Arne's road somewhat traveled...

Share the ride report whether it be a day ride or a world trip.
Bigfeet51
Keeps up on the news!
Keeps up on the news!
Region:: LONG ISLAND NY
Motorcycles:: Yamaha Seca II 92
St Lucia

Sat May 21, 2016 6:50 am

I love the way it looks. I really think I'm going to get one next year
arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Region:: Goes, Netherlands
Motorcycles:: Yamaha TT600 / BMW R 1150 GS
Netherlands

Sat May 21, 2016 3:30 pm

You should. They are great bikes.
Bigfeet51
Keeps up on the news!
Keeps up on the news!
Region:: LONG ISLAND NY
Motorcycles:: Yamaha Seca II 92
St Lucia

Sat May 21, 2016 4:38 pm

arnehulstein wrote:You should. They are great bikes.
How many miles does it have?
arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Netherlands

Sat May 21, 2016 11:51 pm

This one has about 54000 miles on it.

You want to make an offer? ;)
arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Netherlands

Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:00 pm

All of a sudden, I remembered that I haven't really updated this thread for months.
The Tiger has taken quite a bit of my attention due to hitting a "foreign object" as my insurance calls it. So, in the past 2 months it has been apart 3 times, but it is back together again and running strong.

And I've realized that I really only use the Tiger. The Transalp only gets outside when there's trouble with the Tiger. So, after finishing it, I've put it up for sale.

It has become a nice bike.

And with some of the accessories it becomes really cool. However, it is time for us to part ways and it'll be picked up by its new owner somewhere next week after I have given it a new chain, sprockets and a more street oriented rear tire.
arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Netherlands

Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:49 am

Ok, so I sold the Transalp that week. It was a nice bike, but I couldn't really get into it anymore.

Two weeks later the new owner sent me a message that it didn't start anymore, which turned out to be the main starter fuse which is not with the other fuses. 6 weeks later I received a message that the whole electrics apparently were messed with and that it needed some engine work. Those messages made me feel bad in a way. I mean, I pulled the bike out of that barn and got it running again. Then again, I never really did a thorough restauration job, nor had I claimed I had. It is a bit sad though. :thumbdown:

Anyway, after all the wrenching on the Tiger to get that going again, I bought a second car in November because I had meetings in southern Germany in December and they were promising -10C temperatures and snow. Not a great ride. Which meant that the bike had been sitting in the garage for a long, long time. Yesterday a good friend of mine told me that he was going to go to work by bike, so as I had a meeting, I decided to do the same and saddled up the old girl.

Obviously we had to take that quintessential picture at a large body of water. ;)

Still undecided what I'll do with the Tiger. I've had it for sale in October, then pulled out. It runs great, rides nicely. But sometimes I have the urge to move to something else. Not sure what though. I like the Yamana Ténéré XT660Z a lot, but they are slightly over budget. And it is much lighter, which is great in many ways, but not for the amount of wind we get here... So, still not sure.
Suggestions?
radare
Site Founder
Site Founder
Region:: Rocky Mountains
Motorcycles:: '92 XJR600, '92 Seca II
United States of America

Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:57 am

arnehulstein wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:49 am
Still undecided what I'll do with the Tiger. I've had it for sale in October, then pulled out. It runs great, rides nicely. But sometimes I have the urge to move to something else. Not sure what though. I like the Yamana Ténéré XT660Z a lot, but they are slightly over budget. And it is much lighter, which is great in many ways, but not for the amount of wind we get here... So, still not sure.
Suggestions?
;)

arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Netherlands

Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:15 am

Hahahahaha :)

But I like to have a bit more wind protection and I like the higher seating position of adventure bikes.
arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Netherlands

Mon May 01, 2017 7:08 am

Ok, so after I pulled out in October, I have relisted the Tiger again and I have two parties that are interested. There's a guy coming over tonight that rode in the past after years of being away from it, has decided he wants to have a bike again. If he doesn't buy the bike, I have another guy who is interested in buying it. We'll see. ;)
arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Netherlands

Tue May 09, 2017 7:52 am

Going once, going twice...

Gone.

The Tiger has left the garage. This is a pic of the new owner riding off into the sunset. Well, it was early morning, but it sounds so nice. ;)

Anyway, the search for a new bike is on in all seriousness now.

So, looking at my wishes, I am looking for that impossible ideal bike. A bike that I can load up with luggage for a week long trip, a bike that I can do long stretches of highway on in comfort (400 miles is no exception for me) and one that I can use offroad and play with.

Right. ;)

As I had some free time last Thursday, I decided to go and check out some bikes at two traders that all turned out to be BMW's. (Sorry.)
First I rode a F650 GS Dakar with a 650cc single. It felt nice, but it was too narrow. I was sitting way too forward and the whole package was really easily influenced by the wind. On the highway I found it pretty tiring to keep 75mpg, which is the normal cruising speed here. So, unfortunately, this is not the bike.

On to the other trader where they had this immaculate yellow R1150GS. The whole thing looked as if it just rolled off the showroom floor and was packed with options. What a machine. Gorgeous. Though you have to like the yellow. ;) I was very excited when I got on this bike and did my first test ride. It was a great ride. A nice machine for comfortable touring and the handling of these things is amazing. Though the 1150 is still a bit heavy and doesn't have the most power in the range. It was also over budget, but good to experience it. The 1150 might be an interesting candidate for my next bike.

When I returned, I had already put my gear back in the car to tell the seller that I liked it, but that it was still lacking in places for what I was looking for. The seller then started on an R1200GS that he had just purchased. I told him it was out of my league financially, but he kept on insisting that I ride it. At some point you run out of excuses, so the tale ended with a set of R1200GS keys in my hands and me putting my gear on again.
This was not a showroom model. It was obviously well used, but sounded healthy. Jack insisted I ride it, so I would know whether BMW was a brand for me, or whether I would have to look elsewhere. And all of a sudden I was on the bike and on the road.

Man, this thing ticked all my boxes. Yes, it is a 2005, it has done serious mileage and it had superficial damage just about everywhere. But what a machine. It ran great. I had a huge smile on my face. The bike was so much better. Lighter, more power, nicely balanced and very stable. Back in 2012 I test rode a GS and I was impressed. However, in 5 years, nothing has changed. I think this still is my ideal bike.

The only problem now, is that it doesn't fit my budget. ;)

Back to square one.

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us