WINDY

Share the ride report whether it be a day ride or a world trip.
Full Circle
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Region or State: Ontario, Canada
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 07 FZ6

Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:04 pm

Been dealing with gust here too, cross and head on...seems the stock windscreen does a decent job for me. My helmet isn't getting knocked around but I sure can feel it in the shoulders.

Twisted throttle shows these as fitting the stock bikes anyone ever use them, or something similar?

MRA X-creen Add-On

or they have a touring shield

MRA Touring

but I've read, and now been told by twisted throttle, the stock replacement or the touring screen is at least a month long wait as they order them from germany.

I checked out MRA home site and if you click on any of the windscreens that come up, just below the pic of the screen you have an option for an animated windtunnel shot, it was kinda neat to see the differences.

MRA Screens Wind Tunnel

Bigfeet51
Keeps up on the news!
Keeps up on the news!
Region or State: LONG ISLAND NY
Motorcycles Owned Currently: Yamaha Seca II 92
St Lucia

Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:58 pm

MOzarkRider
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Region or State: Tucked in the Corner
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 92 Yamaha SecaII // 14KTM 200XCW

Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:19 am

I actually found that leaning the opposite way of a crosswind and hiding behind the bike seems to cut down on the wind pushing you around. So if the wind is blowing from the right I tuck in behind the left side of the tank. But eventually the wind gets strong enough where the best thing to do is slow down and just get to your destination. Riding in high winds and riding in the dark are my least favorite riding conditions... They both make me nervous and uncomfortable.
"A life you don't live is still lost" Goo Goo Dolls
"Its not about the years of your life its about the life in your years" Abraham Lincon
92' Yamaha Seca II
14' KTM 200XC-W
Brian

Bigfeet51
Keeps up on the news!
Keeps up on the news!
St Lucia

Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:19 am

Mozark, I so agree with you about riding in the wind and the dark. This is why I created this thread so I can hear other riders views on how they handle the wind.

Yesterday I was riding on a major highway and the wind was making it difficult to keep the bike steady. While struggling in this wind 3 motorcycle riders speeds pass me with no windshield on there bikes to protect them from the wind. While they passed me I had this look of confusion on face...lol. Started asking myself "why isn't the wind affecting there ride".

things I need to make my ride better in the wind

Adjustable Wind Deflector
Blind spot mirrors ( to see better when using the windshield to protect you from the wind)

Golly
One of the Regulars
One of the Regulars
Region or State: Perth, Western Australia
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1992 XJ600 Seca II

Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:39 am

Yeah those blindspot mirrors look the go Bigfeet, going to give them a go I am bud. That video showed a good setup of them, they are cheap as here in Oz. :kudos:

Bigfeet51
Keeps up on the news!
Keeps up on the news!
St Lucia

Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:49 am

Bigfeet51 wrote:Confidence is one of the keys. Im wondering if a adjustable windshield could be attacthed to the Seca. I went over sevaral bridges this past weekend and a diaper would've been helpful because I damn near sh%$#@! my pants a few times.

Whle searching the web I found this picture of a Seca with a extended windshield....... It also looks adjustable

1Oldman
XJ600 Master!
XJ600 Master!
Region or State: West Coast
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 1993 Yamaha Seca II

Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:40 am

I saw something similar to the browsing around the other day. It may even be on one of the links you posted. In any case, that particular set up looks like it puts a whole lot of stress on the windscreen it's mounted on. It would be better to have a bigger windscreen make like you want it. The are people around that deal in plastic and do that sort of thing on a routine basis. They can cut the plastic to any size and shape you wand and bend it to shape. I'm not sure how they do on double curves tho. I had a windscreen made for my Honda with a Vetter fairing a long time ago in Dallas.
Better to be over the hill than under it.

SpeedRacerOnline
Buyin' the Goods, Online!
Buyin' the Goods, Online!
Region or State: Michigan
Motorcycles Owned Currently: '92 & '93 Yamaha XJ600S, '74 Suzuki TS185 Sierra
United States of America

Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:30 am

I live in a very rural area in Michigan. The roads are long, straight, and flat which makes any breeze feel worse because there's nothing to slow it down before it sideswipes you on the road. Plus, there's no relief; just the constant blast all the time. As miserable as I find riding in strong winds, though, that's not the worst part. Because there is so much farmland, there are a LOT of semi-trucks on the road all the time; particularly farm trucks hauling product from in from the fields. Farm trucks are about as aerodynamic as Fat Albert with a snowsuit on. When one of them goes by the other direction, you just get totally beat up by the rippling wake of wind it pushes out of the way. Add to that the fact that they are filthy vehicles, and you get positively sandblasted at the same time (hurts the knees with shorts on). If it happens to be a breezy day (20 mph winds), I make sure to tuck behind the windscreen every time one of them goes by. Otherwise, hold on to the bars pretty tight, and prepare to be whipped all over the lane. The only thing worse than that is getting stuck behind one doing 50 mph, creating a terrible wake of wind behind it, and throwing dirt/sand like a hurricane. I need some mountains.
"I want to drive. I want to feel all of it: freedom, wind, curves, feedback, acceleration, unsteadiness, fear, joy... I don't want to ride. I want to drive."
- Speed's XJ Journal

LeighTower
XJ Enthusiast
XJ Enthusiast
Region or State: Maine
Motorcycles Owned Currently: 2015 FZ-07 (now) 1993 XJ600SE, 1989 XJ750 Virago

Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:00 pm

Wow! Impressive description, Speed! I can almost feel that grit and buffeting myself!
Best ride ever taken? The last one. I live for the next.

Bigfeet51
Keeps up on the news!
Keeps up on the news!
St Lucia

Sun May 08, 2016 6:50 am

Guys, I'm thinking about going naked with my Seca (red bananas) but riding in the wind with a windshield is tough, so imagine riding without one. Many of you guys have gone naked so I would like some feedback and stories of riding without a windshield.

Navigation:

Search

Unread Posts

The Wall

Gallery

About Us

Call to Action:

Forum Images

Ride Relay

Cool Projects:

Predrag's Resto

Renegade's 93