fateddy's explorations

Share the ride report whether it be a day ride or a world trip.
fateddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Region:: North Colorado
Motorcycles:: 1996 XJ600N, 1991 Suzuki DR350
United States of America

Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:24 am

Fall is upon us here in the Rockies. I came out of the wilderness last week to find all the aspens and cottonwoods turning yellow, orange, and red up in the higher passes. Yesterday, I woke up, grabbed some coffee and put my new VStar 650 shock on. Easiest mod I've done so far, it was finished before breakfast. I used the extra time to clean and lube the chain. Still no stretching after a couple thousand miles. Then the lady and I headed up a couple canyons in search of foliage.

Here is the exit of Rist Canyon Road into Stove Prairie, a nice little valley at about 7500 feet after the road tops out at about 8000. Lots of super tight curves, family farms, and nice views. Hopefully this little road will be included in the 2015 rally. Very thrilling to ride two up, I hardly ever got above 35 mph in 3rd gear.

We continued out to the Cache La Poudre Canyon and kept heading up in search of turning leaves. An impending storm and a hip cramp turned us around at about 8000 feet. But we were close enough to see some above us by a couple hundred feet.

Farther back down the canyon, we stopped for a snack and a drink. Couldn't find any Cherry Mash, despite scouring the shelves.
There's still a few old dial-type gas pumps around the hills. The novelty of them doesn't really make up for the gas prices. :o
But 42 mpg is nice.

This was easily my favorite two up ride ever. The new suspension made everything very solid and planted in the turns, even across some loose gravel. The correctly-tuned carbs were the best feeling in the world, though. I was able to keep it at about 6000 rpm most of the time, and only ever used the brakes on steep descents. Man I love this bike.
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
gliderpilot
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region:: SCOTLAND!
Motorcycles:: '95 xj600s

Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:07 pm

Nice pics, fateddy, keep them coming please. :thumbsup:
That is a neat tankbag you've got there: I've just ordered one myself but I have the horrible feeling it'll be too big. Hopefully not... Interesting comment about the gas prices, I couldn't quite make out the price. Was that $6 for 15 gallons??!? Here it's currently around £1.28 per litre, £5.80 per gallon (imperial, 4.54 litres). Expensive, but I am so glad our bikes sip fuel...
Great to see more of your country, thanks for posting.
xjman
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Region:: Thame nr Oxford UK
Motorcycles:: 1990 XJ600F

Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:00 pm

fantastic country you have there
Bender: I support and oppose many things, but not strongly enough to pick up a pen.

fateddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:06 pm

gliderpilot wrote:Nice pics, fateddy, keep them coming please. :thumbsup:
That is a neat tankbag you've got there: I've just ordered one myself but I have the horrible feeling it'll be too big. Hopefully not... Interesting comment about the gas prices, I couldn't quite make out the price. Was that $6 for 15 gallons??!? Here it's currently around £1.28 per litre, £5.80 per gallon (imperial, 4.54 litres). Expensive, but I am so glad our bikes sip fuel...
Great to see more of your country, thanks for posting.
$4.19 per gallon, so $6.40 for 1.5 gal. I have to admit that our prices are pretty easy compared to most of Europe. But $4.19 is a little steep for here. It's usually about $3.50 - $3.75 around my area lately.
fateddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:06 pm

Looks like I'm done riding for a while. I screwed up some stuff in my left wrist during field work and can't work a clutch now. So it goes.
fateddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:11 am

This weekend's weather was spectacular. I couldn't pass up on a ride. My wrist is mostly back to normal, so I figured I could handle a little ride. I just won't tell my physical therapist about it lest I receive a chewing-out.

Rist Canyon is an awesome ride that's almost literally out my front door. It starts at about 5100 feet and summits at a little over 8000 feet. It's roughly 12 miles from the canyon entrance (well, the start of the fun turns, anyway) to the summit, and I count 20 - 28 turns, depending on how fast you're going.

Like this:

Still some fall colors hanging on.

Summit. Winter is coming from the west.

This is far enough out in the sticks that the roads don't get plowed. As such, the mailman stops here.

That was probably the most spirited ride I've taken in a long time. Clean road, great temperature, good visibility, and the bike was running perfectly. Feels good to push a bike close its limits.
mikee112
User Administrator
User Administrator
Region:: UK
Motorcycles:: '99 Yamaha XJ 600n
Great Britain

Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:28 pm

Wow ..all those mail boxes in a row, do they only get used in the winter, or all year round ?
we don't generally have mail boxes in the UK, the mail man has to walk down every pathway/driveway and post your mail through the "letterbox" on the front door... takes 'em hours ;)
Nelsonmd
FAQ Moderator
FAQ Moderator
Region:: New England
Motorcycles:: 92 XJ600S; 2002 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:55 pm

mikee112 wrote:Wow ..all those mail boxes in a row, do they only get used in the winter, or all year round ?
we don't generally have mail boxes in the UK, the mail man has to walk down every pathway/driveway and post your mail through the "letterbox" on the front door... takes 'em hours ;)
Yeah but then you need more mailmen to cover an area; politicians call that job creation! YAY! :clap:

Usually mailboxes like that are just so the mailman doesn't have to go to every house because the houses aren't accessible all year round, too far apart, on dirt roads, etc. Some places the mail carriers have vehicles capable of getting there, but not most.
NelsonMD's 92 XJ600 Project Thread

M̶y̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶l̶o̶v̶e̶:̶ I don't love her so much anymore... NelsonMD's 4Runner Build Thread

New (primary) ride: 2002 Suzuki V-Strom 1000
gliderpilot
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region:: SCOTLAND!
Motorcycles:: '95 xj600s

Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:48 pm

Looks like an awesome ride, fateddy! Good surface, quiet road, sunshine...just 'what the doctor ordered'!
Here, unfortunately, it's raining again... :cry:
fateddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:04 pm

mikee112 wrote:Wow ..all those mail boxes in a row, do they only get used in the winter, or all year round ?
They get used year round, from what I can tell. The road that cuts off the highway there leads back into a pretty remote area with several ranches and most properties seem to be pretty spread out. I imagine that at one time, the local postmaster decided that it wasn't worth the wear and tear on a postal service vehicle (or worth the extra wages for a rural carrier, who usually use their personal vehicles) to deliver back there. I think that little wooden chicken coop lookin thing at the end of the row is probably a parcel box for UPS/FedEx/DHL/etc and all mailbox holders have a key to it.
Nelsonmd wrote:Some places the mail carriers have vehicles capable of getting there, but not most.
Our local post office actually does have a little fleet of old Willys Jeeps that appear to be from the 70s at least. Neat little things. I'll see if I can grab a picture of one.

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us