MOzark's Racing Logs

Share the ride report whether it be a day ride or a world trip.
MOzarkRider
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Region or State: Tucked in the Corner
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 92 Yamaha SecaII // 14KTM 200XCW

Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:06 pm

So as most of you know I have started doing some off-road racing as a hobby. Local Hare scrambles are plentyful in these parts and I am up for the challenge and some friendly competition.
The way it works is, the competition is divided into classes based on skill and age. Its all done by individual, which means you pick your own class. The Classes follow the alphabet A, B, C, and D and the each letter has sub-divided classes based on skill and age. A+ or AA being the Pro class and A being the next one down and then A+45 is the over 45 age division in the A skill set range.

Me, I am not an A rider, I would probably fall into the D+ range. There is no D+ class so that moves me to the C class. The competition in this class is pretty stiff since most are trying to prepare for the B class, which is a money class.

The race format starts in heats divided by class. The series I am doing does engine-off starts, but you are seated on the bike. You start with your entire class on the line unless there are enough riders to warrant a staggered start (safety concerns mostly). We all take off and the race is on. The race is through woods, creeks, grass-track, and sometimes a special technical section. The race is against yourself mostly, and then against the clock. The goal is to complete as many laps as you can in the allotted time, usually 1-2 hours. The winner is the first to see the checkered having complete the most laps.

2 weeks ago was my first race, with the results posted in my Missouri Ozarks Revealed topic. I ended up not finishing due to a bad crash caused by faulty equipment. grumble grumble :piece:
Anyway the self-diagnosis was bruised tailbone/Ego... The ego healed quickly but the tailbone took two weeks. I thought it was going to take longer but I feel great and rode yesterday on my new bike. :Mozarkrider:

Here's the scoop the Missouri Hare Scramble Series (MHSC) starts this weekend right down the road from my house.
This will be the official start of MOzark Racing. Off-Road, head-to head, aboard my new KTM 200 XC-W. :drapheus:

So follow me right here for some racing!!! LETS GO RACING :moped:
"A life you don't live is still lost" Goo Goo Dolls
"Its not about the years of your life its about the life in your years" Abraham Lincon
92' Yamaha Seca II
14' KTM 200XC-W
Brian

1Oldman
XJ600 Master!
XJ600 Master!
Region or State: West Coast
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1993 Yamaha Seca II

Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:55 pm

KTM has a great rep. Good luck in your racing adventures.
Better to be over the hill than under it.

arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Region or State: Goes, Netherlands
Motorcycles Owned Currently: BMW R 1150 GS
Netherlands

Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:07 am

Cool. A real race thread. :) Enjoy it!

Oh, and did anyone already mention that you need to post pics and videos of you racing? ;)

mikee112
User Administrator
User Administrator
Region or State: UK
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '99 Yamaha XJ 600n
Great Britain

Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:56 pm

Good luck Mo
as Arne said... looking forward to plenty of pics/ vids :)

MOzarkRider
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:09 pm

Thanks for the support guys!! I really appreciate it.
As for the pictures, my wife and possibly my friend Jon will be my main photographers. Jon is pretty good and Sarah isn't bad either. As for video, I am working on saving up for a GoPro but they are kinda pricey and not completely necessary for racing and other things like practice. But they are pretty awesome :brow:

For practicing I would like a GPS with tracking Capabilities. I have many trails through the national forest by my house and would love to map them out so I don't get lost in the woods lol...
"Its not about the years of your life its about the life in your years" Abraham Lincon
92' Yamaha Seca II
14' KTM 200XC-W
Brian

mikee112
User Administrator
User Administrator
Region or State: UK
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '99 Yamaha XJ 600n
Great Britain

Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:28 pm

MOzarkRider wrote:

For practicing I would like a GPS with tracking Capabilities. I have many trails through the national forest by my house and would love to map them out so I don't get lost in the woods lol...
there are loads of phone apps for tracking :)

arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Netherlands

Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:32 pm

Get an iPhone and a Hitcase. It works. ;)

xjman
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Region or State: Thame nr Oxford UK
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1990 XJ600F

Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:50 pm

a bet you need a good back for that game :)
Bender: I support and oppose many things, but not strongly enough to pick up a pen.

MOzarkRider
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:33 pm

The problem with using a Cell phone, is that there is ZERO signal in the national forest areas, let alone enough signal to run an internet backed App. So unfortunately i will be forced to use a GPS. I was looking at the Garmin Oregon. Its around the $200 price point and looks like it has all the features I could possibly ever need.

As for the back, I ran into some back trouble a couple years ago after having my very first off, on the road. It was my first time on a twisty back road and I was going a little too fast :oops: I ended up with a separated shoulder ligament (not completely separated thank goodness). That healed up pretty timely and well too, it was a minor injury considering the off. A few months later I started having numbness in my toes and foot on my left side. I went to a Chiropractor and my back was shaped like a damn snake. He got me back in alignment and now I go once every couple of months for "wellness" checkups for my back. Basically makes sure everything is where it is supposed to be. The doc says I'm good and have a normally strong back.

Really though it is more in the legs, you move around a lot and are up, down, putting pressure on this peg, pressure on that leg, extending this and that, and with a heavy boot on. It's a workout. I have been doing that too, working out that is, well trying :quiet: I haven't done anything in 3 weeks... I'm doing horrible, but I have lost 5 lbs :thumbsup:
92' Yamaha Seca II
14' KTM 200XC-W
Brian

arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Netherlands

Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:22 am

MOzarkRider wrote:The problem with using a Cell phone, is that there is ZERO signal in the national forest areas, let alone enough signal to run an internet backed App. So unfortunately i will be forced to use a GPS. I was looking at the Garmin Oregon. Its around the $200 price point and looks like it has all the features I could possibly ever need.
Not really. This is a pretty common misconception. You can often download maps to your phone to use them without signal coverage and the GPS chips are the same kind as the ones you find in Garmin's. I am pretty sure there are US Military surveillance maps you can actually use. Check the ADVRiders forum. There are tonnes of discussions on this.

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us