MOzark's Racing Logs

Share the ride report whether it be a day ride or a world trip.
MOzarkRider
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Region:: Tucked in the Corner
Motorcycles:: 92 Yamaha SecaII // 14KTM 200XCW

Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:43 pm

mikee112 wrote:I still like the chest mount view...... but if you're not into it, how about this mount, this is a photo of my helmet with the Go Pro mounted to the chin piece, dunno if it would work on a motocross helmet.......... even though it's stuck there right in front of your face you don't really notice it after a while ;)

Here is a "view comparison" video
Mike, this is the type of mount I would like to go to. :thumbsup:
It is a little more tricky on an offroad helmet but not impossible. You have to make a piece that fits in the vent area of the chin bar to stick a flat sticky mount on. There are some instructional videos out there. This and the mount on top of the helmet seem to be the most popular, but I know that I have hit the top of my helmet pretty hard on low limbs and such so I don't want the camera up there.
The chin bar is IMO the best place to put it. Also you can put the open back on the camera with some fuzz material to dampen wind noise and talk into the camera while riding. It would be good for practice runs and just playing around.

ZaGUByQ-QkM
"A life you don't live is still lost" Goo Goo Dolls
"Its not about the years of your life its about the life in your years" Abraham Lincon
92' Yamaha Seca II
14' KTM 200XC-W
Brian
arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Region:: Goes, Netherlands
Motorcycles:: Yamaha TT600 / BMW R 1150 GS
Netherlands

Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:59 am

MOzarkRider wrote:Also you can put the open back on the camera with some fuzz material to dampen wind noise and talk into the camera while riding. It would be good for practice runs and just playing around.
Why not just mount a stick on microphone on the inside of your helmet and then run a cable through the vent opening into the camera? That would greatly improve the sound quality and would be just as easy when you are doing that mount anyway. ;)
MOzarkRider
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:39 am

arnehulstein wrote:
MOzarkRider wrote:Also you can put the open back on the camera with some fuzz material to dampen wind noise and talk into the camera while riding. It would be good for practice runs and just playing around.
Why not just mount a stick on microphone on the inside of your helmet and then run a cable through the vent opening into the camera? That would greatly improve the sound quality and would be just as easy when you are doing that mount anyway. ;)
I would have to look into the microphone option, although I am not sure how much I would actually narrate or talk while riding... While racing I wouldn't talk at all, but while riding around, I am not sure if I could just talk to myself for no real apparent reason. It would probably come out a bit of senseless ramble that would not be that much fun to watch. But then again could be hysterical. The zachatk1 guys do a great job with this, but it is a decent sized production, usually at least two cameras and some heavy editing for time constraints. We will have to see in the future how much of a go I wanna make of producing these videos.
Heres a good example of a Zachatk1 vid:
LS7SI49NV4A

So what I need to do is strap a camera to Lance, my normal riding buddy and then have a spare I can throw on any other poor sap who decides to ride with us.. But that is a lot of GoPro money :quiet:
"Its not about the years of your life its about the life in your years" Abraham Lincon
92' Yamaha Seca II
14' KTM 200XC-W
Brian
arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Netherlands

Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:01 am

MOzarkRider wrote:I would have to look into the microphone option, although I am not sure how much I would actually narrate or talk while riding... While racing I wouldn't talk at all, but while riding around, I am not sure if I could just talk to myself for no real apparent reason. It would probably come out a bit of senseless ramble that would not be that much fun to watch. But then again could be hysterical.
You can still remove most of the 'noise' later and when you aren't talking, you can just narrate over it. But it might turn races into more fun when you get yourself to speak into your helmet what you are thinking. It might be a hoot.

MOzarkRider wrote:So what I need to do is strap a camera to Lance, my normal riding buddy and then have a spare I can throw on any other poor sap who decides to ride with us.. But that is a lot of GoPro money :quiet:
Or just get two el cheapo's action cams and mount one over the speedo facing you and one on the tail end showing you or backwards. Those would be easy to do some video processing on and make it all so much more entertaining to watch. We'll have MRSPN on YouTube soon. :thumbsup:
MOzarkRider
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:00 pm

This weekend's race has been postponed due to single digit race time temps and freezing rain. It has been rescheduled for March 1st. There are 2 races left in the series. :thumbsup:
92' Yamaha Seca II
14' KTM 200XC-W
Brian
MOzarkRider
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:59 pm

Race this weekend is postponed further, various weather reasons. Mostly Mud. People getting stuck in the parking lot, and all these races are on private property, so owners don't want everything absolutely destroyed. It's understanding. Next race is scheduled for March 7th.
92' Yamaha Seca II
14' KTM 200XC-W
Brian
MOzarkRider
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:06 am

OK, sorry for the updates with nothing really fun to look at... But here is another one.
The race that was postponed has been cancelled from the series all-together. The Final Race of the Series is this weekend. However I will not be going to it.... Instead I will be going to Round 1 of the Oklahoma Hare Scramble Championship (OHSC).

That's right Oklahoma.

There are a few reasons for all these events. The first being that the final race in the HBGP series is not likely to affect my position in the overall points. I am in 6th place right now and that is where I will stay. It is improbable that the person below me will overtake my position, he would have to podium to do so. I am willing to risk the one position. He may not even show up.

The Oklahoma series is a bit of a drive for me... 4+ hours depending on the location. But I am racing in a Team event. It is a two man team on a 2hr Harescramble. And I get to be on a team with a good friend of mine who lives in the area, so free couch camping for race weekends.

I figured the team events would be more fun than the solo races I go to.

So there it is, next week you guys will see a wrap up report from the HBGP Season... And a Kickoff Report and Race Report from Round 1 of the OHSC!

Stay tuned!
92' Yamaha Seca II
14' KTM 200XC-W
Brian
arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Netherlands

Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:17 am

Tuned.
MOzarkRider
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:46 pm

I don't have the video made yet, however I wanted to do an update.
My friend who was going to race with me this weekend had to work last minute. So instead of going to that race, I decided to the last race of the Hillbilly GP series. That means I did all but 1 race in the entire winter series this year. :thumbsup:

How was the race?
Well not good.... The course chewed me up and spit me out all battered and sore. I had a mistake in the first lap that cost me 10+ minutes, the rest of the race was completed at a slow to moderate pace. Due to conditions and course setup I did not feel comfortable and it shows. It was just an off day for me. But hey a bad day of racing is still better than anything else, except a good day of racing :)

So the results for the race are:
10th place out of 14 riders. 7 of which rode ONLY this race in the entire HBGP season. I suspect they were probably preparing for the upcoming Summer races. I got GOpro footage of all but the last half of my last lap. So there will be an excellent commentary video to watch when I make it.

How about for the season:
I came in 6th place Overall out of 53 riders who entered at least one race. There were 31 riders who only rode 1 round of the series, and 6 riders who only raced 2 rounds of the series. The rest I would consider series competitors. So that leaves 16 riders who rode competitively. I got 6th out of 16. Not too bad for my first ever competitive racing series.

Season Stats:
Overall Place: 6th
Best Class Finish: 5th @ Ozark 100 Miler
Best AM overall finish: 13th of 76 Riders @ RD5 Offroad 133 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9azf1rPI48
Worst Class Finish: 10th Place
Biggest Air: MX Track from RD1
Top Speed: 55mph @ RD5 Offroad 133
Worst Crash: 10+min @ RD8 Baldknobbers Roost

What's next for Barkbuster Racing?
The next race will be a special race... April 4th is the "Offroad Cup" it is a single race put on anually and it pits racing series' across the country together to determine which series is the most hardcore. It is a 9 hour Harescramble race where you race on a team of 3 riders. 3 riders, 9 hours, the only rule for subbing in riders/bikes is that if a rider/bike start a lap, that rider/bike has to finish that lap. Everything else is up to interpretation. We will be representing the Hillbilly GP series at the Cup. I have myself, my buddy Lance, and Weston(he is the HBGP C-Class overall champion). Weston will be our team anchor and Lance and I will just try not to screw up too bad lol...

I will post a video as soon as I make it.
92' Yamaha Seca II
14' KTM 200XC-W
Brian
arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Netherlands

Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:42 am

So, has anything fast happened lately?

Navigation:

Search