Casper plays on Mount Taylor and Cabezon

Share the ride report whether it be a day ride or a world trip.
Casper
Almost as Awesome as Murdock
Region or State: Motor City (MI)
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1994 XJ600, 2006 SV650

Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:50 pm

Well, I wanted to play around a bit more before the weather struck the middle of nowhere play grounds. So, before Balloon Fiesta hit (tomorrow), I set up a ride (today) that would take me through a mountain that I have yet to play on despite it's proximity and prominence.

I give to you, the path from old US 66, over Mount Taylor, across a long mesa, down a canyon and home.
https://goo.gl/maps/y6XwX

The day started off well, no clouds in sight and a warm burrito in my pocket as I head to the gas station where I was going to start my ride.

From there I headed south, familiarizing myself (been on it twice now) 314 south into Los Lunas and then west along NM 6.

NM 6 takes you to this little bridge over a pair of railroad tracks. What I like most about this bridge is that the guardrails really do whatever they please.

Some scenery from the bridge:

Heading over this bridge, you have some poorly maintained paved roads that turn to dirt for a quarter mile that turn back into even poorer, poorly maintained roads known as the Old US 66. Follow this long enough and you can see Mount Taylor getting closer. (Center two peaks.) We were about to head over these.

Stopped in Grants to refuel and grab a quick snack as I knew we would be out all day. (We got back in town at 7:30.)

Headed up into the mountains on a relatively simple (not technical at all) curvy road with a 55 speed limit that turns into gravel at a seemingly random point. This loose gravel road took us to our forest road that we wanted to play on to bring us to here...

and because I couldn't get enough of this view.

A nice picture of my dirty bike. (Why in the world would someone use street tires for this? Well, they work fairly well and I am about to throw these ones away.)

I stopped at seemingly random times throughout the journey and don't have many words for most of the pictures following.

This isn't the road we were looking for, but we went down it anyways.

At this point, the other guy ran out of gas, 3 miles from the gas station. (Sigh.) I drove down there, got some gas and we were on our way, but not before I noticed some flowers stuck in my shift lever.

Wonderful day, just over 250 miles from 9 AM to 7:30 PM with 12:00 PM to 6:30 PM on the dirt.

More Mount Taylor and Cabezon pictures in not too long. I really enjoyed that place and want to explore some more.
Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing.

gliderpilot
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: SCOTLAND!
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '95 xj600s

Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:38 am

Nice pics, casp. Not a cloud in sight. Quiet, peaceful roads. Lots of blue sky... :)
(I've got to find some places like that over here, restore my soul. Already I'm thinking of way up the far northwest of Scotland: it's deserted, almost, up there.)
What did you mean about the guard rails doing whatever they please? Lost me there... :huh:

Casper

Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:00 pm

gliderpilot wrote:What did you mean about the guard rails doing whatever they please? Lost me there... :huh:
If you look closely at the pictures just after I made the comment, you can see how they bow in and out and go up and down.
Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing.

gliderpilot
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: SCOTLAND!
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '95 xj600s

Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:05 am

Had to zoom in and see what you meant. I like how things man-made get shaped by natural process, how nature and the elements sculpt and paint new forms and colours. Kinda saying to mankind 'You can stop me, but only for a little while...'
More pics please. :)

xjman
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Region or State: Thame nr Oxford UK
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1990 XJ600F

Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:07 am

lovely - if you get a bad puncture i suppose you both go home on one bike and come out later with a car and tyre levers?
Bender: I support and oppose many things, but not strongly enough to pick up a pen.

arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Region or State: Goes, Netherlands
Motorcycles Owned Currently: BMW R 1150 GS
Netherlands

Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:23 pm

What a beautiful ride again Casper!

MichaelX
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: Romania
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1997 YAMAHA XJ 600 N
Romania

Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:30 am

:thumbsup:
I was on a ride with my brothers Suzuki Freewind offroad and i get it why you ride dirt roads hehe :)Its awesome! That feeling you can go anywhere, to get lost and then try to find the way back home, its addictive. Keep it up :clap: ;)
1997 XJ600N Diversion
-(rusted inside)Marving Master 4 in 2 exhaust system
-DID X-Ring Chain 520 VX-Gold 110 Link
-Oxford Adventure Style Heated Grips

Casper

Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:19 am

These pictures fit best in this thread, so I am resurrecting this dead thread.

I headed out towards Grants (Mount Taylor) and headed south instead. This brought me to El Malpais, I don't have too many photos as we were a little pressed for time, but I will get some more eventually.

Little guy and my route.

I had to take a photo in case I got lost...
(I need a new jacket, this one no longer washes out.)

A little rain brought us a little greenery in the plains. (A view from one of a bridge I cross often to get to old Rt 66.)

Santa Maria Mission, a small church on a hill that you can see from I 40 on your way to Grants/Gallup.

Mine and a friend's bike after a short mile in dirt.

An amazing view from on top of the Sandstone Bluff Overlook, unfortunately I did not get a shot of the bluffs themselves.

Riding through a patch of icing... the white powdered dirt stuck to the rear wheel.

After ride wash (just to get that powder off) before cleaning my new chain for the first time (after the 400 mile road).

ChrisMcLaughlin
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region or State: San Diego
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1995 Yamaha XJ 600 / 1993 Yamaha FZR 600

Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:04 am

Looks nice! how fun, Thanks for the share!

Seca Guy
Region or State: Reseda California
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1996 xj600 Seca II

Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:21 am

Great Pictures Casper. I am thinking of picking another set of rims and throwing on some dual sports so I can ride the back trails
4 Wheels drive your body, 2 Wheels drive your soul

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us

Call to Action:

Forum Images

Ride Relay

Cool Projects:

Predrag's Resto