Arne's road somewhat traveled...

Share the ride report whether it be a day ride or a world trip.
TonyKZ1
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region:: Missouri, U.S.A.
Motorcycles:: 1997 Yamaha XJ600s Seca II
United States of America

Tue May 09, 2017 9:02 am

Well, congrats on selling your Triumph and keeping us updated on your bike testing. I've also looked at a older BMW 1150RT, a co-worker was riding it while his BMW was in the shop again, they gave him that bike to ride while they were working on his. Nice big powerful touring bike but also out of my budget.
1997 Yamaha Seca II - mostly stock, Racetech upgraded forks, FZ6R rear shock, Oxford Adventure Style Heated Grips, Barkbusters Blizzard Cold Weather Handguards, a Scottoiler vSystem chain oiler. My Mileage Tracker Page.
arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Region:: Goes, Netherlands
Motorcycles:: Yamaha TT600 / BMW R 1150 GS
Netherlands

Tue May 09, 2017 10:03 am

I have looked at the RT before, but I wasn't all too enthusiastic about it. I felt the weight of it more than I do on the GS's. And I like to take my bikes off the pavement for some soft off roading.
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region:: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles:: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Wed May 10, 2017 11:16 am

I'll just leave this here:

arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Netherlands

Thu May 11, 2017 1:23 am

The problem with that is budget more than anything. I've heard it is a great bike to ride, though a bit less well balanced than the R1200GS's it competes with in its price range. But a great bike nevertheless. I wouldn't mind having one, but again, budget is the major killer in that decision.

I mean, otherwise KTM's new 1290R would be a contender too. ;)

arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Netherlands

Sat May 13, 2017 2:00 pm

So, after much meandering, I bit the bullet this morning. I went out and bought myself another bike. One that I have been thinking about for years, but either couldn't afford or didn't thing would be my best option...

Yes, it turned out to be an 1150GS after all. I know what I said previously, but this one actually felt different. The nice thing is that this is obviously much looser. After all, this has got a lot more mileage under its belt. But I am not really worried about it as there are many others that have much higher mileage than this. Anyway, I made the previous owner an offer and he said yes. So we called and it turned out he owned the bike for the past 12 years, racking up the 90% of the miles on the clock. And he had all the maintenance receipts to prove it. The tires are only 4000km old and the oils (including the shaft) have been changed nicely on schedule. He only used it for commuting and never used it off road or for long holidays etc. Pretty pampered. ;)
So, it is not a showroom floor GS, but the full service history makes me happy and it does have the heated grips and a xenon headlight. Oh, and he threw in the charger as well.

Looking forward to racking up more miles. :)
TonyKZ1
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region:: Missouri, U.S.A.
Motorcycles:: 1997 Yamaha XJ600s Seca II
United States of America

Sat May 13, 2017 6:43 pm

Congrats on the new bike! It looks pretty good from here. Did I miss it reading how many miles/kilometers it has on it currently?
1997 Yamaha Seca II - mostly stock, Racetech upgraded forks, FZ6R rear shock, Oxford Adventure Style Heated Grips, Barkbusters Blizzard Cold Weather Handguards, a Scottoiler vSystem chain oiler. My Mileage Tracker Page.
arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Netherlands

Sun May 14, 2017 1:21 pm

Hahahaha, no you didn't. I didn't mention it. But now that you ask, it has done 150.000km's already. So it is pretty well run in. :) But also very well kept and easily ridden. And I would go for a well used bike with full service history over a bike that's low mileage but has been sitting for ages any day. ;)
arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Netherlands

Tue May 16, 2017 12:21 pm

Today I did a quick round of Antwerp. Obviously I found a gravel road on the way back. :)

When I got home, I found my new top case had arrived, so I decided to mount it.
It is big, but it allows me to easily carry my laptop and some nice shoes etc. when I need to get on the road for work. And it is big enough to leave my helmet and motor pants in my case when I go to a meeting.

And I found I was leaning forward a bit too much to my liking, so I mounted 1" risers for the handlebars. It makes a nice difference.

Now on with the search for crash bars and cylinder covers. ;)
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region:: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles:: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Tue May 16, 2017 2:37 pm

Looking good Arne. Have any monumental trips planned for the new beast?
arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Netherlands

Wed May 17, 2017 4:06 am

No big trips planned yet, but I did go to Belgium yesterday, so the first international ride happened. ;)

I will probably take it to Germany and France again, but have to see about some real motorcycle travel soon. We might plan to do a weekend right after summer. Tent on the back and all. ;)

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us