fateddy's explorations

Share the ride report whether it be a day ride or a world trip.
arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Region:: Goes, Netherlands
Motorcycles:: Yamaha TT600 / BMW R 1150 GS
Netherlands

Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:44 am

LeighTower wrote: Hahaha! Good one, Arne! Well done!
Welcome to the Dutch way of doing things LeighTower. We never really break the law. Just work around it. ;)
fateddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Region:: North Colorado
Motorcycles:: 1996 XJ600N, 1991 Suzuki DR350
United States of America

Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:51 pm

So radare and I went for a ride last week.

Forgot to take pictures again.
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
fateddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:10 pm

The last day of sliding on an expensive piece of wood season was a good one. Nice and slushy so you could really throw down some hard turns.
arnehulstein
Yearns for The Scrambler
Region:: Goes, Netherlands
Motorcycles:: Yamaha TT600 / BMW R 1150 GS
Netherlands

Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:36 am

Ah, there you are. And you are def not doing your forum name justice. ;)
fateddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:46 pm

If things go my way, I will be attempting this when I have time to breathe between fieldwork, hopefully early August. There will be a trip report and pictures.

And I will listen to this six or seven times:
na_88kQpXAE
Miatamaniacmike
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region:: Colorado
Motorcycles:: 1997 Yamaha Seca II

Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:13 pm

fateddy wrote:If things go my way, I will be attempting this when I have time to breathe between fieldwork, hopefully early August. There will be a trip report and pictures.

And I will listen to this six or seven times:
na_88kQpXAE
Are you planning on doing this route over a weekend? I'd love to ride at least from Glenwood Springs to Copper Mountain, if not just planning on meeting you in FoCo (used to love going to FoCo on the weekends when I was going to school in Laramie, WY).
Check out the resto/mod of my '97 XJ600S: http://xjrider.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4445
fateddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:51 pm

My aforementioned trip has been pushed back due to work and life.

However, I'll be making a day trip somewhere this weekend to take pictures of my bike in front of things.

Maybe something like this:
Dubbs
Lookin' Around
Lookin' Around
Region:: KY
Motorcycles:: 1994 Yamaha XJ600

Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:02 pm

fateddy wrote:So radare and I went for a ride last week.

Forgot to take pictures again.

Great pic, love the opposite color scheme
fateddy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:17 am

Radare and I went for a ride yesterday. We planned on doing this:

Which would take us through Rocky Mtn National Park via Trail Ridge Road, then down Hwy 40 through Winter Park and eventually back up into the mountains via the Peak to Peak Highway and Hwy 119, two of the nation's (supposedly) most scenic mountain roads.

Here's the bikes reuniting at our rendezvous:

Here's my bike near the summit of Trail Ridge Road at a little over 12000 feet. The bike ran poorly but got me through. That's a new set of saddlebags that I wanted to test out.

There's a couple elk just out of site:

A young yellow-bellied marmot:

When you're at the top, there's views in all directions.

I didn't capture the hordes of cars up there, but rest assured we were only two of a couple hundred people.

After a long descent into Winter Park, we stopped at a little community park with a pond for a picnic.

So I have no more pictures of this ride because things deviated from the plan beginning after lunch. My battery was pretty much flat, and I had been suspecting a dying regulator/rectifier up to this point. "No matter," I said, "I can always bump start." Which I did. We made it down to I-70, which was under construction with bumper to bumper traffic, and it had to have been about 100 degrees. Both our bikes started suffering, and mine actually died twice from the heat. Fortunately, I was able to scramble down the lane and bump start and keep the revs high, much to the amusement of the occupants of cars around me. We decided to take an early exit to find an alternate route to the fun roads. At this point, my bike was deader than a hammer. No bump starting, no wheeze, nothing at all. After monkeying around with stuff and several team attempts at bump starting (now a hundred yards down a curvy shoulderless road from where we'd started), we pulled radare's battery and jumped my bike from it using a socket rail and a screwdriver. After keeping things reliably running, we made it into Idaho Springs and repeated the same performance in a gas station parking lot. Run-bump-puttputtputtplbblbb. Take everything apart. Jump with spare metal things. Fortunately, we were only 32 miles from radare's house, where he had (of course) a currently unused rectifier on PBT and a spare battery. After swapping parts out, we hotfooted it back up the road and made an uneventful trip home by way of Boulder to drop radare off.

So my advice:
Part 1: Everyone go buy an extra rectifier/regulator and keep it under your seat. I've seen a lot of posts and threads on this forum with some version of "battery won't charge, what's up?" It's the rectifier/regulator. These little doodads build up a lot of heat on their own operation (hence the cooling fins on them) and are right behind the engine, under a panel that does not let much air circulate. This kind of high heat cycling is just hell on all kinds of parts, but the consequences are at minimum, extremely irritating. When they fail, it could leave you stranded. If you like to ride alone way out in the weeds like I do, that could get dicey.

Part 2: When you already know that a part on your bike is failing, especially one that may leave you in a less-than-mobile state, STAY AT HOME. The responsible thing for me to do would have not thought, "Oh, I can just bump start it if the battery dies." The responsible thing would have been to not drag someone else into my situation.

At any rate, it was still a pretty good ride and I am in radare's debt for once again getting me back on the road. Check out his ride report (hopefully) for many more pictures than I've provided and perhaps some video.
mikee112
User Administrator
User Administrator
Region:: UK
Motorcycles:: '99 Yamaha XJ 600n
Great Britain

Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:19 pm

It's a real shame when, what starts off being a real nice ride, gets spoilt by a breakdown :( , I suppose it's always a possibility especially on an older bike.... I always worry about getting a flat tyre, I really must start carrying some sort of "get you home, squirty pumpy gloop" :ponder:

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us