MOzark's Racing Logs

Share the ride report whether it be a day ride or a world trip.
MOzarkRider
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Region or State: Tucked in the Corner
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 92 Yamaha SecaII // 14KTM 200XCW

Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:01 pm

I think the land owners get to keep the gate fee money. Its $5 per person, but most of them are racers or friends of the race administration, they do it cause they enjoy the racing community. Most of the properties are unsuitable for livestock so the land is purely for fun. Or some lease out the land for hunting season.
"A life you don't live is still lost" Goo Goo Dolls
"Its not about the years of your life its about the life in your years" Abraham Lincon
92' Yamaha Seca II
14' KTM 200XC-W
Brian

arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Region or State: Goes, Netherlands
Motorcycles Owned Currently: BMW R 1150 GS
Netherlands

Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:24 am

Interesting. But I am living in a country where we have too many people per square meter to have any spare land for non-effective use. ;) (Oh, that does include forests because of nature regulations.)

MOzarkRider
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:39 pm

Racing Update:

The schedule wasn't kind to me finishing up the Hillbilly GP Harescramble series. February 14th had a scheduled event at Cassville MO which is only 35 minutes from my house. I had to fly out of the country for work that weekend and wouldn't have been able to attend. However, that weekend a major winter storm came through on Sunday and the race was postponed.

February 28th had a scheduled event at Bolivar MO which is 2 hours and 45min from my house. I came across a unique situation where I would be able to borrow a bass boat from a friend and a truck from my dad, giving me access to a boat and a truck for FREE! :) The only weekend we could coordinate all of that non-sense was the weekend of February 28th. So I missed this race.

The weekend after that, March 6th, the Cassville race was rescheduled. Since it is a short drive and I was free, it was time to go RACING!!!

It turned out to be a beautiful day, 60deg an sunny. The course was routed the same direction as it was the year before. This is probably because the hills at this place are so tall and so steep that going down the hill will kill the bike. Even if your bike is running perfect, the angle will force too much fuel into the carburetor and flood the bike. They are steep enough that you can go down but not up, hence why the route was not reversed as it usually is.

I have made a few friends at the Hillbilly GP races now after two seasons so it is a lot of fun to go to the events. I lined up next to Matt who rides a YZ250. He unfortunately had a bad tire and tube and his rear tire would not hold air. Even though the tire was flat he had already paid the entry and decided to give it a try anyway.

We line up and the flag drops. We're off! Cassville has zero field sections so the starting line was an area of brush that had been cleared just wide enough for everyone to line up. The first turn was only 25 yards from the start line! I get a great jump! wheelie off the line shift into second front wheel still in the air and then set it down just in time to start braking for the turn. We go 4 wide for the lead into the first corner.

I end up in 4th out of the first turn hot on the heels of the two in front of me! Down into the rocky creek we go, one more guy passes me on the inside of that turn. It turns out he was a little slower than I going through the creek, as I had a hard time passing him.

We come out of the rocky creek and I hit the gas! There is a small opening in the trail for a risky pass. I jump off a small berm and land just in front of the 4th place rider. I am now in 4th! I can see the leaders ahead as I work my way through the trees and tight trails, up the first large hill, no mistakes, I am hanging with the leaders.

2 miles in and I can still see 3rd place.

I come to the next large hill and blast up the right... DISASTER! I somehow get pointed in the wrong direction and go off the side of the hill. The side of the hill is steeper than the hill where the trail is. There is no working it up. I would have to walk the bike to the bottom and try again. After exhausting labor to work the bike to the bottom of the trail I end up wasting 10 minutes of time. By now the entire field is ahead of me and my position in my class has to be last place.

When I get to the top of the hill I take a couple minutes to regain my composure and continue on in the race. I fight my way through the field of riders, and end up putting in some decent laps. The course had a little bit of everything, except grass track. There was a motocross section with 3 small jumps and plenty of fun creeks and hills.

My Favorite Picture:

Matt ended up putting in two laps before his rear tire started falling off the rim. I fought back to 15th place out of 19 riders. By calculating the time on the video, I would have got 8th place had I not fallen off the hill. It was a very disappointing day for me, but I still had fun and I was not in any type of points race so it really didn't matter that much. Plus I got some FANTASTIC Pictures! My GoPro Camera was on and I got some good footage, but then like a goon I deleted it on accident! :thumbdown:

The last race of the season was at Branson, which isn't far from my house and was scheduled for March 13th. This is Back to Back with the Cassville race, which wouldn't be a problem but Round 1 of the Oklahoma Hare Scramble Championship was March 20th, and I did not want to miss that race! So I didn't go to the Branson HBGP race, since it would have been back to back to back race weekends which would be expensive.

So this closes out my Hillbilly GP 2015/2016 series. I didn't do as well this year as I did last year. I think the competition was much better this year. My best finish was 12th and I only ended up going to 4 races due to scheduling and travel distance. I ended 18th out of 60+ competitors that registered for at least one race.

Next up is the Oklahoma Hare Scramble Championship series. I raced the first race of this series on Sunday and I am stoked to go to more of these races. The tracks are so easy compared to the HBGP series and you can carry a lot more speed. More from this in the next few days. Stay tuned the Racing action isn't going away anytime soon!
"Its not about the years of your life its about the life in your years" Abraham Lincon
92' Yamaha Seca II
14' KTM 200XC-W
Brian

arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Netherlands

Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:35 pm

Bad luck on the fall of the hill, but great pictures!

arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Netherlands

Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:51 pm

Watched Erzberg the other day. Had to think of you. How is your racing? ;)

MOzarkRider
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:52 pm

Summer is dead time for racing on my end. Its too hot for a hobby rider like me, and theres fishing to do in the summer!

I raced RD1 of the Oklahoma harescramble series. The race was fun, but I lost my gopro somewhere on the trails. It got hit on a tree and is now somwhere in Oklahoma. :thumbdown:

Racing will resume in the fall.
92' Yamaha Seca II
14' KTM 200XC-W
Brian

arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Netherlands

Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:24 am

MOzarkRider wrote: Racing will resume in the fall.
And has it? ;)

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us