm a big advocate for massage, they can perform miracles just by rubbing the body and muscles. I recommend it if you are for that type of thing.

Thats wonderful that the insurance company gave you a fair settlement too.

-nfd
96 Yamaha Seca II

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us

Call to Action:

Forum Images

Ride Relay

Cool Projects: