How bad an idea is an iron butt right now...

Talk about that last great ride or perhaps, the next one. Ride reports here.
Nelsonmd
FAQ Moderator
FAQ Moderator

So I am planning on road tripping it from Boston down to Williamsburg VA this weekend witha couple friends to visit some other friends, and I would like to come back a day earlier than they are, so I have been thinking that it would be fun to ride the ole XJ down. It's a long ride, about 600 miles and 9-10 hours. The longest I have done on the bike in a day was about 500 miles and it wasn't too bad. My bike is more comfortable now, so that would be an improvement.

Anyway, my real question is the reliability of the bike. As you may have seen, I took my engine apart over the winter, and I am still working out the last couple little bugaboo's left over. Assuming I can get the valve cover gasket to seal up properly, and get the carbs a bit better dialed in, how much concern should I have that something would break/go wrong on the trip that would cause me significant trouble? In previous years I have gone pretty much the entire season with pretty smooth sailing other than me deciding to tinker with crap on it. I have less than 1 season on my chain, sprockets, and tires, all bearings except the swingarm have been replaced in the last 2 years.

Anyway, let me know your thoughts on the foolhardiness of this plan.

PS, I'll prbably pick up these saddlebags for the trip (yay for prime 2-day shipping!): Nelson-Rigg SPRT-40 Spirit Black Touring Saddle Bag
NelsonMD's 92 XJ600 Project Thread

NelsonMD's 4Runner Build Thread (Rusted out)
2002 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 (gone)
2004 Vespa ET4 (sold)

This topic has 2 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login