Colorado Rocky Mountain High

Talk about that last great ride or perhaps, the next one. Ride reports here.
LeighTower
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast

XJRider is all about a brotherhood of motorcycle enthusiasts who happen to share a passion for a certain breed of malleable Yamaha sport bike. We share our experiences on the road, in the garage, and in the marketplace. We are spread out through the entire world, a blessing made possible by the technology we have, but that same blessing makes it harder to physically meet up. For the last two summers, lots of enthusiasm and planning for the annual rally weekend have ultimately gone for naught, as the pressures of daily realities have squashed the initial anticipation of long rides with road mates.

Living on the East Coast in Maine, I haven't even entertained the thought of joining one of our rallies. Not only would my commuter XJ not make such a long trip (although I could now probably make it with my XV750 Virago), the time factor is a tough one to reconcile, the problem that many of us have. So I have had to be content to live vicariously through the pics and posts of those hardy XJRiders who have been lucky enough to overcome these obstacles.

I found myself in Niwot, CO this past weekend for the wedding of my oldest nephew, and some of the family had spent time with relatives in Boulder. They remarked at how close Niwot was, so I pulled up Google Maps and thought about someone who I knew lived in Boulder. I sent a PM to our tireless moderator, Rob, hoping that he could pop by the beautiful Niwot Inn and say hi. To my surprise, he suggested instead that we take a ride, and that's how I came to find myself astride the most beautiful, well-tuned 22-year old Seca II I've ever experienced (not that my experience with 22-year old Secas is terribly broad!) Rob trusted me to keep his Lady Red safe and sound, and I took his trust to heart. But that didn't stop me from reveling in the twisties of the Rockies on our 2 hour ride into God's country. I don't know if it was the altitude or the pink polarizing shimmers I got from wearing my prescription suns behind the polarized visor of the second helmet that he picked up in Denver for me, but I had the feeling that we were riding downhill even though my eyes saw the river flowing in what would have been an uphill torrent! When we turned around to head back home, it was then very apparent that our direction was now truly downhill, as the twisties demanded slightly more reasonable speeds!

Rob told me that the Rockies had experienced a late snowfall in May, which was reflected in the beautiful white peaks I saw as I drove to his house. This also enhanced the river-viewing that I could sneak in as I carefully leaned my girl into the corners. The thing that a Colorado summer day has even more than motorcycle lovers who scream up and down mountain roads is bicyclists who enjoy a different kind of experience as they climb the grades in low gear, but are able to take in the sights in longer glances. Colorado is a bicycle-friendly place to be in the summer, and also brings out the best in our breed, as witnessed by the near 100% wave response we got that day!

All in all, I couldn't have asked for a more spectacular serendipitous experience from a more gracious and generous host. I need to also give a shoutout to his lovely lady K, who was gracious herself in giving up her man to a East Coast stranger on a lovely summer day, when he should have been with her! :clap: Rob, you are more than a gifted wrencher and Seca visionary, more than a dedicated and hard-working forum moderator, and more than a legend in the world of Seca enthusiasts. You are a trusting, generous, and most gracious host, and I will forever treasure the memories you gave me of your beautiful country. Please take me up some day on the invitation to ride along the Maine coast with me in return!

Last edited by LeighTower on Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Best ride ever taken? The last one. I live for the next.

This topic has 17 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login