MOzark's Racing Logs

Share the ride report whether it be a day ride or a world trip.
MOzarkRider
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Region:: Tucked in the Corner
Motorcycles:: 92 Yamaha SecaII // 14KTM 200XCW

Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:15 pm

Yes. I have had two races with complete footage. Just haven't had time to compile the video :thumbdown:
There may not be much over the next couple months. I have a lot going on and its going to get hot.
"A life you don't live is still lost" Goo Goo Dolls
"Its not about the years of your life its about the life in your years" Abraham Lincon
92' Yamaha Seca II
14' KTM 200XC-W
Brian
arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Region:: Goes, Netherlands
Motorcycles:: Yamaha TT600 / BMW R 1150 GS
Netherlands

Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:25 pm

MOzarkRider wrote:Yes. I have had two races with complete footage. Just haven't had time to compile the video :thumbdown:
There may not be much over the next couple months. I have a lot going on and its going to get hot.
So how did you do in them? If you can't do the vids, at least tell us the score. ;)
MOzarkRider
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:32 pm

One of them was the final race in the HBGP series. I reported on that one, just didn't have a video.

All the riders that I had asked about doing the big 9hr hare scramble backed out and couldn't do the event. So that one ended up being a bunch of hype with no report.

I raced RD 1 of the Midwest Offroad Racing Events (MORE) series. These races are scattered throughout the northern ozarks, mostly centered around the Lake of the Ozarks. So most of them are at least a 2 hour drive for me. Round 1, however, was in Mansfield which is about a 1/2 hour drive and it is my favorite race location. This is the same location as the Ozark 100 miler, although the course was not near as tough.

The course for round 1 was fairly easy. I started absolutely perfect. Pulled 1st place off the line and just behind 2nd by the first turn. GREAT START! Bumped it up to 4th for a stretch before turn two. I pulled the clutch locked the brakes to prepare for turn two. Dumped the clutch and gave her hell, WELL... 4th gear was just a little too tall for that maneuver. I killed it! Stalled it in the second turn! I ended up dropping back to 14th or 13th. I forgot to turn on the camera so I missed all this action.
#235 in this series

I raced fairly clean with a few mistakes, but was just not quick that day. I ended up getting in a battle with the guy in 10th place. For 3 laps we battled back and forth on each other's rear tire whenever we made a pass, one would fall behind then catch up. I lost him on the last lap and had 10th in the bag. Then I made an oops! I spun out going up a hill in the worst possible spot. He and one other person in my class passed me. Leaving me in 12th place out of 21 riders. Not a good start to the Summer series. But it was the MOST FUN I have ever had in a day of racing. So much drama and excitement! It was a blast!

The next race has been postponed twice due to rain and flooding at the location. These races are 2hr plus drives so I am not sure how many I will make it to, if any. But if I do I will report how I did.
"Its not about the years of your life its about the life in your years" Abraham Lincon
92' Yamaha Seca II
14' KTM 200XC-W
Brian
MrJoel
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region:: Louisville, ky
Motorcycles:: 1994 xj600

Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:47 pm

Nice to read the reports at least! :)
My wife's uncle, aunt, and all three cousins (2 girls and a boy) have raced hare scrambles forever. Mostly Michigan, Indiana, Ohio and they all usually make it down to Loretta Lynn's to kick off the spring. I ended up financing his CR250 frame/500 by buying my first dirt bike from him. I strongly recommend not buying a race prepped CR500 for your first dirt bike...well, I don't know, it sure does make you learn throttle control fast! I've done some awesome trail rides with them but haven't ridden dirt in 10 years now. I used to flip dirt bikes and quads but my last one I loved (except for the constant plug fouling) the YZ426...little heavy but so am I so we worked good together. Now I want to find a track and a bike!
arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Netherlands

Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:21 pm

MOzarkRider wrote: Not a good start to the Summer series. But it was the MOST FUN I have ever had in a day of racing. So much drama and excitement! It was a blast!
Hey, and that's what it's all about. ;)
MOzarkRider
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:31 pm

Time to fire this ole thread back up!

Round 1 of the Hillbilly GP harescramble series started today! And the results are in the books.

I will give a full report when the pictures are posted. I did forget to press record on my GoPro so no footage, it will be an old fasion text report, hopefully sprinkled with pictures.
92' Yamaha Seca II
14' KTM 200XC-W
Brian
arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Netherlands

Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:57 am

Bring it on! ;) :thumbsup:
MOzarkRider
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:58 pm

With life happening and all I have much less time to write, process videos and all that other fun stuff. But I will do short write-ups on the races, since it is a decent way to reflect on mistakes and work toward not making those mistakes again.

IT'S TIME TO RACE!!!!!

Round 1 of the HBGP harescramble series kicked off 11/7/15 at Lu's Place. I have raced here before and it is a nice property. the trail is setup almost like a clover leaf, it loops out in multiple directions from a single dry creek bed. Since it is the first race of the year there are always a LOT of people. My class had 23 people in it for this race. I kept the same class as last year. I will be racing in the C class. Last year I finished 6th overall and had a 5th place best finish. I am hoping to improve upon those results this year.

I have not raced or rode since the last round of last years HBGP season. I moved jobs and bought a house and have not had time to ride, or riding partners. Its not good to ride in the woods alone. I started jogging every other day and mixing in a few exercises. Although, with a spout of rain this week I haven't jogged since last Friday. Ideally I am using this HBGP season as preparation for a full summer season in the spring. The races are longer, the temps are higher and the competition is hot. I need to get in shape badly if I want to do the summer series.

The race started about 30 minutes late due to delays in signups.

We're off!

I had an EXCELLENT start. I didn't see any other riders until the first turn. I thought I may have got the holeshot, and was STOKED! Coming through the first turn my worries were realized. I had not got the gate pick that I wanted (first come first serve) and the guys on the outside (where I wanted to be) slingshotted around me. I ended up in 3rd place out of the first turn.

Coming down the first straight!

Another rider passed me in the first stretch. I need to get on the throttle harder in the wide open field sections. Adrenaline gets the best of me in the first 5 minutes of the race and I make poor decisions, so I usually just try not to mess up.

At the end of the grass track I am in 5th place which is pretty good considering the amount of people on the starting line. It is clear that the leaders of the class are probably sand-bagging and racing a class too low because two riders have already gapped the rest of the pack in the first 1/4 mile of the race. Looking at the lap times, they rode an average of 2 min faster per lap than anyone else.

Right after the grass track you are dropped into the most technical portion of the track "XR Creek" this is the center of the clover leaf. This year the course makers split it into 3 sections with short field spurts in between. I dropped one more position in this section but did not fall or get slowed up which is half the battle on the first lap.

At the end of the first lap I have not made any mistakes but have dropped 3 more positions. Crossing the finish line for lap 1 I am in 9th. I noticed a couple things in the first lap. First is that I am not riding at "race pace" I seem to be very cautious and overall slow. Second is that my hands HURT! Like they REALLY HURT! So bad that I have lost precision control of functions such as clutch, throttle, and front braking. These are critical functions!

This ends up costing me dearly in XR creek, I end up falling over in XR creek and losing a lot of positions (it seemed like everyone passed me). I wasn't down that long and didn't expel too much energy but there were a lot of bikes that rode past.
Later in the lap I lost control of the bike again and clipped a tree. At this point I am very angry with my hands for letting me down. They really hurt and are hard to move. So far the rest of my fitness is doing fine.

I trudge on with half working control input devices (my hands) and reach the end of the second lap. Disappointment and slight frustration come over me when I see a 20th place come across the scoreboard.

The third lap is mostly uneventful with no progress negetive or positive in my standings. But here is an awesome creek pic.

My hands finally start loosening up, although they are still painful, and I get some function back. At the same time I start to get into a groove and back up to race pace. Thinking it might be my last lap I put on a charge at mile marker 4 of 6.

I shave 2 minutes of my previous lap time and charge to 17th place. Three places in one lap is a pretty good charge. And as it turns out I get one more lap!

So far, other than my hands, I feel great and still have some charge left in me. So I continue the charge into the last lap. I am CHARGING! and fast. I hit 55mph down the long stretch past the start line and get right on the back tire of the next rider I need to pass.

We ride neck and neck down through XR creek. At the end of XR creek there is a small "alternative path" that might give me just enough to pass.

I hit the divert and.... Slide out! I got a little overzealous and got on the throttle too hard in loose gravel. I lose the passing opportunity and a position... :thumbdown:
I do fight back and make up the position I lost, to end the race in 17th.

It was a horrible showing for me, A returning top 5 competitor, for the first race. After looking at the results, I am not alone in this regard. The 4th place overall finisher from last year, finished last in the race. I suspect mechanical problems but it makes me feel a little better. I had a blast though and that's the most important part. Now I just need to figure out how to get my hands in shape.

The next race is the BIG race of the year, if you kept up with my races last year you will remember the Ozark 100 miler. It is a grueling 25 mile loop that you must complete twice to equal 50 miles. I was unable to complete all 50 miles last year, so that is my goal this year. I am a little unsure if I will be able to attend the race but am going to try my best to make it happen. The race is scheduled for Saturday, November 29, 2015.

Hope you enjoyed the report.
92' Yamaha Seca II
14' KTM 200XC-W
Brian
arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Netherlands

Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:22 am

Sure did enjoy that. :)

Too bad about your hands. I bet your finish time would have been much better if your hands would have played along. That is the trouble with not riding for a year. They get out of shape. But good to see that you got back into the race groove again. I bet that leaves you a lot more time in the 100 miler to overtake people as soon as you get into the groove.
It will get better. Good to hear that you've been working on your overall fitness btw. That is a great way of making sure the 100 mile will just be a blast.

Have fun on the next race! :thumbsup:
mikee112
User Administrator
User Administrator
Region:: UK
Motorcycles:: '99 Yamaha XJ 600n
Great Britain

Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:39 pm

You're bound to be a little rusty after not riding for so long Mo, your hands haven't had a workout like that for a long time..... last time I rode a motocross bike, it only took 10 minutes for my forearms to pump up and lose almost all the strength in my hands ( think I was holding on too tight..lol )
you'll do better next race for sure :) , you were already starting to get your rhythm back, once your hands loosened up ;)

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us