Today's Forecast: INVALID

Talk about that last great ride or perhaps, the next one. Ride reports here.
SpeedRacerOnline
Buyin' the Goods, Online!
Buyin' the Goods, Online!

Everybody in Michigan knows that here, if you don't like the weather, just wait a few minutes; it'll change. We also know that meteorologists cannot be trusted. It's not that the person is not trustworthy or doesn't know their job; Michigan is just very unpredictable. That said, it's not usually THIS bad! I checked the forecast at 5:30 am when I headed out the door, and it said 68 F and cloudy today with a 20% chance of showers at 6 am, no rain through the morning, and a 20% chance of showers/t-storms at 3 pm (just when I clock out). That usually means the ride in will be fine (that's all I really care about so I'm not wet at work all day), and there will probably be no rain in the afternoon either (but I don't care if I get wet on the way home, anyway). As I walked out to the bike, I felt a couple random raindrops, but not enough to care about. I clock in at 6 am, so I figured I might see a sprinkle on the way, but nothing much.

I live in Michigan. I should know better.

About halfway in, it started raining; not real heavy, but it was raining, not sprinkling or "showers". I was soaked. My "waterproof" Firstgear Jaunt jacket is definitely NOT waterproof, but it kept me mostly dry. I don't have pants yet, though, so my jeans, socks, and shoes were saturated. Then, I had a little scare when I tried to pass a slow mover on a side road. I've noticed the road is particularly polished looking before, and my rear tire started to spin when I grabbed the throttle to pass. I let off and tried again more smoothly, and fortunately, nothing came of that but an increased heart beat!

I made it to work, and spent the first 4-5 hours at work cold in the A/C with wet clothes. Unfortunately, it didn't stop like it was supposed to. It rained all day long. I ended up staying at work until 5 pm to make up some hours, and it was still raining! I had to drive home in soaking rain, and in the middle of 5 pm traffic, so there was tons of road mist. This time, the jacket didn't do as well. I was totally thoroughly saturated when I got home. Believe me, the picture doesn't do it justice. I had to wring out my socks, water squished out of my shoes when I walked, when I hung my jacket up it dripped from the sleeves, and my shirt was all-over damp. Heck, I even had to hang my boxers up to dry!

Welcome to Michigan; where Mother Nature tells meteorologists to screw off.

"I want to drive. I want to feel all of it: freedom, wind, curves, feedback, acceleration, unsteadiness, fear, joy... I don't want to ride. I want to drive."
- Speed's XJ Journal

This topic has 4 replies

You must be a registered member and logged in to view the replies in this topic.

Register Login