Arne's road somewhat traveled...

Share the ride report whether it be a day ride or a world trip.
arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Region:: Goes, Netherlands
Motorcycles:: Yamaha TT600 / BMW R 1150 GS
Netherlands

Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:55 pm

They seem to have very frequent rides. I have only joined them recently, after I bought the GS. They have at least 12 rides per year on the road, at least one camping weekend and then there are some offroad rides as well. I think I'm going to try to tag along with some of those. I don't often have the time during the weekend to do something like this. So, I enjoyed the ride a lot. Though I was nervous going out there as you never know how skilled those other riders are. Needless to say they were much more skilled than I am, but everyone really respected each other and we ran in groups of 3 or 4 meeting up back at the cafe we started at. All in all it was a good day.
arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Netherlands

Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:18 am

Sorry for the incredibly slow response. :) Life has been busy and all those other excuses everybody mumble in their beard. ;)

Anyway, just a quick update. Yes, the GS club is pretty active, but I have a family I love to spend time with, so I am not on most of their rides. In fact, most of the mileage on my GS are boring work rides anyway.

However, in October I rode my GS to Germany again in absolutely amazing weather. I was very warm on the bike. And the bike, obviously, didn't miss a beat.

Then a week ago I added a small spoiler to the top of the windshield to see if I could get rid of some more buffeting. It works, but I still hear a lot of wind noise around my helmet. No idea on how to sort that out yet. Well, one of the things might be to get a new helmet. Apparently as I lost 13kg that also takes quite a bit off your face and now my helmet ought to be three sizes smaller...

As an accessory I thought I would like to have an Adventure tank on the GS and I came across a crashed one I could get for a can of coke (the drink, not the powder). So I decided that was a good trade and got it. However, it is way more bent than I expected, so in the end it is just gathering dust.

But you can never keep a good project-man down, so behold, my latest addition to the fleet:

Yes, I am back with the brand we all love. Well, that is to say, I have only agreed upon this over the phone and I still need to pick it up, so no celebratory drinks yet. However, if all goes well, I will be the owner of a 1984 TT600 with a seized engine that needs work. (And not just the engine.) But I have wanted a single cilinder off road bike for a while and the 600 is strong enough that you can do highway rides with it. Though the saddle probably won't make those very comfortable, but at least it can do the speeds as its 45hp allowed it to go 88mph when new. And it would be literally half the weight of the GS at 124kg dry. My first challenge is to get it running and then I'll see what I'll do with it. This is going to be my first time taking an engine apart, so wish me luck. ;)
arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Netherlands

Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:11 pm

I am sure some of you will have had this feeling when coming home...

That: "Oh, no, what have I gotten myself into?" feeling. ;)

I honestly have that now. It is an interesting situation. On the one hand I am excited to finally own a big single, on the other hand I have just made a quick list of the things I know need to happen and what parts are missing... That is one looooong list. But it is also an exciting project with much to be gained and little to be lost as I bought the bike for the price of a set of wheels.
Casper
Almost as Awesome as Murdock
Almost as Awesome as Murdock
Region:: Motor City (MI)
Motorcycles:: 1994 XJ600, 2006 SV650

Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:05 pm

AWESOME!

I love that feeling, but don't enjoy looking at that long of a list.
Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing.
arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Netherlands

Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:47 am

Hahahaha, true Casper. I have been looking over the bike and I think it will probably cheaper to buy an extra parts bike than to purchase the extra parts for this one...
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region:: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles:: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:05 pm

Good to see another Yamaha in your garage! Don't know much about the TT600. What do you think of it?

And, for an exorbitant cost in shipping, if you send me that tank, I'll cut out the damaged section and fix it for ya.
arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Netherlands

Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:45 pm

All I know of the TT600 is that it is a big thumper. It is about half the weight of the GS and is more off road oriented. There aren't even dampers in the rear wheel because apparently that is better when riding off road. :)

This whole thing really started because I thought this could be a great combination of things I have wanted to do for a while. First off, I really wanted to someday get myself a more off road oriented bike that I could use to get some more riding experience. Partly because I would like to do a trip to the Alps and Morocco at some point. What brought this together was that I also wanted to get some more wrenching experience. I have never really taken an engine apart and I saw this as my window of opportunity. I could pick it up for tuppence and it had a seized engine. I've looked around and I have found that there are replacement engines in the market if everything else fails, so it will never be a lost project. Also because I paid less for it than the price of the parts. ;) In the meantime I did order a stack of missing parts for it. Though I am sure I am not done ordering yet...

On the BMW tank, that would be awesome. We just need to find a really cheap way to get it to you and back to me.
arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Netherlands

Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:36 pm

I had hoped to be doing some wrenching today as I scheduled to do no work between Christmas and New Years and my wife and girls would be out. So I purchased myself some nice wrenching mittens as well, just so I can move from wrenching to having a sandwich without too much scrubbing. ;)

Because I wanted to get going on the Yamaha today, I drained the oil last night. A seized engine cannot warm up, so it would take a lot longer to drain the oil and having it drain all night could be the option. I was slightly nervous as there always was a risk of finding iron shavings in the oil... And if that wold be the case, that would be the end of the engine.

But there is no bad news here yet. No strange shiny bits in the oil and no particles in the oil filter. So my guess that it might be a stuck piston is still a possibility.

Today I started disassembly easy as I had virtually no sleep last night. Dodgy stomach. Very annoying.

And then there are the challenges. Can I pick your brains on this?
- My shifter is stuck. I have removed the bolt, but it still doesn't really want to slide off of its axle. Any thoughts? I did use a screwdriver to widen the gap and it does get a little further out, but not completely.
- My exhaust is stuck solid. Very annoying, but I cannot get a single bit of movement out of it. I have removed the bolts etc. so the exhaust is free, it just doesn't want to come out.
- This is going to be my first bigger project where I am taking most of the bike apart. Which might allow me to get into the frame, the loom and all. But how do you keep the pieces apart and make sure you can put them back where they were when you put it back together again?

Thanks!
Slartibartfast
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region:: Helensburgh, Scotland
Motorcycles:: 1999 XJ600N
Great Britain

Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:39 am

I've had a couple of big thumpers over the years, both BMWs - an F650 Funduro and a 650 Dakar. I loved them both!
EIF wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:39 pm
"Yeah, the tank is making the house smell like a pickle factory and the signals have a sense of humor. Plus there was a handful of dogfood in the airbox."
arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Netherlands

Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:09 am

Slartibartfast wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:39 am
I've had a couple of big thumpers over the years, both BMWs - an F650 Funduro and a 650 Dakar. I loved them both!
I've ridden a Dakar. I liked it, but it wasn't for me for the long stretches I often do. Now that I have the 1150GS, that is my long haul machine, so I could get the Yamaha TT600 as a big thumper. The difference in weight is amazing. Now all I need to do is to get it to run. :D

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us