MOzark's Racing Logs

Share the ride report whether it be a day ride or a world trip.
MOzarkRider
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Region:: Tucked in the Corner
Motorcycles:: 92 Yamaha SecaII // 14KTM 200XCW

Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:21 pm

Alright this may be disappointing, but I don't have much of a report for this race. The picture guy was out sick... and my camera got 3 min of use-able footage before it hit a tree. I need to re-position it to my chin bar. I hit it twice on a tree.
It is crazy how that extra four inches hits things where I never hit my helmet on anything without it.

I'll do a quick write-up though as it was an exciting race. I will post my 3 min. of video. I'll probably go-ahead and do a commentary too, but not promising anything.

I went into this race 4th in the overall points, and I really wanted a podium finish, so today I wanted to kick on the afterburners and ride like I had no fear of dismemberment....

I had a decent start pulling top 5 off the line. Going into the woods I get caught behind a decent rider who I had no problem keeping pace with. I'm not sure if I would have been in front of him if I would have fared better than I did behind. The trail today was just over 7 mi. and it was all woods. That and there were lots of spots where the trees were really close together.
I got hung up once in the first lap near the end of the lap but really turned it on after that. I was getting into a serious rhythm and on my 4th lap managed to pull my fastest lap. I held the num. 8 position through my first 3 laps. I was catching up to the place in front of me. Now just 15sec. ahead I could see him as I entered the woods on my last lap! Then Mayhem!

I caught up to some lapped traffic. The first I got around easy then the second was on an off-camber hill and I pulled a stupid. Never pass to the low side on an off-camber. I ended up slowed down and lost a few seconds. I try for the pass again on the same time off the trail but there is no-where to go! The trees are too tight and I clip a bar on a tree. I wasn't going fast, but it knocked me over the trail and to the other side. Still trying to make the pass, I clip another tree and then I go into a brush pile.

I wasn't going fast so nothing hurt except the bike is completely caught in the brush pile. It takes me almost a minute to get my bike out. By this time the next place is long gone. Worse off D-Class riders pass me and I end up stuck behind a string of 4 people slowing me up. They won't let me pass and I can't pass them. Eventually i get completely thrown off my mojo from slowing down behind these other riders that I just fall behind and they dissapear.

I finish 8th. I was very disappointed in my results and I fell to 5th in the overall.

I felt like I was at a burning pace but when I look at my lap times I am still 2+ minutes per lap behind the top 3-4 riders. I am just not fast enough this year. I will have to practice more and work harder to get to the top of the podium.

Next race is this weekend. It is a long drive and I have friends coming down Saturday so I am undecided on whether I am going or not. Also my front tire is almost to the point of not being useful, all the knobs on the edges are gone (ripped off) and there is substantial wear. There are only 3 races left in the season, so I am wanting to stick it out and complete my goal of every race.
I will post my short video sometime this week. Stay tuned
"A life you don't live is still lost" Goo Goo Dolls
"Its not about the years of your life its about the life in your years" Abraham Lincon
92' Yamaha Seca II
14' KTM 200XC-W
Brian
arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Region:: Goes, Netherlands
Motorcycles:: Yamaha TT600 / BMW R 1150 GS
Netherlands

Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:28 pm

Hey, don't beat yourself up over that. You still ran a great race, held a great position and did wel in general. So you dropped a spot instead of gained one. We all still love you on here anyway. ;)

To be honest, if I look at myself, every time I would like to do something like that in a way that I want to improve myself, I often fail. It usually works best for me to let go of all the stress and all the stuff around it and just say "we'll see where this will end up" and all of a sudden I am relaxed and everything just works out. So, relax. You can do better. This race has shown you that you can. ;)

Hope to hear more soon!
mikee112
User Administrator
User Administrator
Region:: UK
Motorcycles:: '99 Yamaha XJ 600n
Great Britain

Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:33 pm

Hey Mo, Arne is right, don't give yourself such a hard time when things don't go to plan, you're still in a good solid position and this is your rookie year, treat it like a learning experience, I get that you are very competitive and want to do well, but don't forget that you entered this series to have fun :)...... It's very easy to "over ride", stay relaxed and the results WILL come... BRAAAAAAP !!
Oh by the way Go Pro chest mounts on Ebay for $5.50 ( at time of posting, get bidding )...... ya know ya wanna..lol
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable-Ches ... 418eff90d6
MOzarkRider
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:19 pm

Thanks guys, i am very competitive...
but i wasn't really disappointed in my overall performance in the race, i feel like i am getting faster, definitely faster than the start of the year...
most of my dissapointment came from that last lap where i got hung up, but i still had fun on the day so that's all that matters...
"Its not about the years of your life its about the life in your years" Abraham Lincon
92' Yamaha Seca II
14' KTM 200XC-W
Brian
MOzarkRider
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:48 pm

Here is the video as promised...
The commentary is definitely improving and I am trying out new things with the editing.

6WAiIjJfIdI

The next round was today... I didn't go. I had friends come in yesterday and I hung out with them until midnight and I would have had to get up at 6am at the latest just to make the race, not including practice. It was a 2 hour drive to the race one way. I wanted to go, but I am comfortable with my decision not to go.

Next race is Feb 15th in Richland North, Centruy Farms aka "The Airstrip"
92' Yamaha Seca II
14' KTM 200XC-W
Brian
mikee112
User Administrator
User Administrator
Great Britain

Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:24 pm

Another great video, and again excellent commentary, you're a natural..lol
It is very difficult to see the trail on the Go Pro footage when you are riding into the sun ( kinda scary :o )
I hope it was slightly better in reality, although I can see how you would easily miss that passing lane ;)
BTW, did I mention..... you really need the chest mount..lol
MOzarkRider
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:14 pm

I watched a few recently with the chest mount and they just don't turn out well with a dirt bike, its too rough and the video is shakey here is an example.
tH2onyS-atY
92' Yamaha Seca II
14' KTM 200XC-W
Brian
arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Region:: Goes, Netherlands
Motorcycles:: Yamaha TT600 / BMW R 1150 GS
Netherlands

Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:22 am

So, why don't you mount the Go Pro to the bike itself then?
MOzarkRider
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:21 am

The trails are usually pretty rough terrain with rocks and trees and roots and ruts, if you mount the camera to the bike the camera will move where the bike moves which is everywhere. Its not like the street where things are smooth and fluid.

Its more jarring and quick choppy movements, completely different riding style. You end up leaning your body and placing your weight toward the outside peg of a turn or corner and leaning the bike, not your body. On the street you lean with the turn, weight the inside peg, and lean the bike and your body.

The helmet mount is the best because your legs and body soak up the rough terrain like shock absorbers. Also a still head allows you to look ahead and prepare for what's next.

The chest camera mount is not bad as it protects the camera, however the veiw is blocked by the bars and the body is still soaking up bumps all the way to the shoulders. Ideally you would stand the whole time and let your legs take all the bumps and roughness in the trail, in that case the chest mount would be good.

Riders all have different styles some stay lower to the seat, some stand more. I usually stay lower but use my legs to absorb the trail. One thing always remains still no matter what the terrain, and that is the head. 95% of the offroad videos are shot from the helmet. The other 5% from the chest mount.
92' Yamaha Seca II
14' KTM 200XC-W
Brian
mikee112
User Administrator
User Administrator
Great Britain

Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:37 pm

I still like the chest mount view...... but if you're not into it, how about this mount, this is a photo of my helmet with the Go Pro mounted to the chin piece, dunno if it would work on a motocross helmet.......... even though it's stuck there right in front of your face you don't really notice it after a while ;)

Here is a "view comparison" video

a5xEPsksQXI

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us