Arne's road somewhat traveled...

Share the ride report whether it be a day ride or a world trip.
arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Region or State: Goes, Netherlands
Motorcycles Owned Currently: BMW R 1150 GS
Netherlands

Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:55 pm

They seem to have very frequent rides. I have only joined them recently, after I bought the GS. They have at least 12 rides per year on the road, at least one camping weekend and then there are some offroad rides as well. I think I'm going to try to tag along with some of those. I don't often have the time during the weekend to do something like this. So, I enjoyed the ride a lot. Though I was nervous going out there as you never know how skilled those other riders are. Needless to say they were much more skilled than I am, but everyone really respected each other and we ran in groups of 3 or 4 meeting up back at the cafe we started at. All in all it was a good day.

arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Netherlands

Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:18 am

Sorry for the incredibly slow response. :) Life has been busy and all those other excuses everybody mumble in their beard. ;)

Anyway, just a quick update. Yes, the GS club is pretty active, but I have a family I love to spend time with, so I am not on most of their rides. In fact, most of the mileage on my GS are boring work rides anyway.

However, in October I rode my GS to Germany again in absolutely amazing weather. I was very warm on the bike. And the bike, obviously, didn't miss a beat.

Then a week ago I added a small spoiler to the top of the windshield to see if I could get rid of some more buffeting. It works, but I still hear a lot of wind noise around my helmet. No idea on how to sort that out yet. Well, one of the things might be to get a new helmet. Apparently as I lost 13kg that also takes quite a bit off your face and now my helmet ought to be three sizes smaller...

As an accessory I thought I would like to have an Adventure tank on the GS and I came across a crashed one I could get for a can of coke (the drink, not the powder). So I decided that was a good trade and got it. However, it is way more bent than I expected, so in the end it is just gathering dust.

But you can never keep a good project-man down, so behold, my latest addition to the fleet:

Yes, I am back with the brand we all love. Well, that is to say, I have only agreed upon this over the phone and I still need to pick it up, so no celebratory drinks yet. However, if all goes well, I will be the owner of a 1984 TT600 with a seized engine that needs work. (And not just the engine.) But I have wanted a single cilinder off road bike for a while and the 600 is strong enough that you can do highway rides with it. Though the saddle probably won't make those very comfortable, but at least it can do the speeds as its 45hp allowed it to go 88mph when new. And it would be literally half the weight of the GS at 124kg dry. My first challenge is to get it running and then I'll see what I'll do with it. This is going to be my first time taking an engine apart, so wish me luck. ;)

arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Netherlands

Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:11 pm

I am sure some of you will have had this feeling when coming home...

That: "Oh, no, what have I gotten myself into?" feeling. ;)

I honestly have that now. It is an interesting situation. On the one hand I am excited to finally own a big single, on the other hand I have just made a quick list of the things I know need to happen and what parts are missing... That is one looooong list. But it is also an exciting project with much to be gained and little to be lost as I bought the bike for the price of a set of wheels.

Casper
Almost as Awesome as Murdock
Almost as Awesome as Murdock
Region or State: Motor City (MI)
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1994 XJ600, 2006 SV650

Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:05 pm

AWESOME!

I love that feeling, but don't enjoy looking at that long of a list.
Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing.

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us