New Rider Needs Advice

Talk about that last great ride or perhaps, the next one. Ride reports here.
Yamajira
New to XJR
New to XJR

Hey all. I just got a 96 SECA 2 with 12,000 miles and love it. Its my first working bike. Tooled around my neighborhood on a ratchet ninja 500 for a while. I already feel extremely comfortable up to about 50 mph. I can lean good, turn good, I feel I have really developed good control very quickly. I lose my confidence on the highway. Getting over 55, I don't know if it's me or the bike (soft stock suspension was common in reviews) but I feel very squirrelly. It's also worth noting that I live in Michigan and the highway is rather rough. Should I fight the feedback in the handlebars, or just loosen up and let the front wheel work through road anomalies? How hard can I brake without locking up and what is proper high speed braking technique? Do I pull the clutch when slowing down? How hard can this bike turn? I feel stupid dropping to 60 or so to take the average highway curve. What's the best riding position, tuck or relaxed? I'm 5'11" and my shoulders are on top of my knuckles at full tuck on this bike. The ninja 500 was more of a reach which was good for me. Advice deeply appreciated and likely life saving. Thanks.
My username explained: Yama as in Yamaha (I'm a Yamaha fan) + Jira as in Gojira, what the Japanese called Godzilla before America dubbed him as such. (I am a massive Godzilla fan) Conveniently, Yamaha and Godzilla are both Japanese.

This topic has 9 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login