Oklahoma Dunes (you got sand where?)

Talk about that last great ride or perhaps, the next one. Ride reports here.
MOzarkRider
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

So a few weeks ago, me and one of my friends from Rolla were talking about riding a Hare Scramble on an upcoming weekend. He says he cant because he is going to to Oklahoma to ride a the Little Sahara State Park (Little Sahara Dunes (LS)). I say that it would be a great experience for my riding skills to ride in the sand. He says you should come we have an extra spot on the trailer.

Here we go :drapheus:

Step 1 Prep the bike: Paddle Tire for the sand + Suspension adjustments
Done

Next was trip planning which there wasn't much of....
I was told I needed to be in Rolla on Friday Morning around 8am. I gathered all of my stuff up and set it in the living room. I loaded the bike on the trailer and left the trailer in the carport ready to hook up and go...
I work second shift so I go to work at 3:30p and get home around 1am or sometimes later, like tonight.
While I was at work I get a phone call about 6:00p from Jim (the one driving the trailer) he asks if he can pick up my bike at my house around 2am because the trailer is leaving tonight. The plan was that the car I was leaving on was heading out on Friday still. We also discuss my spare bike, the 2000 ktm 200 exc. and decide to take it with us as a spare for someone to ride in the event that their bike blows up.

OK... Plans are set. NOT! I get a call at 9pm saying everyone is leaving tonight to do a midnight haul and we will be at your house at 2:00am. :???:

Me, I got up at 8am to get the tire changed from dirt knobby to paddle tire, and worked all day and now gonna drive all night and ride all the next day at the dunes... :nervous: OK.. Bring it on :thumbsup:

Western Oklahoma is like driving to another world, you go from cornfields and flat lands to Mesas and red-dust in like 20 miles, Weirdest drive EVER!! and the roads are horrible! I didn't get any sleep in the car...

We arrive at our destination and set up camp.

It is incredibly dusty! everything I own at the camp was covered in 1/8" of dust in under an hour.. Even inside my tent!!

Ok first ride on the dunes. I hit the sand and first thing that happens is a face-full of sand... hahaha... not because I wrecked but the guy in front of me roosted me with sand. Pretty much had my mouth full of sand the whole weekend. Except for sunday morning, I got up early and had a $2.00 HOT!! shower and brushed my teeth, until that point I had not showered since Thurs. Morning. You have no idea how good a shower feels after that amount of time VERY REFRESHING... And then back to mouth-full of sand shortly after....

The dunes were super fun!! The trails were pretty tough, and 4 strokes were very much prefered to my 2 stroke. The more power the better in the sand. I rode someone's 450 for a little bit and it was so much easier to get around. I still had a blast!!

My Spare Bike did come in handy as one of the guys brought this HodgePodge.. 1970s MX bike that lasted about 3 hours in the sand. Then he rode my 200 EXC the rest of the weekend. He was quite happy to have suspension after riding the old 70s bike. It had nothing for dampening lol... He said the tire hit his seat on almost every occasion.

Here is a video summary shot from Joe's GoPro. I am the one with the orange pants and Black MX jersey in the video. My old bike is in the video too..
I have a pretty decent jump at 5:56 Also the very end is really cool...
[youtube]jnq2ypxsW20[/youtube]

And here are a couple more pics shot from camp:

The little town of Waynoka has little to offer for food. We ate at the Mexican Restaurant twice.. the second time I ordered a Cheeseburger, it was 10x better than the mexican I ordered the night before :quiet:
"A life you don't live is still lost" Goo Goo Dolls
"Its not about the years of your life its about the life in your years" Abraham Lincon
92' Yamaha Seca II
14' KTM 200XC-W
Brian

This topic has 5 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login